• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

20 Month Old Positive in Japan?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
TOKYO (Reuters) April 17, 2006 - Japan is conducting tests on a 20-month-old steer suspected of having mad cow disease, a top government official said on Monday, and the case could have wide repercussions on Tokyo's beef trade policy if confirmed.

When Tokyo last December eased a ban on beef imports from the United States and Canada, imposed after the two countries reported cases of mad cow disease, it stipulated that the meat could only come from cattle aged up to 20 months.

The ceiling was set because mad cow disease, formally called bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), had never been found in Japan in an animal younger than 21 months.

Japan has so far confirmed 24 cases of mad cow disease, a Farm Ministry official said. The regional government of Fukushima prefecture, northern Japan, said over the weekend that it had discovered a 20-month-old castrated Holstein that had tested positive for BSE in initial tests.

An official with the regional government said the carcass had been sent to a government institution for detailed tests, which were expected to be completed this week.

Ishihara said, however, that Tokyo would have to review its domestic policy if BSE is confirmed in the animal.

"Moreover, this would be the kind of thing that will influence the terms of U.S. and Canadian (beef) exports," he told a news conference.

Tokyo again halted U.S. beef imports in January, just a month after it partially lifted the two-year ban, when banned spinal material, thought to pose a higher risk of carrying the disease, was found in a veal shipment from New York.

Mike, didn't someone on here say that BSE cannot be detected at that age, 20 months? I am sure I read that on here!

Tommy said:
Mike, didn't someone on here say that BSE cannot be detected at that age, 20 months? I am sure I read that on here!

Tommy, BSE could be detected at 2 months of age if cattle have ingested the misfolded prions and a test was run on the distal ileum instead of the brain. The inexact science of testing the obex, because of incubation periods, will become extinct. This is strictly my personal beliefs.

During the feeding transmission tests done in the UK, prions were found at very early stages in the gut.

reader (the Second) said:
Remember all the debate over 30 months where I pointed out how arbitrary that cutoff was and that there was NO difference between a 29 month old and 30 month old. It seems that rationality has gone out the window on the thinking about BSE. Obviously since most cattle are infected as young calves, possibly from milk replacer or their mothers in some cases, the prions are present from an early age. It's just a question of when they have increased to an extent that they can be measured and also when there are enough that they present a health hazard. We have evidence from humans of vastly different incubation periods -- 40 years for some cases of kuru and iatrogenic CJD to 6 years for the vCJD blood transfusion transmission for instance. And with vCJD from ~ 6 yrs to 16 yrs incubation periods have been noted. The youngest victims were 12 or 13 years old. We know that some genotypes incubate the disease faster. We also know that in the case of blood in the UK, there is at least one case of someone being infected via blood from an asymptomatic carrier who has not yet or may never exhibit symptoms of the disease.

The more we know, the more we understand that slogans and security blankets like 30 months are more dangerous than we thought. That's why those of us on this forum who follow the science and try to think rationality about TSEs have been saying we're fooling ourselves with the 30 month cutoff as guaranteeing human safety. And worse than that is SRMs since in under 30 month in the US and Canada under 30 month allow BRAIN, EYES, SPINAL CORD which are clearly infectious.

I'm telling you, it is the current govt.'s Social Security fix. If your aging population dies earlier, you don't have to worry about a lot of things.

Tommy said:

Dr. Linda Detwiler, who was in charge of BSE program for the USDA, and retired for some unknown reason, is on record stating that "HUNDREDS" of animals were found with clinical signs of BSE and tested postive in the UK that happened to be well under 30 months.

She was also critical of the USDA for dragging it's feet on the approval of more accurate testing methods. Her early retirement diminished the USDA's credibility substancially. She was/is a straight shooter.

Tommy,

What part of the following words does not register with you....

conducting tests on a 20-month-old steer suspected of having mad cow disease

CONDUCTING?
SUSPECTED?

Go ahead, I'll give you time to look the words up.

~SH~

Some how this paragraph was conveniently missing from the posted article.

Vice Agriculture Minister Mamoru Ishihara said he had heard that the chances of the detailed tests confirming that the animal had BSE were low, adding that he did not like to comment on what was still inconclusive.

