• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

1100 lbs cows vs 1400 lbs cow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
I wrote this little article and it really ruffled some feathers on the Advantage Cattle board where I posted it. I wrote it with the idea that their isn't only one way and one size of cattle that fits everything/everyone. If you read it with an open mind, and not trying to read into things, maybe it will get one thinking outside the box. The % weaned may vary from ranch to ranch, just as the prices may. But it gives you something to ponder on.

1100 lbs cows vs 1400 lbs cows

There seems to be a huge push in the industry right now to make your cows small. We are told they are more efficient and you will make more money off a small cow because you can supposedly run 20% more cows on the same feed. We are also told a lighter weight calf will bring more per pound. Well that sounds real good. But let's dig into it a little deeper and make it an apple to apples comparison.

Let's start with the first argument. The industry tells us that you should be able to run 20% more cows on the same amount of feed when comparing an 1100 lbs cow to a 1400 lbs cow. So let's compare a ranch that can run 600 head of 1100 lbs cows compared to 500 head of 1400 lbs cows on the same feed resources.
After a 5% death loss, you should have 285 steers off of the 1100 lbs cow herd. If the calves weigh 44% of the cows weight, the average weaning weight will be 484 lbs with an average price of $190/cwt or $921/calf (by using the average price on Superior's Steam Boat Springs Sale). If you replace 15% of the cows a year, that comes to 90 cull cows that weigh 1100 lbs and sell for $.81 or $891 each. To replace those cows you will need to retain 105 heifers annually. Of the heifer calves you sell off the cow (after a 5% death loss) you will have 180 head that average $846 if they sell $10/cwt back from the steers. Of these replacement heifers in which you try to breed, you will cull 15%, or 16 head. If your cows mature out at 1100 lbs, then these heifers will be around 800 lbs. Taking the average Superior price of $135/cwt, they would be worth $1080 each. Now you will need 5 more bulls to breed these cows and heifers since you have more cattle (15 heifers and 100 cows), and I used our last year bull sale average of $4850 a bull. So after you add up all the income and expenses, the gross off of your 600 cows is $487,875

Now, let's figure the 500 head ranch full of 1400 lbs cows. After a 5% death loss you would have 237 steers that weaned off at 43% of the dams body weight, for an average weaning weight of 602 lbs with an average price of $172/cwt or $1035 per steer calf (by using the average price on Superior's Steam Boat Springs Sale). If you cull 15% of the cows, you will have 75 head of 1400 lbs cows to sell at the same price as the 1100 lbs cow of .81/cwt for a total of $1134/cow. You would need to retain 90 head of replacement heifers to replace the 15% of cull cows. So you would then sell 148 heifers to sell off the cow (after a 5% death loss) at $954 each, priced at $10/cwt back from the steer mates. If you have the same amount open as the other group, which is 15%, you would have 14 head to sell that will weigh 1000 lbs, and by using the average price for that weight on Superior, they would be worth $128/cwt or $1280 each. After adding everything up, the gross sales are $492,092.

So as you can see, it is actually the opposite of what they tell us. By these figures, the difference is over$4000 more made off the 1400 lbs cow. What isn't figured in yet is the extra calving facilities, labor you have at calving, pasture care, etc, plus the extra vet expenses you have to run the extra cows, or in this case, 100 head of cows and their calves and 19 replacement heifers. After you add that all up, it could cost you from $10,000 to $15,000 or more annually to have the smaller made cow. Plus, this type of smaller framed calf will not get the premium sale day just because he is lighter. The lighter calves that get the real premium are the second cuts of the medium framed cows, as the smaller framed calves will finish too small and have higher yield grade 4's as they get too fat too early which is a huge discount to the feeder.

