• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2 Year old Filly

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
b4826c96fd3e8974c29633ad0a1cc96de6b5a06e_r.jpg

good luck

I dont know how she is bred a girl brought her to me last weekend and asked if I would start her and tell her if I thought she would make a barrel horse, so far so good................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
I dont know how she is bred a girl brought her to me last weekend and asked if I would start her and tell her if I thought she would make a barrel horse, so far so good................good luck

I take it you haven't been on her yet. :p :D

Good luck with her, she's a nice looking mare.

gcreekrch said:
HAY MAKER said:

I take it you haven't been on her yet. :p :D

Good luck with her, she's a nice looking mare.

She is a pretty filly, little thin boned for my tastes but she is 2 I got a few days to see how she thinks before I ride her :wink:
good luck

Very pretty if you dont like her ... I got an older grulla I would trade ya for her LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
yeah she is part appy LOL but knows ranch work and LOVES men

MsSage said:
Very pretty if you dont like her ... I got an older grulla I would trade ya for her LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
yeah she is part appy LOL but knows ranch work and LOVES men
If the filly was mine I,d be interested
Good luck

Cause that's how they do it in Texas. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No wimpy snaffle bits for real cowboys. Besides if she is going to barrel race she better learn what a tie down is right away. :roll:

Faster horses said:
OK, haymaker, I'm curious. Why do you have her bitted up like that if she isn't even started? What are you going to do with her for a few days before you ride her?

Not every horse needs to be started with a snaffle, do you know why we start the majority of horses with a broke snaffle ?
I had her in a snaffle a few days, no snaffle needed with this filly.
I want to watch her real close for a couple days, some folks can tell you more about a horse on the ground they most can in a saddle.
Good luck

Faster horses said:
Sure I know why you start horses in a snaffle. Do you??? :D
You go first, then me. Age before beauty you know. :D :D :D

7ef362a060a53ac8963fca776f77a71ec260cc53_r.jpg

Age or beauty has little to do with horse sense if you start out dumb like big dummie.
tell me why you would use a snaffle on this filly and i will tell you why a snaffle aint always the starting point .
You use the bit that gives the best results period, and hopefully you have a plan and understand that results are'nt always obtained by doing the same thing every one else does .
Now tell me why "YOU" would use a snaffle every time you started a horse.
The bit she graduated to is a bit I modified in my shop, absolutely no port and polished very smooth.
good luck

Big Muddy rancher said:
Cause that's how they do it in Texas. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No wimpy snaffle bits for real cowboys. Besides if she is going to barrel race she better learn what a tie down is right away. :roll:

How would you know what we do in Texas, you would,nt know a Texan if one bit you in the ass :D
I think we have a few Ladies down here that can run barrels, seems like I heard something about a Texas girl running some barrels in Calgary a while back ?
good luck

Faster Horses, remember we have had the bit conversation before, I can be brutal to any horse with a snaffle, and I can be very kind to one with a port, It,s not the bit as much as the person using it.
I like a more bit than I need when I ride because I'm usually riding Green horses.
I ride them with a loose rein and if I need a bit I have it, most folks around here have their way and do what works for them everyone trains a young horse different and everyone rides a little different.
I don't claim to be a horse trainer but have started a few, never hurt or abused one yet, might have hurt their pride a little, and to be truthful I look for a reason to show a young horse who is boss after that we can get a lot done.
This filly has a really good mind and is super smart in a month if she is coming along like she has been I will get the girl that owns her to run a barrel pattern if her time is good , then we didn't waste our time and money if its not she will likely go to someone looking for a western pleasure horse.
Good luck

Ps. If you notice she has plenty head room with the tie down, she don't need her head stuck up in the air like a damn ostrich, I usually Lower the tie down on a young horse about an inch a week, I like my roping horses neck level they need to be watching where they are going not looking around an arena like they are gonna buy the damn place.

A snaffle bit is the most common type of bit used while riding horses. It consists of a bit mouthpiece with a ring on either side and acts with direct pressure. A bridle utilizing only a snaffle bit is often called a "snaffle bridle," particularly in the English riding disciplines. A bridle that carries two bits, a curb bit and a snaffle, or "bradoon," is called a double bridle.

A snaffle is not necessarily a bit with a jointed bit mouthpiece, as is often thought. A bit is a snaffle because it creates direct pressure without leverage on the mouth. It is a bit without a shank. Therefore, a single- or double-jointed mouthpiece, though the most common designs for snaffle bits, does not make a bit a snaffle. Even a mullen mouth (a solid, slightly curved bar) or a bar bit is a snaffle.

Big Muddy rancher said:
A snaffle bit is the most common type of bit used while riding horses. It consists of a bit mouthpiece with a ring on either side and acts with direct pressure. A bridle utilizing only a snaffle bit is often called a "snaffle bridle," particularly in the English riding disciplines. A bridle that carries two bits, a curb bit and a snaffle, or "bradoon," is called a double bridle.

A snaffle is not necessarily a bit with a jointed bit mouthpiece, as is often thought. A bit is a snaffle because it creates direct pressure without leverage on the mouth. It is a bit without a shank. Therefore, a single- or double-jointed mouthpiece, though the most common designs for snaffle bits, does not make a bit a snaffle. Even a mullen mouth (a solid, slightly curved bar) or a bar bit is a snaffle.

One mans opinion of what a snaffle is does and likely never been on a green horse in heavy brush.
I use broke large ring snaffle when I have a high strung green horse, they don't feel as trapped, if they are worth my time I graduated them to the bit I feel best suits the the job expected .
I probably have 30 or more bits in my tack room everything from a tractor supply special to some hi end hand mades, but its always the hands that use the bit, but it sure don't hurt to have the right bit in the right hands.
Good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

One mans opinion of what a snaffle is does and likely never been on a green horse in heavy brush.
I use broke large ring snaffle when I have a high strung green horse, they don't feel as trapped, if they are worth my time I graduated them to the bit I feel best suits the the job expected .
I probably have 30 or more bits in my tack room everything from a tractor supply special to some hi end hand mades, but its always the hands that use the bit, but it sure don't hurt to have the right bit in the right hands.
Good luck

"acts with direct pressure."

"without leverage on the mouth."

I don't think you get it. :roll:

Latest posts