kate-miller-i-will-not-thank-farmer

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Re: kate-miller-i-will-not-thank-farmer

Post by mrj » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:03 am

It's likely the world would be a better, happier, friendlier place if we all thanked more people whose paths we cross while living and making a living.
-
It has been my privilege to participate in various workshops, some involving talking directly with consumers in a smallish group....maybe 50 or fewer people, attempting to learn what consumers of beef really want from cattle producers.

A major point was that, of course they want proper care of the animals from birth to the plate. They would LIKE to know the ranch of origin, but lacking that, knowing that food is properly handled all through the links from farm to plate is most important.

It is a great idea, but not all of us who produce beef, or any other food product, for that matter, has the time, ability, etc. to do that. Good for those who do, and great that those of us who do not, can rely upon the modern food processing and marketing systems which have developed over time and effort from many entities involved in those systems. Not the least of which are the systems which make the end product so beneficial, safe, and affordable for so many people across the entire world, for that matter.

We feel privileged to have been able to work with the Beef Check Off and local, state, and National Cattlemen to make those systems better for ALL of us, producers and consumers.

mrj

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Post by mrj » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:22 am

Comments above are mine, but I couldn't figure out how to sign my name too it and don't want to deny responsibility for my words! I also believe consumers want "ranch of origin" rather than "country of origin" according to comments from consumers at various listening sessions with consumers.

mrj

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 am

I agree, mrj. I see many private labels marked with the ranch of origin and people love it, except those that are looking
to purchase by cost only.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Traveler » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Have heard the argument ad nauseam about how it is such a burden to put what country that our meat comes from on the label and that consumers don't give a damn......but tada! What ranch it was raised on, on the label, isn't such a logistical issue. Not buying that argument.

How about the ranch of origin from somewhere in South America with foot and mouth disease? Something the consumer could really sink their teeth into.