• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

$

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nd

Reaction score
What has recently sold pasture went for in your area ($/acre)? One of the pastures I'm renting is selling for $700. Just curious about other areas. I'm in Central North Dakota.

I just bought a quarter for $333/acre that would run 1 pair/2 - 3 acres. I paid about $75/acre more than the current market, because it was attached to my other pasture land with wells and electricity already installed. It was also already seeded down. The gent selling had paid too much, and needed that much out of it to get out of the note, otherwise I would have forced the issue.

Rod

It looks as though the days that grassland in the U S could dollar out are gone !!!

Our ranchland has become a toy for the rich. The only way it won't go that way is if it's 200 miles of bad road from the nearest airport.

The ranch Jinglebob mentioned doesn't sound too bad until you figure it's
$8,000 per cow unit. At 6% interest that's $480 per cow. She's going to have to put in some overtime to cover that.

It's the same in our country. Three acres per cow at $2,500 per ac. equals $7,500 per cow unit. You can rent it for $60 per cow unit :wink:

It is OK to pay too much for land, within reason.

If interest rates are 6% and inflation is 3 or 4%, you will do all right. The interest is tax deductible and the inflation is tax deferred until you sell. Of course, you have to make sure there is enough income to actually make the payments.

Look at it another way. We bought our place for $90 per acre with a 9% interest rate. Takes about 30 acres to run a pair. Calves were about $450 average.

We refinanced our loans and now pay interest at about 4 1/2% and calves last year averaged $720.

The above is especially true if you are adding on to your place and have all the infrastructure in place.

Still, anything more than $5000 a cow unit is tough. Add a section here and there and it will work, just not at the same time.

The cheap stuff is going for $10,000 an acre here. The prime stuff (or at least what "they" think is prime, on some steep mountainside, with no electricity, electric, roads, etc.) is going for about $40,000 an acre.

I tell ya'll, one of these days, I'll be settin on a gold mine (or better) with what my dad has written into his will for me........... :shock: And at the rate the "foreigners" are moving in down there, I'll gladly sell off the old homestead and find a new, lot less populated area to settle in with my fortune. :lol:

normally grass here is in the 600 range. but a guy next to me just sold the crappiest grass and crp land I ever saw for 1500 / acre....wealthy guy wanting to bury money and have a hunting spot.

these are the people who will ruin this way of life.

Some pasture just west of us (river area with lots of accretion ground) just sold for around 2200 an acre. The irrigated corn ground is bringing 2800.

Some pasture just west of us (river area with lots of accretion ground) just sold for around 2200 an acre. The irrigated corn ground is bringing 2800.

Latest posts