• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

12 volt pumps

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rancher3!

Reaction score
Been looking into a solar water system. I have found a lot of good info on the board. I think it was RSL that had a good page with lots of info. I can't seem to find it again. Has anyone tried a vane pump for pumping water? Don't need much lift. Just from spring fed dugout to trough.

seems like 12 volt submersibles are quite spendy----I got a similar situation to you, am going to try a boat bilge pump---still experimenting, got it as far as back seat of pickup---

Our pumping webpage is here...
http://www.roundrockranching.com/environment/water-pumping/

If you have 12 feet or less lift, just get a bilge pump. They are cheap and available and will pump huge volumes. They also drain back so can be made freeze proof.
If it is over 12' but less than 20' you can actually hook 2 bilge pumps into a Y feeding into 1 line and get an extra few feet of lift.
They run between 50 and 100 and can pump anywhere from 1250 to 2000 gallons per hour.
I bought a new Lorentz on kijiji this fall that I still have to set up. It is 24 Volt and will do over 70' of lift.

I have a good pump in the service truck that I use when working on sewage lift stations but it will not pump over 20' of lift so when I have to go deeper ( some of the lift stations around here are 35' deep and if I have to empty it the first 15' goes fast then things slow down! ) I hang a protein tub in the pit and pump into it and have another pump haul it the rest of the way to the top.

It is much cheaper than a chopper pump with more head rating and most of the time I just use one pump.

I bought one pump with a 35' head for the swimming pool ( about $600.00 ) but I will not use it for anything but clean water. The spring I pump from is crystal clear and does not notice when I pump 200 gal per min - - - really cools the pool off if you forget and let it run ( now you know one of my secrets ) so I put in a timer switch so it shuts off after 15 minutes.

If I got more lift station work I would invest in another pump with a high lift but I seem to get one job every 3 or 4 years so I use what I have available.

The reason for this tale is to tell you if a bilge pump has the capacity but not the lift have it pump as high as it will before losing efficiency, fill a plastic barrel and put in a second pump to reach from there to where you need to go.

Great tips guys. Like the 2 pump idea as I could use the system in more places. Would a 85 watt panel be enough to run 2 pumps? RSL was it you that had the stub axle on the side of your bale fork? tried that idea today and it worked great. Bale truck down and painful unrolling with spears.

Latest posts