Subject: JAPAN AWAITS BSE TEST RESULTS ON 20-MONTH-OLD STEER
Date: April 17, 2006 at 6:38 am PST

Japan awaits BSE test result on 20-month-old steer

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:14am ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan is conducting tests on a 20-month-old steer suspected of having mad cow disease, a top government official said on Monday, and the case could have wide repercussions on Tokyo's beef trade policy if confirmed.

When Tokyo last December eased a ban on beef imports from the United States and Canada, imposed after the two countries reported cases of mad cow disease, it stipulated that the meat could only come from cattle aged up to 20 months.

The ceiling was set because mad cow disease, formally called bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), had never been found in Japan in an animal younger than 21 months.

Japan has so far confirmed 24 cases of mad cow disease, a Farm Ministry official said. The regional government of Fukushima prefecture, northern Japan, said over the weekend that it had discovered a 20-month-old castrated Holstein that had tested positive for BSE in initial tests.

An official with the regional government said the carcass had been sent to a government institution for detailed tests, which were expected to be completed this week.

Vice Agriculture Minister Mamoru Ishihara said he had heard that the chances of the detailed tests confirming that the animal had BSE were low, adding that he did not like to comment on what was still inconclusive.

Ishihara said, however, that Tokyo would have to review its domestic policy if BSE is confirmed in the animal.

"Moreover, this would be the kind of thing that will influence the terms of U.S. and Canadian (beef) exports," he told a news conference.

Tokyo again halted U.S. beef imports in January, just a month after it partially lifted the two-year ban, when banned spinal material, thought to pose a higher risk of carrying the disease, was found in a veal shipment from New York. Continued...

The two countries are currently in talks to set the terms for a resumption of beef trade, although no timetable has been set for its restart.

The United States was one of the top suppliers of beef to Japan before Tokyo imposed the ban in December 2003, exporting about 240,000 tonnes that year, valued at $1.4 billion.

Separately, Canada continues to export beef to Japan, and Ishihara said the confirmation of a fifth case of BSE in Canada over the weekend would not influence Japan's policy.

"There is no problem with food safety as long as Canada follows export conditions," Ishihara said.

Canada, a minor beef exporter to Japan even before the ban was imposed in May 2003, shipped about 62 tonnes of beef between December and February, a farm ministry official said.

Many Japanese consumers are sensitive to issues of food safety, including mad cow disease. A human form of the brain-wasting disease has been blamed for the deaths of more than 160 people worldwide, including one in Japan.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyid=2006-04-17T103225Z_01_T352634_RTRUKOC_0_US-MADCOW-JAPAN-POLICY.xml

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2006-04-17T103225Z_01_T352634_RTRUKOC_0_US-MADCOW-JAPAN-POLICY.xml&pageNumber=1&imageid=∩=&sz=13

YEP, GWs BSE MRR policy (the legal trading of all strains of mad cow i.e. TSE globally) will most definately come back to haunt all of us in the years to come. THIS policy which was forced fed to just about everyone when the USA, Canada, and Mexico started complaining to the OIE about trade after the first few cases of BSE, and then the OIE folded and gave in, this policy should be revoked around the world and a revamped BSE GBR risk assessment brought forth again, even stronger this time to consider all TSE in a given country. but to continue to trade TSE globally with this BSE MRR policy, will continue to spread all strains all around the globe. ...

TSS

Econ101 said:
Remember all the debate over 30 months where I pointed out how arbitrary that cutoff was and that there was NO difference between a 29 month old and 30 month old. It seems that rationality has gone out the window on the thinking about BSE. Obviously since most cattle are infected as young calves, possibly from milk replacer or their mothers in some cases, the prions are present from an early age. It's just a question of when they have increased to an extent that they can be measured and also when there are enough that they present a health hazard. We have evidence from humans of vastly different incubation periods -- 40 years for some cases of kuru and iatrogenic CJD to 6 years for the vCJD blood transfusion transmission for instance. And with vCJD from ~ 6 yrs to 16 yrs incubation periods have been noted. The youngest victims were 12 or 13 years old. We know that some genotypes incubate the disease faster. We also know that in the case of blood in the UK, there is at least one case of someone being infected via blood from an asymptomatic carrier who has not yet or may never exhibit symptoms of the disease.

The more we know, the more we understand that slogans and security blankets like 30 months are more dangerous than we thought. That's why those of us on this forum who follow the science and try to think rationality about TSEs have been saying we're fooling ourselves with the 30 month cutoff as guaranteeing human safety. And worse than that is SRMs since in under 30 month in the US and Canada under 30 month allow BRAIN, EYES, SPINAL CORD which are clearly infectious.

