• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2012 calves from the desert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Finally got around to uploading a few pictures from my wife's camera. Calving is over except for one tailender. Here are a few of the one's that are here. :D Little brother to little H's stockshow steer.
DSC00738.jpg

Close up of the brockle faced little dude.
DSC00739.jpg

Snoozing twins on a bed of straw.
DSC00727.jpg

This heifer belongs to a nice little cow. She will probably be a keeper this fall. We shall see.
DSC00737.jpg

There's gotta be atleast one problem child. This heifer calf was born with a turned out front left leg and weak ankles. Plus she has kinda crooked back legs. :? Can ya see how her front leg turns out?
DSC00736.jpg

Same calf at the refilling station. She is getting better with time, especially on the ankles and back legs but the left front tire is wearing funny.
DSC00744.jpg

Rear veiw. I am not a golfer but they either hook or slice? :???: The cow is a nice cow but not sure what to make of this leg issue. I know i won't keep the heifer calf and wondering if ya'll think it's just the way the calf was carried or if momma needs a ride to town? The calf is getting much better but i still wonder.
DSC00745.jpg

Looks just like his mama. She has plenty of ear as well.
DSC00742.jpg

That isn't his mother behind him. You saw her calf back at the start.
DSC00741.jpg

Negotiating with twenty thirteen's prospective show steer. Depending on how his big brother turns out. :D
DSC00743.jpg

It's a banner year for cats and calves. Calves pay a lot better but kids and kittens sure get along swell.
DSC00747.jpg

I gotta a hunch by fall you will have forgot which calf had the crooked legs. :D

She still might be crooked but you'll have forgot. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Calves are looking good there H. With the lambs and the prospect show calves, your going to be a regular old steer jock in no time. I would think that your dog legged calf will be ready to take on the desert terrain in no time. You will probably not even notice her in the fall.

Great pictures H, glad you caught us all up :D . I wouldn't worry much about the crooked leg calf either. I had two this spring, ignored them, when normally I would have splinted them, and they're perfectly fine. If it were me, I wouldn't get rid of the cow.

Things are looking prosperous in the deset 'H. I'm with everyone else, that calf will be fine. We've had calves with both hind legs bent more than that and they turned out fine. We call them 'wind swept' and like everyone here says, you won't be able to tell come fall. I guess they must just lay funny in the cow, or lay to still in one spot for too long :???:

Big Muddy rancher said:
By they way, your little girl has sure grown. :D

Her pants are a foot short. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Things are pretty tough out here. She's been wearing those pants for 5 years. :D :D She is growing way too quick for me. So is her little brother. It makes their dad feel old. But not as old as you! :lol: :p 8) :wink:

Very nice looking calves, leanin' H!

edited: "cough" for a second in line world's smallest ranch type outfit. :D

Latest posts