• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2008 F350 Blown Motor

Help Support Ranchers.net:

eatbeef

Reaction score
Since I have owned this pickup we have had problems (steering gear, radiator, high pressure fuel pump, with waits of up to 2 months to get parts for warranty work), now I really have problems. It is a 2008 F350 Regular Cab with a HydraBed w/54000 miles. Hauling hay yesterday it started knocking then ran real rough. Called dealer right away and said pry an injector bring it in. So in the process of getting home to unload hay and unhook trailer the motor blew. Put a rod threw the side or something oil everywhere. So we hauled it to the dealer. Be 2 weeks before they can start on it and then ???? how long before they done. Dealer will trade for another pickup and not discount mine because warranty will fix everything. Do I trade and get rid of this problematic piece of junk or wait it out have a pickup with a new motor?

get rid of it as fast as you can. I have an 08 at home thats like new, and we have one 450 2008 at work. I despise them both. I will use me old 01 7.3 with 360,000 miles if I really have to depend on it.

There's a Diesel shop here that supposedly has the answer for blown powerstrokes.....R&R with a rebuilt 24V 5.9 Cummins. Cost is less than fixing or replacing a powerstroke and you get a real engine!

It's a Ford, so it's supposed to be junk! :D :wink: I'd trade it and be rid of it. Good luck with what ever you decide. It's never fun to have breakdowns.

"problematic piece of junk" I think you described it well enough to suit me. If your dealer is inclined to trade on favorable terms to you I don't see how you can pass up the offer. I definitely would not want to own this pickup after the warranty expires.

I do like the Cummins option cowsense mentioned, but that would likely all be on your tab. Ford owes you for selling you such a lemon.

cowsense said:
There's a Diesel shop here that supposedly has the answer for blown powerstrokes.....R&R with a rebuilt 24V 5.9 Cummins. Cost is less than fixing or replacing a powerstroke and you get a real engine!

Wouldn't it be nice to take the best parts of them all and put them together into one really solid truck!!! I think it would be pretty awesome to hook an Allison transmission to a Cummins and set it on a Ford chassis and see what you get. Too bad it will never happen, the truck would last too long and the car companies wouldn't go for that.

At least your dealer knows what to fix now. :wink:

I would trade it also, so far am hearing good reports of Ford's new engine. My son uses one of his boss's to drive to work and really likes it.

It seems a lemon vehicle never gets better, maybe a Friday afternoon special?

I'd trade it. I am really wondering about the economics of the diesel trucks. More to buy, more to maintain, really expensive to fix and my 2010 dodge only gets 18mpg and with a small trailer i'm in the 12-14 range and big trailer 10 -12 range. I also have a hemi gas 2010 and the mileage is a little worse than the diesel but pulls pretty darn good. I have driven diesels 3/4 or 1 tons of all makes for years before i pass them down to other parts of the business. I am thinking about buying a 3/4 gas this time. I thinking it more practical, but lacks a little "testosterone" What would you trade for if you decide to trade?

cowsense said:

The guys here who run dodges seem to think the 12 valves will last longer with less grief. I got a couple of 7.3's but like cummins ---maybe someday?

http://www.fordcummins.com/

I drive a 09 ford 150 to get our son to school..We started out getting 20-21 miles to gallon and now it gets only 16... I like the way it drives and handles mud really well.. I did put differant tires on it.. The ones that where on it the gravel chewed them up.. Cloth seats and only two seat buttons... Yes I came down alonnnnng ways from our Escalde... I do like that the back seats fold up and there seems to be lots of room... Just my two cents worth....

I would trade out of that junker fast as you can. The warranty isn't going to last forever and when the next breakdown happens you'll really be up a creek without a paddle.

cowsense said:
Yes but the ford warranty wont pay for a dodge replacement.

Sure would be nice to drop a 7.3 in it, best diesel made to this point. Ah well, good luck with what ever you do.

My solution would be to remove the radiator cap and slide a new GMC under it. We have a 2009 1 ton dually diesel with the 6 speed allison transmission. we love it

I second the get a Chevy. We have an 05 Duramax with a 5 speed and two 08's in the family. The 08's have had to get the tranny lines worked on but other then that no problems, 20mpg+ highway driving and we've gotten as high as 33mpg. Canadian gallons. Has no problem pulling the gooseneck stock trailer or the liquid fertilizer trailer in the spring. The only work the 05 has had done is a door hinge.

Eatbeef,

Find out what is wrong with your engine and if it requires a new block insist on getting a completely new engine. This will give you the engine that has had most of the updates added with less chance of failure. The firmware updates for any ford diesel was nothing but a fiasco.
Something to keep in mind about the latest model CR diesels: They are some of the most complicated engines ever produced due to emission controls. The trucks have three catalytic converters, a dpf, urea injection (don't run out!), regeneration and enough sensors to do diagnostics on all the above. This makes these diesels more expensive to run due to less reliability, the need for urea injection (need to buy), and the need to keep the catalytic converters functioning by injecting fuel into the exhaust stroke thus lowering fuel economy.
The solution may be natural gas injection along with diesel fuel: http://www.westport.com/

thanks for all the input. The ford dealer has an 2006 duramax 4 door leather short bed with 70000 miles. First they weren't even close, now saying will trade plus 1000. I don't think it is a horrible deal but kinda hard to justify without a bale bed on it and i have never had a short bed. Sure glad my problems happened now had it scheduled to take all the emission stuff for the regeneration off and put a chip on.

Trade for the dura max and I feel you will be glad your ford died!

I got a call from my daughters boyfriend last night as my blazer quit on the interstate. No water - - - - I hauled it home and in talking to him the light on the dash has been saying "check guages" for about 2 weeks and the temp guage would be in the red but the car ran fine so he just continued to drive!

He can't understand why I want him to buy the car from me - - - he does not want a car with a blown engine!

Is it really against the law to shoot daughters boyfriends?

Latest posts