I'm telling you, it is the current govt.'s Social Security fix. If your aging population dies earlier, you don't have to worry about a lot of things.

You said this before and I ignored it. It's truly black humor and to my personal opinion not funny due to my having seen this death. But I appreciate the humorous of it.

It is not humor. I am being totally serious here.

If we have a government that is being this incompetent in their handling of a new disease just because it hasn't hit epidemic proportions here in the United States and there isn't huge public outcry about it, isn't this the outcome?

Could your husband not have been spared due to a little medical common sense? Just because the possible incubation time is very long, and we will not see the results of bad policy until long after the current group of politicians and policy makers are gone, does that mean we should allow such poor decisions on tses?

I will grant you that in the beginning of such a disease there will be some mistakes just because we don't know about the disease. Your husband, I hope, was one of these casualties instead of a cruel calculation of economics. The more we hear about this disease, the more we are evidence that it is the former, instead of the latter.

Do we really want diseases to be handled in this manner? How about wars?

Reader, I am not trying to be humorous. I am trying to bring the possible (and I say possible because bse science is not my thing) results of such policies out in the open for everyone to see. A failed policy on bse could have enormous implications.

Science should not be manipulated by the self interests of politicians. The problem is that politicians are the ones we have making these decisions-----and don't discount the results I pose. It is not meant to be humorous. My wife has that dental implant, as you know, and I take your and flounder's experience seriously.

It seems to me that our food safety is taking a backseat to economic preference of policy makers. The smoke is there.

Econ101 said:
You said this before and I ignored it. It's truly black humor and to my personal opinion not funny due to my having seen this death. But I appreciate the humorous of it.

It is not humor. I am being totally serious here.

If we have a government that is being this incompetent in their handling of a new disease just because it hasn't hit epidemic proportions here in the United States and there isn't huge public outcry about it, isn't this the outcome?

Could your husband not have been spared due to a little medical common sense? Just because the possible incubation time is very long, and we will not see the results of bad policy until long after the current group of politicians and policy makers are gone, does that mean we should allow such poor decisions on tses?

I will grant you that in the beginning of such a disease there will be some mistakes just because we don't know about the disease. Your husband, I hope, was one of these casualties instead of a cruel calculation of economics. The more we hear about this disease, the more we are evidence that it is the former, instead of the latter.

Do we really want diseases to be handled in this manner? How about wars?

Reader, I am not trying to be humorous. I am trying to bring the possible (and I say possible because bse science is not my thing) results of such policies out in the open for everyone to see. A failed policy on bse could have enormous implications.

Science should not be manipulated by the self interests of politicians. The problem is that politicians are the ones we have making these decisions-----and don't discount the results I pose. It is not meant to be humorous. My wife has that dental implant, as you know, and I take your and flounder's experience seriously.

It seems to me that our food safety is taking a backseat to economic preference of policy makers. The smoke is there.

Econ - you are correct. The U.S. knew in the 1970s the risk of CJD via neurosurgery and dura mater grafts but the regulation regarding these procedures did not come into effect until the 1980s and it was weak regulation -- dura mater has been banned for 15 years in the UK and is still used in the US. Your assessment that this is all about probabilities and economies is correct. Not enough human life is lost to make it worth while to rock the boat with the manufacturers, hospitals, and doctors and to invest in the regulatory and oversight apparatus that would be necessary to save these lives. My husband was a casualty of a deliberate US policy. To add insult to injury, they won't even really investigate or acknowledge the significance of his having been infected by neurosurgery in the 1970s. I spoke with a friend in Germany who works for a medical association and she said that in Germany they place human life above economics as opposed to the U.S. or how the U.K. behaved prior to the s**t hitting the fan. Some of us, including researchers, believe that many of the so-called sporadic cases of CJD in the U.S. are like my husband's -- due to implants, grafts, contaminated surgical instruments -- these could all be prevented. It could be hundreds a year who die unnecessarily and each of these could like my husband have been a frequent blood donor and have had neurosurgery himself 7 times while infected, thus potentially infecting others. People ignore the amplification factor in these diseases and hide their heads in the sand and say "oh well, it's only a few hundred a year and they are old anyway."

I am sorry it is the former.

