• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

1st 2021 calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We had our first one hit the ground. Out of a great old cow I bought as a heifer from one of my mentors who passed away a few years ago. I kept her bull calf from last year a bull and I sure like him too. This heifer calf is about two weeks early but all was well. She is really vigorous and thriving. Tagged her this morning and almost didn't catch her. But I am getting old 😁
D9A95B7F-D6ED-45DB-8262-C8EEF635B69A.jpeg
81B46B09-9441-416F-B935-0195FAF6A58F.jpeg

This is calf number 4. Well actually he is #40 but that is his mothers number. That makes 76 more to go in this little bunch of purchased broken mouth cows. The weather is warming up so if they hold off for another day or two they wont get born on this white stuff.

Attachments

• P2122361.JPG
    P2122361.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 41
Five new ones this week, including #13. The #13 cow got down in the chute in late November. She was down for 16 days. Everyday I figured I would have to shoot her. But she stayed perked up so we packed hay and water to her. She actually moved herself around the pen but didn't get up until day 16. She had a calf this morning. I am calling that a victory.

Lots of white faces around here this year. High percentage Simmy bull gets the credit. All heifer calves to this point. Funny how that happens from time to time. This little blaze faced calf loves to nestle down into the tumble weed drifts along the north fence
58CA64ED-02A3-44DF-B824-B2EEA8E6A857.jpeg
32BF8C87-A7B1-4A04-BECB-696AAB341305.jpeg

Had my first calf yesterday from a new bull purchased back in April of last year.Looks like it took the cows a while before they let him start working.I put him in with the mommas on April 26th.I am anxious to see how the new calves will look out of him.He came out of a registered 44 Farms bull.

Looks like he missed the whole first cycle pretty much.
Had my first calf yesterday from a new bull purchased back in April of last year.Looks like it took the cows a while before they let him start working.I put him in with the mommas on April 26th.I am anxious to see how the new calves will look out of him.He came out of a registered 44 Farms bull

He was a virgin bull 2 years old.What was strange is I saw him breed a cow within 30 seconds of me turning him out and she has yet to calf even though she is huge now.He had just been tested at the vet 10 days before I let him out.He also runs with the herd year round.

He was a virgin bull 2 years old.What was strange is I saw him breed a cow within 30 seconds of me turning him out and she has yet to calf even though she is huge now.He had just been tested at the vet 10 days before I let him out.He also runs with the herd year round.
Interesting. Has to be frustrating. You do give what I call 'breeding shots' to your cows, right? What vaccines do you give? And have you considered a disease of some kind? Trich is one that comes to mind. If he was a virgin bull, that shouldn't be a concern, but you never know.

Latest posts