• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

10 minute job becomes 2 hour job

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Heifer

Reaction score
Nothing quite like turning a 10 minute job (moving some cows 1/2 mile down the road) into a 2 hour job:

I told my girls I'd load the horses and haul them 20 miles so they could ride with their grandpa and move a few cows to a stubble field. I could have moved the cows in 10 minutes with a chop pail, but thought the girls would like the chance to move cows on horseback.

We unloaded the horses at the East end of the field, and they mounted up and went to gather the cows. I drove to the West end and called the cows, who all came running. Then the cows and I waited 15 minutes for the kids and grandpa to ride up!

It seems nowdays, we always move our cows with semi's - no more three day events to walk cows 50 miles to bush pastures. So here was a chance for the kids to do a little riding without freezing off their **ses.

Here are the riders, after the cows reached the stubble fields. Laura finds it much warmer to ride bareback, although she complained her touque kept falling off when Tiny was trotting!

P1020058.jpg

And that's the way it starts...

Very inspiring pictures, Heifer. Look at those big grins. Thanks for sharing!! Makes memories come back and a few tears, too!

Those days will never come again. Enjoy every minute while you can. Kids grow up TOO FAST!

Thanks, FH!

I remember my dad doing a few extra things that made life much more memorable for my sister & I. We would ride out each am and pm for three weeks, to heat detect commercial cows so he could A.I. them (this was in the early 70's), and he'd saddle up his gelding, my mare, and my sister's pony for us, twice a day, just for the experience of it. My sis & I were too small to lift a saddle up high enough to do the job ourselves. We could have driven out there in the truck, but nope, we saddled up and rode out. Good lessons in biology, too, wheh checking for heats! :oops:

Now that our girls are growing up enough to start riding, we try to go out each afternoon when they're home from school (if they don't have skating or something else on the go). I figure they enjoy spending time with me now, so I'd better take advantage of that.... it just might change! :(

Next thing the girls keep asking about is showing cattle. I keep putting this off, though, until they're old enough for 4-H. I still remember all the work getting hair coats trained, calves halter broke, etc. etc. No need to rush too much! We'll just enjoy the horses for now!

Yeap what's 2 hours.....when yer rewarded with smiles like those? Not only did you make a memory...ya made a couple more memories that those lil girls will carry with them for a lifetime....

Imagine if you'd had the old curmugeon along it would of taken three hourslol-them girls aren't getting any less cuter now are they lol.

Hey Rancher - the "old curmugeon" won't step near the horses. (Well, on the odd morning he does chores, he gets to walk past them!)

He's pretty annoyed that the horses are chewing up "his" grass with their two sets of teeth! The girls keep telling him he needs a horse so we can ride as a family... he just says he'll put on his runners and jog beside us, rather than use the treadmill! :roll: He hasn't joined us yet, but we'll keep pushing! And the first place we'll go is up the steep hill east of our house! (Aren't we sweet!) :)

The "curmugeon" says that was hurtful! :cry: (By the way, it's the 'Governor,' not the General, but I get the picture, loud 'n clear.) It would make quite the sight. I could just see one of them hangin' off your old roan stud, too! Not that I could ride anything that crow-hopped, mind you!

They were supposed to play hockey tonight, but the football game got in the way. The governor sold his calves today in Lloyd, at an Angus Presort, and so did a few other neighbours. Prices were fairly strong - they had 3100 head, and the groups looked good.

You know I knew it started with a 'G' lol. I bet either one of those guys could hoe it out of a horse if they decided too-one thing 'guvvy' would have the 'john deere' of bronc saddles lol. Your neighbor is playing some great hockey for us up here -you'll have to come up for a game.

You bet he'd have a "John Deere" of a saddle! What would that be, by the way? My saddle was made in Edmonton by Three Bars Saddlery. Perhaps that's a "Belarus" of a saddle, I'm not sure???

Dad broke down & bought a used John Deere Combine this fall, when his Massey caught fire. First piece of green equipment on my side of the family. The Curmugeon grew up with it, though.

Which neighbour is playing hockey up there? In which age group? Are you the coach?

Logan Wirt is playing on the Double A Bantam team I coach-he's playing some big minutes for us. I have three original 'Eamor's' they are pretty nice saddles all are 25-30 years old.

Latest posts