• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

$20 Wheat!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

This is shaping up to be the 80's all over again. Thanks to the FTA's that this a whole president has signed we are now more than ever dependent on a world crop with $4.00 diesel. The **** will hit the fan sooner than later.

Had my fertilizer supplier tell me today , what cost me 130 dollars per acre last fall will cost me 250 dollars this fall. Do you spose there is some profit taking going on? Now let me tell you about this $5.00 corn which I am selling rather than feeding to 92 cent fats. After doing income tax the last two weeks I got to looking at some old books. In 1975 I sold some corn for 2.75 per bushel. I also bought a jd 4430 for $15,000 ,same type tractor today wiil probably cost $70,000 . Bought deisel for 25 cents, now 2.50 to 3.00 ,seed corn for $42 per bag, now $200, granted then 80 bu per acre was good now 175 is ok, but we have had four years of the best yeilds ever.Bottom line is even with the great yeilds and higher than ever prices I think I could buy more inputs with an acre of production then than I can now.

Whitetop said:
Had my fertilizer supplier tell me today , what cost me 130 dollars per acre last fall will cost me 250 dollars this fall. Do you spose there is some profit taking going on? Now let me tell you about this $5.00 corn which I am selling rather than feeding to 92 cent fats. After doing income tax the last two weeks I got to looking at some old books. In 1975 I sold some corn for 2.75 per bushel. I also bought a jd 4430 for $15,000 ,same type tractor today wiil probably cost $70,000 . Bought deisel for 25 cents, now 2.50 to 3.00 ,seed corn for $42 per bag, now $200, granted then 80 bu per acre was good now 175 is ok, but we have had four years of the best yeilds ever.Bottom line is even with the great yeilds and higher than ever prices I think I could buy more inputs with an acre of production then than I can now.
\

I don't know what you corn guys buy for seed I pre ordered RR Varieties with early pay it cost $109 a bag from fielders choice and $102 from heartland hybreds.I could have bought some from Pioneer for $118 a month ago.

Dekalb triple stack, $238 per bag list, 19% discount comes to about $193 cash. I can buy cheap corn too but I plant a test plot nearly every year and weigh it with a weigh wagon. The cheap seed yeilds far less. Last year Pioneer gave me a couple bags of two of their best numbers and they weighed it at harvest,180 and 186 for the pioneer 197 and 198 for the dekalb. Fourteen bushel average difference times $5 is $70 per acre At 2.5 acres per bag that's $175 that cheap bag of seed cost me. I don't like to pay for high priced seed but the cheap stuff costs more in the long run.

Whitetop said:
Dekalb triple stack, $238 per bag list, 19% discount comes to about $193 cash. I can buy cheap corn too but I plant a test plot nearly every year and weigh it with a weigh wagon. The cheap seed yeilds far less. Last year Pioneer gave me a couple bags of two of their best numbers and they weighed it at harvest,180 and 186 for the pioneer 197 and 198 for the dekalb. Fourteen bushel average difference times $5 is $70 per acre At 2.5 acres per bag that's $175 that cheap bag of seed cost me. I don't like to pay for high priced seed but the cheap stuff costs more in the long run.

We buy the same thing Denny.......... And like it..... We have done the high price stuff and on dry land a bushel of corn is a bushel of corn.. And drought don't give shite what brand it is.... :wink:

Don't plant corn anymore.Used to use Viking from Albert Lea seed house in Minnesota. Looked up yesterday what oats seed will cost me. Noticed they were sold out on all rr corn for grain
, all they had left was lower priced silage corn.
Denny what maturity are you using that far north. I used to use 85 day for silage and 95 for grain.

I didn't intend for my first statement to be taken as a sales pitch for high or low cost seed , sorry if it sounded that way. I was just trying to use numbers that I know to make the point that even with the high prices for grain now, after everyone raises their prices to me for inputs. I could pay more bills with less acres in 1975 than I can in 2008

Whitetop said:
I didn't intend for my first statement to be taken as a sales pitch for high or low cost seed , sorry if it sounded that way. I was just trying to use numbers that I know to make the point that even with the high prices for grain now, after everyone raises their prices to me for inputs. I could pay more bills with less acres in 1975 than I can in 2008

Okay....... none taken.............. Ditto on the acres............

katrina said:
Whitetop said:

We buy the same thing Denny.......... And like it..... We have done the high price stuff and on dry land a bushel of corn is a bushel of corn.. And drought don't give shite what brand it is.... :wink:

Katrina do you use anything different for silage corn? I remember seeing pictures of you guys chopping. While I am asking what does anyone think of TJ Micromix quick roots? I have heard there advertising and was curious if anyone used it.

have a cold one

lazy ace

katrina said:
Whitetop said:

You buy Dekalb or the cheaper priced as I do????

I have a neighbor who by rights is a very good farmer he always buys the Dekalb and I bought so no-name RR a few years ago his went 85 bushel per acre that year mine went 125 and I know he spread alot more fertilizer.Mine was planted a couple weeks later and it rained when I needed it to he was'nt as lucky.These fields were 3/4 a mile apart..

I can't bring the subject line down for a reply like you guys do, computer dumb and no young kids in this house for over 10 years so I have to wing it in a new box every time, but to answer your question Denny. Yes I plant mostly Dekalb the last several years. Was all Pioneer for 15 years or more till about4 years ago and all of a sudden their corn all started tipping over in the middle of summer. I do a test plot most years and every year some dealer wants to give me a few bags of their hot numbers. I put it in the plot and have them weigh it against what I'm using. If it does good they will probably sell me some. Thats how I got started with Dekalb.Bottom line is I'm going to plant what I think will make the most money and nearly all the time that's the ones that will give me the most bushels.

Latest posts