• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2003 Chevy Shortbox

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I'm looking at an '03 Chevy shortbox with a V6 and a 5 speed to replace my truck with. Does anyone know alot about them? I have a friend with one and he loves it, though its not alot for power.

That's just the truck my son was looking to buy for his girlfriend. :eek:

If you pass send me the info as it might work for them Her car is having head gasket problems and she needs something to drive to work. Is it 4X4?

Standard transmissions get old after a while.Shortbox will ride choppy,i had one for a while and i know i would never buy another one.

3words said:
Standard transmissions get old after a while.Shortbox will ride choppy,i had one for a while and i know i would never buy another one.

Hard to get a sheet of plywood to lay flat on a shorbed

3words said:

Hard to get a sheet of plywood to lay flat on a shorbed with the tail gate up

ACS I have a 04 Chev Siverado 1500, 4x4, auto. trans., extended cab short box with the small V8 and love it, You will love the ride of the newer chevy's, and if it's a 4x4 will go just about any where you will want to go, If you want to haul something 8' tho you will need to leave the tail gate down, can't say anything about the V6, but when I was young all I ever wanted was a 5 speed trans, but as we get older we want the auto. trans. it seems ha :D , Take it out and drive it, at least 50 miles or more and you will know if is a truck you will like ??? 101

Big Muddy rancher said:
That's just the truck my son was looking to buy for his girlfriend. :eek:

If you pass send me the info as it might work for them Her car is having head gasket problems and she needs something to drive to work. Is it 4X4?

4x4, a/t/c, pretty basic truck. I had a standard in my car and I loved it, everything but the daily drivers at the farm are sticks. I'm not too worried about putting this truck to work as we have diesels here for it, its to replace my car for fuel economy and give me a newer reliable vehicle to get me from point A to B. I'm going to olds for school in a year so I need something fuel efficient.

101 said:
ACS I have a 04 Chev Siverado 1500, 4x4, auto. trans., extended cab short box with the small V8 and love it, You will love the ride of the newer chevy's, and if it's a 4x4 will go just about any where you will want to go, If you want to haul something 8' tho you will need to leave the tail gate down, can't say anything about the V6, but when I was young all I ever wanted was a 5 speed trans, but as we get older we want the auto. trans. it seems ha :D , Take it out and drive it, at least 50 miles or more and you will know if is a truck you will like ??? 101

What do you get for fuel economy with the 4.8? How many k have you put on without trouble? Are the front ends as weak as the 90's chevy trucks?

I have the 5.3 in mine, I think it is like the older 327 very quick with the rpm's but lacks in torque, runs down the road very well with light loads, but lacks the torque when pulling a trailer with a load!! I get a solid 22 mpg doing 70mph but drops in mpg from there, When going 70 mph the engine is only turning at 18000 rpm so am sure that helps with the gas milage. Mine has 124 thousand on it and the only thing I have done to it is replace the right front hub and wheel bearing that comes a a unit. Hope this helps and good luck . 101

101 said:

He didn't say if it was a extended cab or a regular cab.Extended cabs ride a lot better then a regular cab shortbox.

ACS, Correction it's 1800 rpm at 70 mph not 18000 :oops: Good luck 101

Angus Cattle Shower said:
I'm looking at an '03 Chevy shortbox with a V6 and a 5 speed to replace my truck with. Does anyone know alot about them? I have a friend with one and he loves it, though its not alot for power.

Kid, you seem to have a helluva time with vehicles! Check Kelly Blue Book or some other pricing guide on the web, and see if there are any deducts on options that particular truck may have. I know in Fords, having the 4.6 in a pickup or Expedition is a definite DEDUCT. Most folks who were unfortunate enough to buy one don't like them. Underpowered and as hard on gas a a V8. Probably the best vehicle for the money right now are the Crown Vics. You can pick one up on ebay well worth the dough, even if it is a former cop car, and they should have all kinds of life left. Or get an early 00's Park Ave. Those Park Ave's are bullet proof and will get high 20's for mileage!

Never forget: If you have the horses, they must be fed, whether they are in the barn or under the hood. Economy isn't cheap!

Good luck!

3words, it's a regular cab.

loomix, I already have a car, I want to get another truck cause I totalled mine off in November when I pit maneuvered a deer on the highway. I had that truck for 2 years, and I've kept a Toyota echo running with zero input for six months, but that car is unpractical around here because as soon as there is any significant amount of snow or ice you can't move it, and it's way too small for a big guy like me :lol: I plan on selling both vehicles and making a compromise, getting rid of the V8 and the 4 cylinder and running a V6 in a truck. Do you know if the stick helps at all for fuel economy? He said he got 25 with it, I think that isn't too bad, I got 27 with my monte carlo with a v6.

Latest posts