• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

#101 Friends and Fancies

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bob M

Reaction score
#101 FRIENDS AND FANCIES

Many of you, who have computers, have probably tuned in on Ranchers Net which branches off into Bull Session, Ranch Talk, Coffee Shop, Horses and Dogs, Political Bull and Everything Else. Everyone, including people as far away as Australia, who use it, do so under assumed handles. NR and her husband live in Delaware. She is one of the few 'non ranchers' on the network. I think that is what her handle stems from. NR and her husband decided on a western vacation this year and organized a get-together for Rancher's Net participants to be held on September 1st at Deadwood. Steve, Carol, Marty Blocker and I went from here, labeled on Rancher's Net as Soapweed, Mrs. Soapweed, Saddle Tramp and BobM in that order. Clarence Nollett goes by Clarence on the network. He and his brother, Martin, also went from Cherry County. Calvin Geerson "Cal" is probably the best known on Rancher's Net from Bennett County but wasn't able to attend.
We all met at a nice restaurant, "The Deadwood Gulch", for the noon meal, compliments of Macon Gravlee who owns the Rancher's Net Web Page. He and his wife were here from Mississippi. Steve and I visited with Mr. Gravlee. He isn't much more than middle age but has quite a success story. He started out with a grocery store and expanded to 33 self owned stores with 1400 employees. I asked if he was compensated for owning the Rancher's Web Page. He had a twinkle in his eye and said "Yes, about $2.00 an hour".
"Big Muddy Rancher" and his wife, "Miss Tam", were there from Saskatchewan, Canada. They know some of our relatives in Rockglen. It's a small world! "Tumbleweed" was there from White Owl, SD, Jinglebob" from Red Owl, SD, "Turkey Track Bar" from northern SD , "SW" and his wife, "Hanta Yo", from Montana, "John SD" from White Owl, "Kate" from Wyoming, "Carole 3218" from Greeley, CO and "Feeder" from Iowa were there in addition to those mentioned before. I called Bruce and Bonny Weber who live near Deadwood. They joined us and were welcomed by the rest.
We were asked to bring something for the rest to see from home. Clarence, from Nenzel, took a book of photographs and descriptions of native plants. I took the two books that I have written and a picture album. Others brought videos taken on their ranches and crafts. "Saddle Tramp" and "Jingle Bob" did some of their cowboy poetry. "Soapweed" played some numbers on the piano. Judging by the conversation and laughter everyone got acquainted in a short time and had an unforget-able experience. We hope it will become an annual event.
Steve, Carol and I came back through Nemo and visited Norma Troxell Adams and her husband, Elton. The Troxells were close neighbors when we lived on the farm, east of Martin, until 1931. Dad sold Norma's dad, Frank Troxell, the famous saddle horse stallion, "Gold Dollar". Norma and Louie Becker trained a couple of horses out of him and performed at local rodeos, at Rapid City, Belle Fourche, Sturgis and for "Deadwood Days" at Deadwood. They were known as "The Troxell All-American Trick Team". A Hollywood producer made an offer they couldn't refuse and took the trained trick horses to Hollywood.
On the way home, through Rapid City, we stopped at Wal Mart. I bought 22 picture frames and already have put labeled pictures in them to go in the "Picture Room" of the bank. I have 43 more frames ordered. It will be a great place to display interesting photographs from the area, past or present. We will have them enlarged to 8 and one half by 11 to fit the frames. Please let me know if you have pictures or paintings for display.
I just had a call from our friend, Mae Elley, that a mountain lion has taken up residence under the porch of her summer home near Custer. She moved back to Rapid City!
Our thoughts and prayers go to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. We appreciate the area where we live more than ever!

BobM

BobM,

Thank you for putting the whole experience in writing. Your picture wall at the bank sounds like quite an undertaking but something interesting for folks to look at while waiting.

nr from Delaware
PS. NR (in capital letters) is actually "Northern Rancher" in Canada. I think I'll have to go back to my former handle nrbe (non-rancher beefeater) to avoid NR from being blamed for some of my dumb comments :? :D

PLEAAAAASSSSE tell me that next year's get-together will be just as much fun....if not more!!! Not even a paycut will keep me from meeting all of you....am already saving up.....one nickle at a time :wink: :wink:

nr said:
BobM,

Thank you for putting the whole experience in writing. Your picture wall at the bank sounds like quite an undertaking but something interesting for folks to look at while waiting.

nr from Delaware
PS. NR (in capital letters) is actually "Northern Rancher" in Canada. I think I'll have to go back to my former handle nrbe (non-rancher beefeater) to avoid NR from being blamed for some of my dumb comments :? :D

The "nrbe" handle sounds like a good idea to avoid confusion.....and mthose of us who have met you fondly refer to you as "nerbee" in our minds rather than thinking "n r b e" ? You, after all, did have to gear yourself up to be a bit "nervy" to put together that great gathering in Deadwood! So "nerbee" is close! I got up too early this morning (three am to get cowboys on the road to vaccinate some of our cows living about 35 miles from home this summer) and am rambling, so please forgive my attempt at humor here, nrbe.

MRJ

nr said:
BobM,

nr from Delaware

Perhaps a new name could be "bareback rider" or "wild horse Annie"? Maybe "dino hunter"? I know! I dub thee, "real nice lady"! :wink:

Jinglebob said:
Perhaps a new name could be "bareback rider" or "wild horse Annie"? Maybe "dino hunter"? :wink:

Though I'd love to be called something really western like "wild Horse Annie" or Bareback Rider (bareback dumper more accurately Jinglebob can attest!), I'd better stick with dumb ol "nrbe" as my handle. Life is getting too confusing to keep changing. After this wonderful trip west though it calls for a new atavar.... the Watutzi or whatever I chose has to go!

Boy did we ever get some pictures! will post if can keep computer out of you know whose grubby hands!

nr said:
Jinglebob said:
Perhaps a new name could be "bareback rider" or "wild horse Annie"? Maybe "dino hunter"? :wink:

Though I'd love to be called something really western like "wild Horse Annie" or Bareback Rider (bareback dumper more accurately Jinglebob can attest!), I'd better stick with dumb ol "nrbe" as my handle. Life is getting too confusing to keep changing. After this wonderful trip west though it calls for a new atavar.... the Watutzi or whatever I chose has to go!

Boy did we ever get some pictures! will post if can keep computer out of you know whose grubby hands!

Grubby hands. :shock: What is Craig trying to make the western experience last by not washing his hands. I thought that was just girls that got to touch Elvis. :cowboy:

nr said:
nr from Delaware

Since your real name is Anne, instead of "nr" you could be "Anne R" which would almost "sound" the same. :wink:

Latest posts