We want you to know that we are not promoting or advocating a big cow, as you can get them too big. However, we think you need to run the right type of cow, the kind that your environment allows you to run and that maximizes your profit. We just wanted to point out that there is nothing wrong with a 1400 lbs cow if your environment allows it without pampering them. What we do think is important, is the type of cow you run. We feel it is real important to have an easy keeping, big bodied type cow, one that is sound, fertile, and has the performance in her to raise the type of calf that the feeder will want to feed. So, before you run out and change your program, do your own math and see what works for you. Remember, there is a reason why feedlots from all over the country come to this area to buy their calves, while paying a whole lot more for them here than they do anywhere else throughout the country.

:clap: If smaller were that much more efficient, we'd all be running Lowlines.....................................

We have tried to make the smaller 1100 lb cows work but they just won't. We winter graze and the lighter cattle have problems making it. Sure frame has a huge part in it because its all about density for warmth but the lighter weight cattle just don't hold up. Now if we weren't winter grazing, had a little less winter and fed our cattle I could see using smaller cattle. I'm not saying right or wrong its just what works for us.

I'm from the old school,from my life experience of 60 plus yrs, I've come to the conclusion. Big cows equal big calves, and little cows equal little calves. I prefer the big calves, and if my big cow doesn't have a big calve I sell her and I then have good salvage value. I have no scientific studies just an old guys opinion.

Seen more than a few guys breed for those teeny 60 lb. birthweights in order to replace their cows with smaller ones. They wound up with a herd of pelvic sizes that a goat couldn't pass through...............................

After about 4 years of birthing nightmares, they were firm believers in moderation.

Moderation is key. Moderation in all things.

I question the 1100 lb cow. If that is the weight you are seeing when you sell an open cow, you could safely add 100 lbs. We have weighed cows at home before heading to the sale ring and they always weigh 100 lbs more at home. Except for 2/3-year olds, I don't know of any 1100 lb cows in this area. They are rare, if they even exist. Cows have just gotten bigger over time. We all want performance, and for cattle to perform, they have to eat.
Performance means weight. The biggest eaters are the best performers. Or so it seems to me.

1100 lb. cows would mean 750-800lb bred heifers. How many people want to buy them. It seems around here if they aren't 1000lbs. they are a little tough to sell. About the only way we see 1100lb. cows is when they come through the salebarn half starved. A good cowmen told me a few years ago that the genetics are in everyone's cowherd to be 1300-1400 lb cows, it all depends on management and environment.

Much depends on your environment, using 110-120lbs native and native/British crosses in the Bushveld and Namib ecosystems were the most efficient, using a continental over the poorer cows and selling the terminals at weaning to the feedlots worked out as very efficient, especially with the high degree of heterosis from the Sanga influence. Here in the UK with the temperate climate, the slightly heavier British and British/Continentals provide the best return as winter fed cattle, the lighter traditional native Angus and Hereford have the advantage of overwintering outside, but they are marketed through the farm abattoir and two shops at a premium, as the big buyers don't want smaller carcases.

Around here it pencils down to how many lbs of calves can you produce per acre...I love 800 lb bred heifers. Big cows are great when you go to sell em and the weigh up but other than that I love a smaller cow. I think more cows = more lbs of calves to sell.

4Diamond said:
Around here it pencils down to how many lbs of calves can you produce per acre...I love 800 lb bred heifers. Big cows are great when you go to sell em and the weigh up but other than that I love a smaller cow. I think more cows = more lbs of calves to sell.

Please read what I wrote. More cows do = more lbs of calves to sell. But that is only a fraction of the issue.

"If smaller were that much more efficient, we'd all be running Lowlines....................................." :p
Have to chuckle....although we are a purebred Gelbvieh operation, I have a couple of Lowlines. I truly do believe you can not get more efficient than Lowlines. For the amount they eat compared to what you can get for meat, they dress at 70%, its it is no contest. However, you would get butchered at the sales ring, due to packers optimising their plants.
This year the Lowline cow must have been bred by a Gelbvieh, but she had the calf no problem and that calf will be taller than her at weaning.
But try and convince a "cowboy" they are more efficient.......you would have better luck getting him started on sheep!

