• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Steak in Genomics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have also done some testing with 50k
With my own breeding (which is a outcross to most Angus bloodlines)
I read the results as my cattle DNA does not have much on file to compare the AAA adjusts the Epds to more accuracy and the numbers change a bit one way or another. With more and more DNA coming breeders WILL
Find something wrong with any animal
50k RFI and DMI numbers are going to be very important

What I do not like is breeders trying to find out the accuracy numbers of the 50k after the Angus Association has already adjusted the EPDs and picking away on it

I think every rancher should 50k there herd sires registered or commercial

Oldtimer said:
I have used the Zoetis 50KHD on one herd bull and GeneSeek GGP-HD on another... Those results and resulting changes in the EPD's have seemed to hold true for as much as I can tell so far... Especially watching such traits as calving ease, BW, growth, mature height and weight and docility...

If anyone is in northeast Montana- on Tuesday March 11th Dr. Blane Loww, with Zoetis will be discussing heifer development and reviewing a herds reproductive performance overall... This will be at the Cottonwood Inn... 6:30 PM Supper and discussion following...
RSVP at Valley Vet Clinic (228-2437) by March 5th...

It is really pretty incredible technology. The docility thing blew me away as I watched bulls I saw with high numbers (Meaning not docile) come into the ring and be blowing all around. LOL, lots of ext in those cattle BTW!

I saw some bulls with great numbers I wouldn't own. As I think about it, one thing comes to mind. We don't have the numbers on everything. Did some of those bulls that looked narrow just get sick at a point and never pull back comparatively? I dunno, but it helped reaffirm to me that this is another tool. A good one. But it doesn't by itself measure everything and the eye has some value. The eye simply can't see it all though.

PPRM said:
Oldtimer said:
I have used the Zoetis 50KHD on one herd bull and GeneSeek GGP-HD on another... Those results and resulting changes in the EPD's have seemed to hold true for as much as I can tell so far... Especially watching such traits as calving ease, BW, growth, mature height and weight and docility...

If anyone is in northeast Montana- on Tuesday March 11th Dr. Blane Loww, with Zoetis will be discussing heifer development and reviewing a herds reproductive performance overall... This will be at the Cottonwood Inn... 6:30 PM Supper and discussion following...
RSVP at Valley Vet Clinic (228-2437) by March 5th...

It is really pretty incredible technology. The docility thing blew me away as I watched bulls I saw with high numbers (Meaning not docile) come into the ring and be blowing all around. LOL, lots of ext in those cattle BTW!

I saw some bulls with great numbers I wouldn't own. As I think about it, one thing comes to mind. We don't have the numbers on everything. Did some of those bulls that looked narrow just get sick at a point and never pull back comparatively? I dunno, but it helped reaffirm to me that this is another tool. A good one. But it doesn't by itself measure everything and the eye has some value. The eye simply can't see it all though.

Yep its just another tool... As far as your comparative bulls I've heard some like Larry Leonard and Keeney talk about how you can take a low input raised middle of the road $1500 bull with the same genetics as a $10,000 bull test fattened stand out bull and expect to get pretty much the same results in calves... The management, promotion, and price doesn't change the genetics...
I think as the DNA data base gets built up you will see this show up more....

I've heard some like Larry Leonard and Keeney talk about how you can take a low input raised middle of the road $1500 bull with the same genetics as a $10,000 bull test fattened stand out bull and expect to get pretty much the same results in calves.

DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!!

The best genomic test will only explain 50 percent of the variation for a given trait as of the last calibration. When will the AAA start using AHIR data to build genomic prediction equations instead of basing it off a EPD.

I have genomic tested the last 4 years of herd bulls and some of the oldest females and find the lastest 50k test fairly accurate.

PATB said:
The best genomic test will only explain 50 percent of the variation for a given trait as of the last calibration. When will the AAA start using AHIR data to build genomic prediction equations instead of basing it off a EPD.

I have genomic tested the last 4 years of herd bulls and some of the oldest females and find the lastest 50k test fairly accurate.

Watching the dispositions at that Bull sale really got me to realizing the genetic component is only part. It was a really high correlation that day as to what I saw. Big outfit and one particular group of Bulls were especially quieter than the scores indicated they should be. Perhaps this group of cattle had been handled a lot by a person differently than the others?

And, some kind of thinner looking bulls with great numbers... Maybe these got sick at some point? Maybe they just didn't wean well?

I think a lot of what they are realizing is still new and they will begin to implement more. I think they are just getting a sizable enough population of results to do more as well.

I was first introduced to this by Zoetis. But it really seems AAA driven. My expectation is that you are going to eventually see a lot of source verified CAB in the CAB program with some tie back to tenderness. Tenderness is the one economically important trait to the CAB program that has never been directly tied back to the feeder or rancher in terms of grid premium or discount.

Marbling seemed only somewhat correlated to the tenderness scores I saw on that test. But it was the best indicator we used to have.

The other thing that has me pretty excited is the ability to move the average and also find things out about my cattle I never really knew before. We direct market Beef. Getting an idea on tenderness scores in my cows simply seems huge! We do really well in providing the environment to produce tender Beef. It would be nice to know if I have cows that translate into making this an uphill battle.

In the past, we had only EPD's. While they have helped a lot, pulling the average up by improving the top end of your genetic profiles has a certain generational speed. Another way to move my average is recognizing the bottom end and getting them out of my program. In the past, I had only EPD's and my eye to do this.

My payoff is understandably different than a lot of peoples. I don't have the huge numbers and my market is both direct marketing and the grid for those cattle I take onto Tyson. Depending on the test, $17.00 or even $28.00 feels pretty cheap for the information I feel this could get me.

Few updates and questions about my blog.

First off, I have created a Facebook page for my blog and extension program. If Facebook is your thing and you enjoy beef genetics and genomics, please like my Facebook page and share it with your friends. https://www.facebook.com/SteakGenomics

Second, new blog post announcing the Cattlemen's Boot Camp we will be hosting this July. Let me know if you have questions about the Boot Camp.

Third, I have received complaints about being a troll on another message board . (I guess this is karma for me, knabe? :wink: ) I assume those of you interested in my blog, click on the new posts. Those of you not interested in the blog scroll on by. If this is not the case and this thread bothers you, send me a message and I will stop posting about my blog on Ranchers.net.

I appreciate all of the visits to my blog by members of this message board.

Thanks,
Jared Decker

HerefordGuy said:
Few updates and questions about my blog.

First off, I have created a Facebook page for my blog and extension program. If Facebook is your thing and you enjoy beef genetics and genomics, please like my Facebook page and share it with your friends. https://www.facebook.com/SteakGenomics

Second, new blog post announcing the Cattlemen's Boot Camp we will be hosting this July. Let me know if you have questions about the Boot Camp.

Third, I have received complaints about being a troll on another message board . (I guess this is karma for me, knabe? :wink: ) I assume those of you interested in my blog, click on the new posts. Those of you not interested in the blog scroll on by. If this is not the case and this thread bothers you, send me a message and I will stop posting about my blog on Ranchers.net.

I appreciate all of the visits to my blog by members of this message board.

Thanks,
Jared Decker

If your just posting you posts on your own thread like you do here and not hijacking thread how do they figure your a Troll/ :?

Your posting articles of interest to some cattlemen and if they are interested it's there for the reading. i sure can't see a problem in that. :D

I hope people using ranchersnet are sensible enough to either appreciate your ranch/beef related information, or to pass it by if they don't want to read it. Keep up your good information!

mrj

It looks like the Angus Boot Camp is entirely conducted by current by Univertiy staff
If so I will request for a refund from the boot camp

Latest posts