• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

$20 Wheat!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Katrina remember when you doubted me on my $10 wheat prediction :???: :wink: :p

Last week some mills were paying $20 bushel for wheat to keep from shutting down...Locally today they are paying $18.30 for Hard Spring Wheat...
Thats the good news-- the bad news is that my bins are bare :roll: :( - Which is apparently the problem with most folks, in order to get the prices this high....

Red Robin said:
I've heard some of those traders are knocking on farm doors. :lol: It'd be bad to be short wouldn't it.

Yep-- I'd hate to be one of those guys that contracted for $5- hailed or droughted out- and would be needing to buy wheat at $15-20 to fill the contract :shock:

Will take our last load of spring wheat this week sometime and have eight loads to take to fremont, then we are done......... naddaaaaaa, zip........
What's left we will plant.................Had a guy tell me that next years wheat will be more than 5 bucks...... I didn't ask how much more.........

katrina said:
Will take our last load of spring wheat this week sometime and have eight loads to take to fremont, then we are done......... naddaaaaaa, zip........
What's left we will plant.................Had a guy tell me that next years wheat will be more than 5 bucks...... I didn't ask how much more.........

They are contracting now for next years at over $10...The world economists say it will be over $15....

what is the yeild on spring wheat? we plant winter wheat here, and I have never seen anyone do the spring wheat.... when is it planted? will it harvest at the same time as winter wheat? fertilizer requirements?

jigs said:
what is the yeild on spring wheat? we plant winter wheat here, and I have never seen anyone do the spring wheat.... when is it planted? will it harvest at the same time as winter wheat? fertilizer requirements?

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/cropsystems/DC2547.html

jigs said:

The county average yield here is about 25- altho some years we get 40+...We seed as soon as the ground warms up (April-May)- usually cut Aug/Sept- hopefully done by Labor day as after that as far north as we are we can get frosts...
Winter wheat is usually cut about a month earlier....
Spring wheat requires lots of nitrogen- but right now that isn't cheap either-- and too much can be tough if you have a dry year....
If I remember right- the optimum coverage rate is about 2.5-3 lbs nitrogen to every bushel per acre expected..

I talked to a guy on the phone today who said he was hauling wheat. I mentioned that the price made that an OK job. His reply was it is hard to make conversation at the elevator because so many guys sold for $5-7 but delivering now.

He is going to contract what insurance will cover for this years crop.

Wheat hit $20.75 in state today :shock: :roll:

I talked to a fellow the other day, who's father in law is a neighbor and is in the Billings hospital and in need of serious life threatening surgery- which is the bad news....But the good news is he sold a bin of wheat to cover his costs- that he had stored in 1979 :roll: ..Couldn't have hit the market any better- but I'm afraid inflation will eat up most of these prices soon...

Denny said:
cutterone said:
oats have went from $11 /100 to $25/100 in the last 6 months

Where??????

I paid $16.50 cwt last month..... :shock: Neighbor told me he was short of wheat seed- and finally located some today--$22 bushel...Local dealers are telling folks that if you haven't already got your order in for corn seed-- you ain't getting any.....

Maybe I'm the only one who does not know but why is spring wheat over $20 and winter wheat around half that? What is causing the great demand for spring wheat?

Red Barn Angus said:
Maybe I'm the only one who does not know but why is spring wheat over $20 and winter wheat around half that? What is causing the great demand for spring wheat?

Because spring wheat has better milling quality and more protein. I've got 1300 dryland acres of WW planted but it doesn't rain more that it has in the past 8 years it might as well be worth $100 a bushel. I'm on the southern edge of SW country, if WW doesn't make 40 bu/a then SW won't make 10 on a given year. Lately SW won't get tall enough to hay. I haven't cut SW for 10 years but the last time I customed some it was some hard thrashing shite. I'm gonna plant 200 acres of SW this year however on some irrigated, hopefully get it off by the first of August and plant it to hay millet and some to sudan for haying or grazing. Prices are great, just hoping for mother nature to come through for once.

By weight corn is now cheaper than oats. Minneapolis price yesterday was$4.00 a bushel. At 32 lbs to the bushel , thats 12.50 per hunderdwieght. Corn was $5.25 per bushel. At 56 lbs to the bushel thats$9.38 per Hunderdweight. Barley was $.96 per bushel. At 48 lbs to the bushel thats $ 10.34 per hundredweight. Last night at the sale barn Holstein bull calves were selling for $40.00. Milk replacer is $1.10 per pound. Costs more to feed the calf for the first 30 days than the calf costs. :lol: :lol: Maybe we can get Bush to give us all $10,000.00 each in the new farm bill.

You cant sell Holstein bull calves up here and from what I hear they are even hard to give away. Neighbor up th eroad gives all theirs away now.

You cant sell Holstein bull calves up here and from what I hear they are even hard to give away. Neighbor up th eroad gives all theirs away now.

My son has worked very hard over the last few years to become the top seed dealer in the area - - - he has built the business up with fair dealing and great service as well as representing one of the best companies in the area.

Now for the bad news - -- he is completely sold out of corn, soybeans and wheat. He has a standing order at the headquarters that if any seed cmes available he wants to be called. With many farmers wanting to pay before the end of last year most of the seed in his wearhouse is already paid for - - - He sold 20% more corn and 50% more beans than ever and is constantly getting calls for more. The people in this area are planting every square inch they can. Many are planting pastures that should not go to row crops but then we have seen this is the past.

Latest posts