I like ND Farmer's thought process on cow size, pretty hard to beat the extraordinary amount of common sense in his statement!

In my opinion if she can raise a calf half her size no matter what she weighs she is probably a keeper. But in my part of the country if a cow is in that 1100 lb range she was probably "over-roughed" as a yearling and also as a 2 and 3 yr old. You just don't see rolly polly 1100 pound cows here, it just doesn't exist. Modern day genetics have taken care of that.

I find this topic interesting. My uncle was one that just looked at someone's cows and just decided those are to big. So that's kind of how I thought for a while. More cows on the same ground seems better. The one point I have never heard anyone bring up when trying to push small cows is how much more cost in bulls 20% more vaccine and everything else. Anyway a person should be always open minded to try to make most profit as possible. Anyway good info to ponder.

perfecho said:
"If smaller were that much more efficient, we'd all be running Lowlines....................................." :p
Have to chuckle....although we are a purebred Gelbvieh operation, I have a couple of Lowlines. I truly do believe you can not get more efficient than Lowlines. For the amount they eat compared to what you can get for meat, they dress at 70%, its it is no contest. However, you would get butchered at the sales ring, due to packers optimising their plants.
This year the Lowline cow must have been bred by a Gelbvieh, but she had the calf no problem and that calf will be taller than her at weaning.
But try and convince a "cowboy" they are more efficient.......you would have better luck getting him started on sheep!

There must be a valid reason that you only have a couple of lowlines if they are that good. In the end they still have to make money!

MJW...as a retirement project, I was going to use Lowlines for a "local food" supply. However, decided to continue with the Gelbvieh breeding stock, just cut down on numbers, showing and am calving later. I also didn't want to start a new venture while trying to slow down a bit.

Although I do think Lowlines are an efficient animal and would certainly fit the local food niche, you couldn't go through through sales barns. You would also have to have really thick skin! Lowlines are interesting, and I believe they have a place, but they certainly are not for everyone ...........you need better fences..... :lol:

Check out the Lowline sales average for the past few years at the Denver show.....there's a price per pound we could all live with!

I think that perhaps an 1100 pound cow only weaning 44% might skew the figures just a hair. If I've got an 1100-1200 pound cow, I fully expect her to wean 50% of her weight. That's a 550 to 600 pound calf, right in there where they ought to be. I'm aware that just doesn't happen for a lot of folks, but unless my scales have been lying, we've seen it work pretty often. Just thought I'd throw that in and play devils advocate for the "little" cows. :D

I have thought for some time that it is pointless for me to try to size our cow herd down. We run on mostly rented ground and we pay by the head per day so it doesn't really matter whether I run an 1100lb cow or a 1500lb cow. The feed bill is the same.

Even if I was running completely on owned ground I still wouldn't try to size my cows down because I operate in an area where moisture is the most severe limiting factor. There is no way I am going to take the risk of sizing down my cow herd and then pushing more numbers on to my pasture. There is so much variability from year to year that we have to take a long term average for stocking rate. If we tried to maximize carrying capacity every year we would have wild swings in numbers and I would probably have to be buying bred cows every other year. My 1300-1400lb cows work fine for me and I don't think it would be worth the trouble to try to fine tune it to that degree. This spring I sold 95hd to reduce our herd to a size that I thought I would be reasonably sure that I could run through the summer on the grass I have. It wasn't until late June or early July that I was pretty sure that I wouldn't have to be feeding hay to finish out the grazing season. That kind of variability doesn't suit itself to very tight tolerances.

mytfarms said:
I think that perhaps an 1100 pound cow only weaning 44% might skew the figures just a hair. If I've got an 1100-1200 pound cow, I fully expect her to wean 50% of her weight. That's a 550 to 600 pound calf, right in there where they ought to be. I'm aware that just doesn't happen for a lot of folks, but unless my scales have been lying, we've seen it work pretty often. Just thought I'd throw that in and play devils advocate for the "little" cows. :D

Agreed, it seems to work here too :D.

Latest posts