• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2014 F350 with 6.2 Gas?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

eatbeef

Reaction score
Comments or suggestions please, on the truck, motor, tranny, etc..... I am tired of dishing out at least 1000 every time I turn around on my 2006 F350 with 6.0 Powerstroke.

Uncle has a 13. It's a decent running truck with decent power. has the auto and I think it's a 6 spd. Pulling a empty 26' flatbed I got a hair either side of 8mpg. Loaded a 10' great plains drill and got around 6.5 mpg running 75 mph both ways. Never heard of any getting over 12 empty. Nice truck but rides like a lumber wagon.

We've got an '11 or '12 F250 (I forget) with that motor and tranny. No complaints except for the ride and the seats. I avoid using it as much as possible.

Got a '14 "Ram" with the coil rear springs, that rides much nicer and seems alright with a heavy load. Very poor low speed drivability during the exhaust regeneration/idling helicopter mode, though. Something must not be right, but too busy to take it back for a while. Sort of wishing it had the big gas engine instead. Fuel mileage is nothing spectacular in the first 3000 miles.

I have a 2013 Lariat with that motor / tranny combination. This year I put 50,000 kms on it (90% + off highway) and the only glitch was an ABS sensor got disconnected in the mud I drive in. This truck has been standing up far better than my '10 Dodge diesel did under the same conditions.
The engine with Ford's "Dynamic Braking" actually holds back nearly as well as the diesel with the exhaust brake. My truck has the bucket seats with center console and is much more comfortable than the split bench I had in the Dodge. I suppose it does ride a bit rough, but is still an improvement over the Dodge.
Power I think is pretty good, 385 hp I think, but to take advantage of it you really have to have it wound right up, which is different after driving a diesel for so long. As far as mileage goes, it's terrible. Gets almost exactly what my Dodge got :( It will get about 15 mpg on flat dry pavement but I don't see much of that so it goes down from there.

Anyway, that's my two cents for what it's worth.

Silver said:
I have a 2013 Lariat with that motor / tranny combination. This year I put 50,000 kms on it (90% + off highway) and the only glitch was an ABS sensor got disconnected in the mud I drive in. This truck has been standing up far better than my '10 Dodge diesel did under the same conditions.
The engine with Ford's "Dynamic Braking" actually holds back nearly as well as the diesel with the exhaust brake. My truck has the bucket seats with center console and is much more comfortable than the split bench I had in the Dodge. I suppose it does ride a bit rough, but is still an improvement over the Dodge.
Power I think is pretty good, 385 hp I think, but to take advantage of it you really have to have it wound right up, which is different after driving a diesel for so long. As far as mileage goes, it's terrible. Gets almost exactly what my Dodge got :( It will get about 15 mpg on flat dry pavement but I don't see much of that so it goes down from there.

How bad is terrible mileage? Been getting averaging 11 feeding, hauling, running to town. Will it do that?

Mr. FH LOVES, LOVES, LOVES his 2011 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 Dually.

However, it has the exhaust brake, installed at the factory. He doesn't like that it quits working too soon. He likes it to stay on til he is stopped. Has
anyone else noticed that? He always had them installed on any pickup
he owned since 2002, and they didn't work that way. He thinks the one
on the 2011 is a better brake, but it turns loose right at the end. :???:

Comments, please.

eatbeef said:
Silver said:

How bad is terrible mileage? Been getting averaging 11 feeding, hauling, running to town. Will it do that?

That's about what I get running around bush roads, which are of course rough, hilly, winding, and often muddy. Hauling will be worse if you are in hilly country or hauling heavy loads I would think.

Silver said:
eatbeef said:
Silver said:

That's about what I get running around bush roads, which are of course rough, hilly, winding, and often muddy. Hauling will be worse if you are in hilly country or hauling heavy loads I would think.

Don't forget our gallons are bigger.

Faster horses said:

However, it has the exhaust brake, installed at the factory. He doesn't like that it quits working too soon. He likes it to stay on til he is stopped. Has

Comments, please.

Mine is 2009 and it does that also works great down till about 25-30 mph then just quits.

3 M L & C said:
Faster horses said:

Comments, please.

Mine is 2009 and it does that also works great down till about 25-30 mph then just quits.
The '14 does the same thing. The 6 speed automatic downshifts once or twice on it's own going downhill with the exhaust brake on, when it's not necessary. If I want it to shift down, would like to be able to control it myself. Not to sound like a broken record, but to anyone interested, don't sell the Dodge's new rear suspension short.

eatbeef said:
Comments or suggestions please, on the truck, motor, tranny, etc..... I am tired of dishing out at least 1000 every time I turn around on my 2006 F350 with 6.0 Powerstroke.

At the end of the day, I think you will be more happy with the new Ford than anything else out there. Just remember, it's a truck, not a Rolls Royce, so it will ride like a truck....and if you've got the horses, they have to be fed...whether they're in the barn or under the hood.

I have a 2012 F-350 with the 6.2 and 6 speed auto. I like it a lot. Gets 12-14 mpg empty and does ride a little hard but it's a fairly heavy truck. It pulls a 20' stock trailer full of cows very easily. A 28' flat trailer loaded with hay, total weight about 30,000 lbs, takes a little more effort but it pulls it very well. I am impressed with it's power. Had an 07 Chevy with a similar set up before and the Ford has more power but doesn't have some of the nice amenities that the Chevy had. I like the seat and the vision seems better in the Ford. Certainly worth considering the Ford.

Faster horses said:

Comments, please.

I really love the exhaust brake on my Dodge. Seems like the more braking power you need the more it gives you. But you are right, it does cut you loose a little too early in my opinion. Was Mr. FH a truck driver? Maybe he's like me and is used to the trucks that would jake until the engine stalled. It took me a while to get used to the newer trucks that would shut the jake off before you came to a stop, but on the other hand if you've ever stalled a truck with the jake trying to slow down on an icy hill you come to appreciate the change :shock: :D

Traveler said:
We've got an '11 or '12 F250 (I forget) with that motor and tranny. No complaints except for the ride and the seats. I avoid using it as much as possible.

Got a '14 "Ram" with the coil rear springs, that rides much nicer and seems alright with a heavy load. Very poor low speed drivability during the exhaust regeneration/idling helicopter mode, though. Something must not be right, but too busy to take it back for a while. Sort of wishing it had the big gas engine instead. Fuel mileage is nothing spectacular in the first 3000 miles.
Sort of an update. Added fresh DEF and it seems to be regenerating without stumbling so much, besides you can't put a price on the warm and fuzzy feeling you get from saving the planet. :roll:

Well for better or worse I traded pickups. Got a 2012 Chevy 3500 WT, with a 6.0 gas, 4.10 rear, has 26000 miles on it. Drove it home today and got 10.4 driving into a 10-20 mph wind. Verdict is still out but I think there will be more pros than cons.

eatbeef said:
Well for better or worse I traded pickups. Got a 2012 Chevy 3500 WT, with a 6.0 gas, 4.10 rear, has 26000 miles on it. Drove it home today and got 10.4 driving into a 10-20 mph wind. Verdict is still out but I think there will be more pros than cons.
Good choice. Have a young couple employed that have a 6.0 with ~270,000 on it, not that they don't make enough to drive something fresher :) . Also, the 6.0 that he uses for work had a valve spring break at 90,000, and then the head gasket, but it's been good for what it's been through.

Latest posts