It is hard to encompass knowledge, wisdom, and accountablity in a soundbite unless it directly affects those hearing the soundbite. I meant no disrespect, and actually the opposite. Sometimes truth can not be captured so casually to all ears, no matter what the intention.

We have to have a government that make good decisions based on integrity, and not on politcal self interest. They are not the same although they are often passed off as such.

The implications of the Swiss result for Britain, which has had the
most BSE, are complex. Only cattle aged 30 months or younger are eaten
in Britain, on the assumption, based on feeding trials, that cattle of
that age, even if they were infected as calves, have not yet
accumulated enough prions to be infectious. But the youngest cow to
develop BSE on record in Britain was 20 months old, showing some are
fast incubators. Models predict that 200-300 cattle under 30 months
per year are infected with BSE and enter the food chain currently in
Britain. Of these 3-5 could be fast incubators and carrying detectable
quantities of prion.

If one were to test cattle routinely at abattoirs in Britain, it is
possible that only those 3-5 would be detectable, and thus could be
kept out of the food chain. So routine testing may not be
cost-effective. On the other hand, these predictions are based
entirely on modelling. Some think that at least a study similar to the
Swiss one should be carried out in Britain to actually measure the
extent of infection, especially if there is a subclinical strain that
is not reflected in models based on clinical incidence.

snip...

http://www.sare.org/sanet-mg/archives/html-home/28-html/0359.html

TSS

Big Muddy rancher said:
Mike did you doctor up that first post to leave some out?

Ridiculous BMR. It was written on 3 separate pages in the newspaper where I found it.. I only copied and pasted the first page. You will see some left out on the tail end too.

I take high offense to your insinuations. Do you not think that the article would be read in full by everyone here after just a few hours?

TOKYO (Reuters) April 17, 2006 - Japan is conducting tests on a 20-month-old steer suspected of having mad cow disease, a top government official said on Monday, and the case could have wide repercussions on Tokyo's beef trade policy if confirmed.

Tokyo again halted U.S. beef imports in January, just a month after it partially lifted the two-year ban, when banned spinal material, thought to pose a higher risk of carrying the disease, was found in a veal shipment from New York.

on Apr 17, 2006 6:14am ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan is conducting tests on a 20-month-old steer suspected of having mad cow disease, a top government official said on Monday, and the case could have wide repercussions on Tokyo's beef trade policy if confirmed.

Tokyo again halted U.S. beef imports in January, just a month after it partially lifted the two-year ban, when banned spinal material, thought to pose a higher risk of carrying the disease, was found in a veal shipment from New York. Continued...

The two countries are currently in talks to set the terms for a resumption of beef trade, although no timetable has been set for its restart.

The United States was one of the top suppliers of beef to Japan before Tokyo imposed the ban in December 2003, exporting about 240,000 tonnes that year, valued at $1.4 billion.

Separately, Canada continues to export beef to Japan, and Ishihara said the confirmation of a fifth case of BSE in Canada over the weekend would not influence Japan's policy.

"There is no problem with food safety as long as Canada follows export conditions," Ishihara said.

Canada, a minor beef exporter to Japan even before the ban was imposed in May 2003, shipped about 62 tonnes of beef between December and February, a farm ministry official said.

Many Japanese consumers are sensitive to issues of food safety, including mad cow disease. A human form of the brain-wasting disease has been blamed for the deaths of more than 160 people worldwide, including one in Japan.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyid=2006-04-17T103225Z_01_T352634_RTRUKOC_0_US-MADCOW-JAPAN-POLICY.xml

It looks funny to me MIKEY maybe we should get Tim to give us his opinion.

Seems to me there are a lot on this board who should get a recipe book for crow.

I think we should all pitch in to help make it more palatable for SH as he has reason to eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner for a while.

Japan suspects mad cow disease in 20-month-old steer

A 20-month-old steer in northeastern Japan may have had mad cow disease, and if the case is confirmed it could affect Japan's imports of U.S. and Canadian beef, officials said Monday.

A young Holstein killed for meat last week in Fukushima Prefecture, was found to have tested positive for the brain-wasting disease, according to Toshitaka Higashira of the Agricultural Ministry.

If confirmed, it would be one of the youngest cows to test positive for mad cow -- the common name for bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE -- in the world. The youngest as of 2005 was a 20-month-old cow found with the disease in Britain in 1992, according to Japan's Food Safety Commission.

