• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2011 Pasture Rental Fees

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thanks Justin, Lazy WP, Soapweed, Doug, gcreekrch, Jigs, Denny, and High Lonesome for your replies so far to my question about pasture rental fees!

I've got a related question: Compared to last season, would you say fees have gone up? If so, how much per pair?

Timbergal

P.S. To anyone else out there- I'd appreciate hearing from more of you on what pasture rental fees for cow/calf pairs per month are this year in Western South Dakota or nearby. Thanks!

timbergal said:
Thanks Justin, Lazy WP, Soapweed, Doug, gcreekrch, Jigs, Denny, and High Lonesome for your replies so far to my question about pasture rental fees!

I've got a related question: Compared to last season, would you say fees have gone up? If so, how much per pair?

Timbergal

P.S. To anyone else out there- I'd appreciate hearing from more of you on what pasture rental fees for cow/calf pairs per month are this year in Western South Dakota or nearby. Thanks!

i will be paying the same this year as i have in the past. i don't know if it will go up in years to come, but i'm certain it won't be going down. :( :wink:

check with your extension agent, he/she should be able to tell you what the average rate is for your county.

Justin said:
timbergal said:

Timbergal

i will be paying the same this year as i have in the past. i don't know if it will go up in years to come, but i'm certain it won't be going down. :( :wink:

check with your extension agent, he/she should be able to tell you what the average rate is for your county.

Thanks!

I rent mine out for about $14 an acre. We pump water mosty with electricity now. I pay for the electricity, they do most of the work. If it takes 12.5 acres per cow and pasture for 5.5 months, I believe that figures out about $1 per pair. Electricity has went up this year and my taxes raised about 12%. Haven't talked about this years rate yet.

My folks take in cattle in south central south dakota and I think they are getting $30 to $35/head/mo...don't quote me for sure. I know they aren't exactly western, SD but I hope this maybe helps. If their leases keep going up though I am sure they will have to charge more for grass. Here is what they do though. They provide all the salt and check all the fences. They also check all the cows that are brought in on grass as well as our own about every 3 days I do believe. The catch and doctor and sick cows and calves, although I do believe it is the leasee's responsibility to pay for the vaccine...although I don't think they get a bill for labor. My dad tries hard to be a fair guy and they all enjoy what they do...as I am sure everyone on here does :) Just to give you an example of what was weaned off my folks place one year after running on there grass. We had a gentleman from Martin, SD bring over some gelbvieh/gelbvieh cross cows with calves (yes, they were big cows) and the guy had them put on Superior Auction for the fall and told my dad the weight he had to make and my dad said their was no way that they were gonna weigh way heavy compared to what the guy stated...again don't quote me but I think he stated they had to make 575 to 600lbs avg. Well come fall when cattle came out of the pastures those calves averaged 700lbs. The gentleman was happy they looked good but kinda sad to be docked for weight. Again I hope this helps, and I think my folks actually do a lot for what they get paid to keep cattle, but maybe i'm off my rocker on that one. Again I hope this may help you a little to find the answers you are looking for!

Maybe not close enough to give you a comparison, but in north central nebraska--sandhills pasture we are getting $200/pair for a 5 month season with care or $185 if they check 'em. $1.00/day on most of the yearlings. Property taxes keep driving our rates up

The gentleman was happy they looked good but kinda sad to be docked for weight.[/quote said:
I am not trying to hijack the thread but if you think you get docked for being over weight you need to find someone else figure the slide. The only way that I can see that you loose money is if your calves don't make weight. Sorry for getting off the subject

Sorry flyingS, I have never had much need to figure the slide, as my folks never sell with Superior or any other televised auction. This is just how the gentleman portrayed it to us. I read your other post though and it was very interesting...thank you for teaching me something new!

Hey everbody!

Thanks for all the feedback on pasture rental rates for c/c pairs per month this spring and how they compare to last year- keep on lettting me hear from you!

Also, how early do people start negotiating rates for their pasture contracts ?

Timbergal

timbergal said:
Hey everbody!

Thanks for all the feedback on pasture rental rates for c/c pairs per month this spring and how they compare to last year- keep on lettting me hear from you!

Also, how early do people start negotiating rates for their pasture contracts ?
Timbergal

as a rule, even a law i think, any changes that are planning to be made should be down by October 1st. as far as a new lease, the second it becomes available. :wink:

Latest posts