• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2021 Timed Event Championship is on Cowboy tv.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

And medicine has improved and transportation and communication and countless other things. Look at the difference in the pandemic in 1918 and the one we are in the now!!! Night and day difference. Not all change is BAD. And it's sure all isn't GOOD. I couldn't agree with ya more about the "music" played today on the radio. It's garbage to me. But record sales and airtime says it's as popular as ever. This website is a mixing pot of ranchers doing the same thing In Many different ways. That's what is intriguing and fun about this place. If we all matched in lock step what would be the point? Heck we even put up with team ropers 😁😁😁
And before I forget, THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR NATION!!!!!!!!! All veterans are first class hero's in my eyes. I tip my hat to ya sir. My dad is a proud Navy veteran too.

I do appreciate your "thanks" for my Service, but I did join the Navy, just prior to high school graduation, to avoid the Draft getting me. I knew, if the Draft got me, I'd been in the jungles of Vietnam having bullets fly by me. As it was, I got my Draft Notice when I was in Navy Basic Training in Great Lakes, Illinois, but they couldn't get me. Thank God that the Navy Basic didn't release me for anything, like a Medical Release. Draft would've picked me up right away.

I don't care how or when or why you served. SERVED is the key word. Many thanks Sir
Ok, ok, but it wasn't my choice to serve! It was either the Draft or enlist into another Service. At least I didn't run to Canada, like some did.
At least I wasn't called names at an airport, like many were who served in the Army had happen.
My dad had been a Seabee (Navy Construction).
Again........thanks!

Ok, but just look at todays music at a PRCA rodeo. Classic Rock, some Oldies and even Disco. Doesn't seem like there is anymore of the old Country-Western music that use to be at them. Now it's Bon Jovi, Journey, Bee Gees, Joan Jett and numerous others. But, have heard Brenda Lee's "I'm Sorry".

Thanks for making a point others have tried to make here. Today's PRCA rodeo has almost nothing to do with real ranch life. While I love all kinds of music, the lack of the old-time cowboy music at a rodeo is just another nail in modern rodeos coffin. When the Sons of the Pioneers singing, "Tumbling Tumbleweed" is replaced with Bon Jovi singing, "Smoking in the Boys Room" it is made clear why rodeo no longer resembles the real rodeos held so real ranch hands could show their skills. I don't know what goes on in the boy's room, but it sure isn't the same as what used to happen in the tumbleweeds piled high against the barn.

Actually I much prefer a rodeo announcer who doesn't feel the need to bring along a DJ to play music. Surprisingly some of the very best announcers past and present just announce the rodeo. Want to hear music get in your car and turn on the radio or go to a concert. We are here at a rodeo to watch horses buck. If there is too much dead space in the show that is up to the arena director to fill by keeping things moving. Some of those old contractors would certainly cuss you if you weren't ready to go and it didn't matter who you were. If you were never cussed out by the late Reg Kesler you have never experienced a real cussing.

Broke my heart that Cotton Rosser wasn't at the Ute Stampede rodeo in Nephi Utah this past year. I rode in a few rodeos he contracted and he is a great guy. He sent a video hello they played over the big screen. Just wasn't the same as him being a horseback in the arena barking out instructions and running the show

Thanks for making a point others have tried to make here. Today's PRCA rodeo has almost nothing to do with real ranch life. While I love all kinds of music, the lack of the old-time cowboy music at a rodeo is just another nail in modern rodeos coffin. When the Sons of the Pioneers singing, "Tumbling Tumbleweed" is replaced with Bon Jovi singing, "Smoking in the Boys Room" it is made clear why rodeo no longer resembles the real rodeos held so real ranch hands could show their skills. I don't know what goes on in the boy's room, but it sure isn't the same as what used to happen in the tumbleweeds piled high against the barn.
First, Brownsville Station was the first to sing, Smoking in the Boys Room. Bon Jovi done it later.

And, if you have ever gone to the NFR (now called Wrangler National Finals) Rodeo, the rodeo is sold out for all 10 rounds. Las Vegas turns out big-time for this rodeo. We been to it a few times.

Second, Saddle Bronc Riding, which is considered "the Classic event of pro-rodeo". Breaking horses on a ranch is very much similar to this event. Calf, Team and Breakaway is still roping, with is done in ranch work. Not the same way, but it is still roping.

Nobody can change the way professional rodeo is today, the contestants sure love the money they get. Which is far better than the old rodeo days. Just ask Hall of Famer, Larry Mahan.

And, I'd like to hear how you feel about ranch rodeos and the WRCA that has them?

Actually I much prefer a rodeo announcer who doesn't feel the need to bring along a DJ to play music. Surprisingly some of the very best announcers past and present just announce the rodeo. Want to hear music get in your car and turn on the radio or go to a concert. We are here at a rodeo to watch horses buck. If there is too much dead space in the show that is up to the arena director to fill by keeping things moving. Some of those old contractors would certainly cuss you if you weren't ready to go and it didn't matter who you were. If you were never cussed out by the late Reg Kesler you have never experienced a real cussing.
There again, thinking "too old". A Rodeo Committee is in charge of who announces their rodeo. And, announcers today play music. Dead silence isn't what fans want.

Heck, even at 72 years old, wife at 73, the music that is played don't bother us at all. But, then again, we like some things that many early Baby Boomers don't. And, on top of that, many, many years ago, I played a set of Ludwig drums for a band that played Classic Rock.