Vice Agriculture Minister Mamoru Ishihara told reporters that, if confirmed, the case "would be of a nature that would affect import restrictions on beef from the U.S. and Canada."

Japan in December eased a two-year-old ban on U.S. beef to allow imports from cows aged 20 months or younger which did not contain body parts thought at risk of the disease. It reinstated that ban a month later after a shipment of U.S. veal was found to contain prohibited bones.

The U.S., in contrast, requires removal of at-risk parts from animals older than 30 months, although there is a short list of tissues that must be removed from younger animals. U.S. officials argue that younger cows face minuscule risks of BSE.

Japan's ban on U.S. beef has been detrimental to a trading relationship worth millions of dollars to American producers. Japan's market was worth US$1.4 billion annually when its government banned American beef in response to the first U.S. case of mad cow disease in 2003.

Separately, Ishihara said the confirmation of a fifth case of BSE in Canada over the weekend would not influence Japan's import policy.

Mad cow is a degenerative nerve disease in cattle. Eating contaminated meat products has been linked to the rare but fatal variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

Japan has confirmed 24 cases of mad cow since 2001, including 3 cases this year, according to the Agricultural Ministry. There have been three confirmed cases of the disease in the U.S. Tests for the disease are more stringent in Japan than in the U.S. (AP)

U.S. Congress losing patience with Japan on beef: Johanns

April 17, 2006

Big Muddy rancher said:
I heard from CCAthat Japan won't let outside labs confirm those 24, 21 and 20 month cases they announced. Wonder why.

Amazing what we can hear. The Japs have there own OIE Lab. Something that North America does not.

http://www.fsc.go.jp/sonota/measure_bse_injapan.pdf

Laboratory and Epidemiology Communications

Atypical Proteinase K-Resistant Prion Protein (PrPres) Observed in an Apparently Healthy 23-Month-Old Holstein Steer

Yoshio Yamakawa*, Kenユichi Hagiwara, Kyoko Nohtomi, Yuko Nakamura, Masahiro Nishizima ,Yoshimi Higuchi1, Yuko Sato1, Tetsutaro Sata1 and the Expert Committee for BSE Diagnosis, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan2

Department of Biochemistry & Cell Biology and 1Department of Pathology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo 162-8640 and 2Miistry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Tokyo 100-8916

Communicated by Tetsutaro Sata

(Accepted December 2, 2003)

*Corresponding author: Mailing address: Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Toyama 1-23-1, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-8640, Japan. Tel: +81-3-5285-1111, Fax: +81-3-5285-1157, E-mail: [email protected]

Since October 18, 2001, 'bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) examination for all cattle slaughtered at abattoirs in the country' has been mandated in Japan by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW). 'Plateria' ELISA-kit (Bio-Rad Laboratories, Hercules, Calif., USA) is routinely used at abattoirs for detecting proteinase K (PK)-resistant prion protein (PrPSc) in the obex region. Samples positive according to the ELISA screening are further subjected to Western blot (WB) and histologic and immunohistochemical examination (IHC) at the National Institute of Infectious Diseases (NIID) or Obihiro University. If PrPSc is detected either by WB or by IHC, the cattle are diagnosed as BSE. The diagnosis is approved by the Expert Committee for BSE Diagnosis, MHLW. From October 18, 2001 to September 30, 2003, approximately 2.5 million cattle were screened at abattoirs. A hundred and ten specimens positive according to ELISA were subjected to WB/IHC. Seven showed positive by both WB and IHC, all exhibiting the typical electrophoretic profile of a high content of the di-glycosylated molecular form of PrPSc (1-3) and the distinctive granular deposition of PrPSc in neuronal cells and neuropil of the dorsal nucleus of vagus.

