• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

“Eggs” How do you pack them?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
"Eggs" How do you pack them?

On our Packing Trips into Wilderness Areas I Water Glass eggs (to keep them FRESH) and pack them in with the grain for the horses.

Some Schools have contest to see if a student can pack an egg so that it dose not break when dropped.

If you pack eggs this way in a small box or plastic bag they don't break (if each egg has grain all around It)

[Old :cboy: Old Trick]

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95595.htm

Eggs Float When They're Bad
One day on the Morning Show, Murray rang in and asked, "Is it true that when an egg has gone bad it will float, and why?" ??The egg shell has up to 17,000 tiny pores on its surface. The egg even can absorb flavours through these pores.. ??It's these pores that make a bad egg float. If an egg goes bad, it's usually thanks to bacteria that got in through those tiny pores, that generated some gas in there. This gas increases the pressure inside the egg. After a while, not only does this extra pressure inside push out the gas, but it will also push out some liquid (such as the yolk and the white) through the pores.
Salmonella
water glass or soluble glass,colorless, transparent, glasslike substance available commercially as a powder or as a transparent, viscous solution in water. Chemically it is sodium silicate, potassium silicate, or a mixture of these. It is prepared by fusing sodium or potassium carbonate with sand or by heating sodium or potassium hydroxide with sand under pressure. Water glass is very soluble in water, but the glassy solid dissolves slowly, even in boiling water. Water glass has adhesive properties and is fire resistant. It is used as a detergent; as a cement for glass, pottery, and stoneware; for fireproofing paper, wood, cement, and other substances; for fixing pigments in paintings and cloth printing; and for preserving eggs (it fills the pores in the eggshell, preventing entrance of air)]/u].

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0851590.html

I heard you were supposed to put them in the oatmeal box also.

Put two eggs in a sealed baggie in seperate corners and twist in opposite directions. Put them back into the egg carton. That way, if they break, they don't mix and you can still make scrambled eggs. :wink:

reader (the Second) said:
M.I.T. has an annual contest for the engineering students to invent a way to drop an egg from a 2 story building so it doesn't break when it hits the pavement. At my son's junior high school the kids had to do this too and it was fascinating to see the things they came up with -- eggs with wings, etc.

Look for M.I.T. and "eggs" on Internet.

Sooo, Humpty Dumpty would not need all of the Kings horses and all of the King's men? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oat or grain sacks packed in make a pretty good egg carrier. I don't know the details, but son does it that way.

I dont know how healthy it is but some outfitters crack the eggs open and put the un cooked yokes and whites in tuberware.
What I do is cut an old egg container up. I cut up the little cup parts of the egg carton and place these over the tops of the eggs that are placed in a tuberware egg container that is designed for eggs. The little cups that I place on top of the eggs keeps them snug enough that they wont break so easily.

Latest posts