• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2018 life from the Leanin' H

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Its been a dry year on our old desert. Everyone has suffered from lack of grass and water. But all a guy can do is keep working and improving and relying on the Good Lord. Had a good cow calve and got a pretty Angus/Hereford cross heifer calf. She is out of Ned Jr's great Hereford bull Homer.[/url

Little H is growing up too dang fast. She is a junior in high school and has all the boys lined up. :x She shows sheep and sells stockshow lambs all over Utah. Here she is in Delta Utah with a lamb from this spring.
[url=https://postimages.org/]

The kids took jobs on a neighbors ranch for the summer. Here they are with their first checks. They built miles of fence, moved irrigation pipes (when we had water) and worked with cattle. Sure proud of the two rascals

Took Littlest H and his cousin catfishing and they slayed them. Fun times and good eating!

Littlest H is a mean lean seventh grader. He is a pig showman extraordinaire! Here he is with his Star class hog from the Tooele County Fair. He placed 6th overall out of 221 pigs.

My Dad turned 79 and had drawn a special antelope tag out on the Nevada line. He has had a few eye troubles and was having a tough time shooting as we got ready for the hunt. His right eye is worse than his left and he simply couldn't see the scope good. So we bought him a "rooster cogburn" eye patch and he shot left handed. What a dang rockstar! Killed a great antelope and is and always will be, my role model.

Littlest H drew his first deer tag as ya gotta be 12 in Utah to hunt deer. He passed up about million small bucks looking for a good buck and finally shot his 2 point on the 2nd to last day. One shot at 120 yards with his muzzleloader and we had deer steaks!!!!

Got my cows home. They stayed in fair shape for the year we've had.

Had to feed for a couple of weeks til we had enough cold weather to freeze back the hayfieilds and I could turn my cows out after weaning.

Keeping two heifers. This calfs mother fell crossing a deep wash and got stuck on her back and we lost her. :? Ticks me off but that's life having stock.

Weaned calves at the manger is simply good for a guys attitude.

Moved our cows from some meadow ground over to a leased hay field. This year I told the kids to see if they could handle it. They did it no sweat!!! :D Must get their stockmanship skills for their momma

And i'll leave y'all with a picture of a friend and his buck he killed out here where we ranch. Its a limited entry special area and I always seem to end up helping a guy or three each fall. Cody is a great guy and a pleasure to hunt with. Hope all is well to y'all where ever you may roam. Life is fine when you work with stock and the land.

You are making some good memories. Kids grow up too fast and parents grow old too fast.
Love how your kids are involved with livestock. It's a blessing they can do that. Their parents have instilled
a good work ethic in them, it's obvious!

That is a monster buck. I'll show it to Mr. FH.

Thanks for sharing!!

All is well there except your being landlocked. Maybe time to sail to another island...……

Another couple years and those youngun's can come north.

Speed goats don't count. I want the pictures of him showing them at the county fair. Big H that is, no pretending that they are his kid's project!

Thanks for the update 'H, looks like you are getting the most out of what life has to offer!

No way can she be a junior!! Looks like all is well there, we were super dry this summer too. Mike wants to know what the buck scored.

Latest posts