An ELISA-positive specimen from a 23 month-old Holstein steer slaughtered on September 29, 2003, in Ibaraki Prefecture (Ibaraki case) was sent to the NIID for confirmation. The animal was reportedly healthy before slaughter. The OD titer in ELISA was slightly higher than the 'cut-off' level given by the manufacturer. The histology showed no spongiform changes and IHC revealed no signal of PrPSc accumulation typical for BSE. However, WB analysis of the homogenate that was prepared from the obex region and used for ELISA revealed a small amount of PrPSc with an electrophoretic profile different from that of typical BSE-associated PrPSc (1-3). The characteristics were (i) low content of the di-glycosylated molecular form of PrPSc, (ii) a faster migration of the non-glycosylated form of PrPSc on SDS-PAGE, and (iii) less resistance against PK digestion as compared with an authentic PrPSc specimen derived from an 83-month-old Holstein (Wakayama case) (Fig. 1). Table 1 summarizes the relative amounts of three distinctive glycoforms (di-, mono, non-glycosylated) of PrPSc calculated by densitometric analysis of the blot shown in Fig. 1. As 2.5 mg wet weight obex-equivalent homogenate of the Ibaraki case (Fig. 1, lane 4) gave slightly stronger band intensities of PrPSc than an 8 mg wet weight obex-equivqlent homogenate of a typical BSE-affected Wakayama case (Fig. 1, lane 2), the amount of PrPSc accumulated in the Ibaraki case was calculated to be 1/500 - 1/1000 of the Wakayama case. In the Ibaraki case, the PrPSc bands were not detectable in the homogenates of the proximal surrounding region of the obex. These findings were consistent with the low OD value in ELISA, i.e., 0.2 - 0.3 for the Ibaraki case versus over 3.0 for the Wakayama case. The DNA sequence of the PrP coding region of the Ibaraki case was the same as that appearing in the database (GenBank accession number: AJ298878). More recently, we encountered another case that resembled the Ibaraki case. It was a 21-month-old Holstein steer from Hiroshima Prefecture. WB showed typical BSE-specific PrPSc deposition though IHC did not detect positive signals of PrPSc (data not shown).

Though the clinical onset of BSE is usually at around 5 years of age or later, a 20-month-old case showing the clinical signs has been reported (4). Variant forms of BSE similar to our cases, i.e., with atypical histopathological and/or biochemical phenotype, have been recently reported in Italy (5) and in France (6). Such variant BSE was not associated with mutations in the prion protein (PrP) coding region as in our case (5,6).

The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of Japan (MAFF) announced a ban of feeding ruminants with meat bone meal (MBM) on September 18, 2001, and a complete ban was made on October 15 of the same year. According to the recent MAFF report, the previous seven cases of BSE in Japan were cattle born in 1995 - 1996 and possibly fed with cross-contaminated feed. However, the two cattle in this report were born after the complete ban. Whether contaminated MBM was implicated in the present cases remains to be investigated.

REFERENCES

1. Collinge, J., Sidle, K. C. L., Meads, J., Ironside, J. and Hill, A. F. (1996): Molecular analysis of prion strain variation and the aetiology of 'new variant' CJD. Nature, 383, 685-690.
2. Bruce, M. E., Will, R. G., Ironside, J. W., McConnell, I., Drummond, D., Suttie, A., McCardle, L., Chree, A., Hope, J., Birkett, C., Cousens, S., Fraser, H. and Bostock, C. J. (1997): Transmissions to mice indicate that 'new variant' CJD is caused by the BSE agent. Nature, 389, 498-501.
3. Hill, A. F., Desbruslais, M., Joiner, S., Sidle, K. C. L., Gowland, I. and Collinge, J. (1997): The same prion strain causes vCJD and BSE. Nature, 389, 448-450.
4. Matravers, W., Bridgeman, J. and Smith, M.-F. (ed.)(2000): The BSE Inquiry. p. 37. vol. 16. The Stationery Office Ltd., Norwich, UK.
5. Casalone, C., Zanusso, G., Acutis, P. L., Crescio, M. I., Corona, C., Ferrari, S., Capobianco, R., Tagliavini, F., Monaco, S. and Caramelli, M. (2003): Identification of a novel molecular and neuropathological BSE phenotype in Italy. International Conference on Prion Disease: from basic research to intervention concepts. Gasreig, Munhen, October 8-10.
6. Bicaba, A. G., Laplanche, J. L., Ryder, S. and Baron, T. (2003): A molecular variant of bovine spongiform encephalopatie. International Conference on Prion Disease: from basic research to intervention concepts. Gasreig, Munhen, October 8-10.
7. Asante, E. A., Linehan, J. M., Desbruslais, M., Joiner, S., Gowland, I., Wood, A. L., Welch, J., Hill, A. F., Lloyd, S. E., Wadsworth, J. D. F. and Collinge, J. (2002). BSE prions propagate as either variant CJD-like or sporadic CJD-like prion strains in transgenic mice expressing human prion protein. EMBO J., 21, 6358-6366.

Latest posts