• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Steak in Genomics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

so why isn't a steak for sale yet that is the product of all this marketing?

taste panel tests, marbling and shear force commercials.

Very interesting thoughts about DNA testing and related. And you are exactly correct...........more tools will get you where you are going.

Cavet is that "if you are driving on the wrong road........going faster will only get you there quicker."

Can you guys tell us what the links are talking about?

I am very seriously considering a jump to AI because of the Meat traits. I also am looking at the Zoetis tests on my females to make cuts in replacements.

Those who know me know my philosophy that Bulls are better at breeding than I am and enjoy it more. so, it takes a bit for me to jump on these things ;-}

PPRM said:

I am very seriously considering a jump to AI because of the Meat traits. I also am looking at the Zoetis tests on my females to make cuts in replacements.

Those who know me know my philosophy that Bulls are better at breeding than I am and enjoy it more. so, it takes a bit for me to jump on these things ;-}
PPRM-
The Zoetis GeneMax test explains about 18% of the variation in marbling and post-weaning growth. It is designed for commercial cattle that are at least 75% Angus.
The Zoetis 50KHD test is for purebred Angus and explains about 35-40% of the variation for 16 EPDs.
Dave Patterson at MU has some nice figures about the cost of AI versus buying a bull. Costs are the same, but you can afford much better genetics with AI.

HerefordGuy said:
PPRM said:

PPRM-
The Zoetis GeneMax test explains about 18% of the variation in marbling and post-weaning growth. It is designed for commercial cattle that are at least 75% Angus.
The Zoetis 50KHD test is for purebred Angus and explains about 35-40% of the variation for 16 EPDs.
Dave Patterson at MU has some nice figures about the cost of AI versus buying a bull. Costs are the same, but you can afford much better genetics with AI.

Thanks... I was at a Bull Sale that had 50K results on the bulls. I told Larry Gran, "I am watching the Docility scores as these guys come in. It is incredibly predictable". I didn't realize there was a tenderness score. That would be pretty helpful!

I watched some nice bulls go for $12-15K last Saturday. I felt I could buy a lot of straws from the sires of those bulls for that amount. I say that as a guy who firmly believes a bull is ay more talented and interested in breeding a cow than I am ;-}

I have used the Zoetis 50KHD on one herd bull and GeneSeek GGP-HD on another... Those results and resulting changes in the EPD's have seemed to hold true for as much as I can tell so far... Especially watching such traits as calving ease, BW, growth, mature height and weight and docility...

If anyone is in northeast Montana- on Tuesday March 11th Dr. Blane Loww, with Zoetis will be discussing heifer development and reviewing a herds reproductive performance overall... This will be at the Cottonwood Inn... 6:30 PM Supper and discussion following...
RSVP at Valley Vet Clinic (228-2437) by March 5th...

Latest posts