Broke my heart that Cotton Rosser wasn't at the Ute Stampede rodeo in Nephi Utah this past year. I rode in a few rodeos he contracted and he is a great guy. He sent a video hello they played over the big screen. Just wasn't the same as him being a horseback in the arena barking out instructions and running the show
I use to work for him in a few different So California PRCA rodeos, like the Orange County Fair PRCA rodeo. Did you know that, at one time, he was a calf roper. I read that that is how he lost a thumb. I also knew his wife, Karen Rosser, his son Reno and daughter Cindy. Yes, good old Flying U Rodeo Company!

Cody, You fail to get the point that many here are older values cattle ranchers and don't go to the rodeo to hear an announcer that doesn't know how to fill mic time with humor and interesting ranch chatter, play ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man while a dude comes out riding a 2 million dollar Tennesse Walker dressed in all the latest western fashion brands sponsoring the rodeo. I had rather see an old chuckwagon pulled by Clydesdales loaded with Budwiser beer while my friend, now deceased, a blues hall of fame musician from Baker City sings his rockin blues tune, Baker City BBQ.

"Well it is the 4th of July outside of Baker City
where the cowboys and the hippies are dressed up all pretty
were going to party on down just like we used to do
it is a low down hoe down Baker City barbeque

Put on by the JC's going on 35 year
lots of great food and Budwiser beer
were going to party on down like we used to do
it is a low down hoe down Baker City barbeque"

Eastern Oregon has had several famous folks involved in modern-day rodeo. Announcers bullfighters, stock contractors, etc. so rodeo royalty is not a big deal to folks in these parts east of the Cascades, especially working ranchers.

Last edited:
Cody, You fail to get the point that many here are older values cattle ranchers and don't go to the rodeo to hear an announcer that doesn't know how to fill mic time with humor and interesting ranch chatter, play ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man while a dude comes out riding a 2 million dollar Tennesse Walker dressed in all the latest western fashion brands sponsoring the rodeo. I had rather see an old chuckwagon pulled by Clydales loaded with Budwiser beer while my friend, now deceased, a blues hall of fame musician from Baker City sings his rockin blues tune, Baker City BBQ.

"Well it is the 4th of July outside of Baker City
where the cowboys and the hippies are dressed up all pretty
were going to party on down just like we used to do
it is a low down hoe down Baker City barbeque

Put on by the JC's going on 35 year
lots of great food and Budwiser beer
were going to party on down like we used to do
it is a low down hoe down Baker City barbeque"

Eastern Oregon has had several famous folks involved in modern-day rodeo. Announcers bullfighters, stock contractors, etc. so rodeo royalty is not a big deal to folks in these parts east of the Cascades, especially working ranchers.
First, I don't "fail" to get the point. Ranch people don't have to go to PRCA sanctioned rodeos when they have their own rodeo Association.

As far as your statement about the act playing ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man, it a Contract Act that, as far as I know, the Rodeo Committee hires. I've seen some weird Contract Acts, that will dress in really flashy clothes, but that just part of their Act.

I don't criticize rodeo, like you do. Wife and I like the way rodeo is today.

I remember how shocked both of us were when we attended, twice, the Wrangler Winter Finals in Las Vegas in June of 2001. That was our Wedding vacation and we loved it. Each round was held in the MGM Grand Gardens and I won our tickets playing a slot machine. During the opening, Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" was playing while the different events were shown on a large arena screen. At first, we didn't know what to think, but then got very, very use to the music.

And, obviously, you don't like those "rodeo" brands that I use to wear and wife and I still do. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. In fact, those Wrangler shirts now display companies/brands that pay a lot of traveling expenses for rodeo contestants.

I'm not a ranch hand, and no longer a member of rodeo, but still consider myself a cowboy. The word "cowboy" is in my heart, not in the arena anymore.

While living in So California, we attended a big "Old West" event in Norco, California called End Of Trail. Absolutely terrific! SASS was there as well. Plenty of old cowboy clothes and a big mobile arena where horseback shooters, a stagecoach robbery, Native American Indians attacking the stagecoach, etc. It was a wonderful day.

@Mountain Cowgirl, the old ways of rodeo will never return. Just like sitting on an old John Deere tractor, reaching behind and pulling a rope to lower the plough blades down.

Last edited:
I don't fully compare professional rodeo to a working-cowboy ranch, but then again, I do see events that would come from ranch work. Perhaps there are those ranch hands/owner that don't see it that way, but I learned to "head" thru a Roping School, not thru ranch work.

Heck, I don't even know if ranch cowboys even use the same kind/brand of ropes that are used in pro-rodeo. In the beginning of my roping days, I used Rattler "heading" ropes. Later, I changed over to Classic "heading" ropes.

Mr Cody rodeo started because of ranching. It's roots come directly from a couple guys wanting to see who could rope a calf better or faster, or two bronc riders who wanted to see who was best. Never discount that!!! Rodeo doesn't exist without ranching. Some of us hate to see become watered down and changed from its roots. But that doesn't mean we don't love watching athletes, human and animal, compete at all different levels. To me, I could do without the rock concert atmosphere. Fireworks are fun and glitz and glimmer have their place. I just like the man VS animal competition that takes place. I guess it may help attract folks who aren't hardcore western. It's all good. I've been to the National Finals. I much prefer Cheyenne Frontier days. The times event calves are all fresh and have never run before. Some actually walk out of the chute. It's much truer to tradition. The NFR is awesome because it's the best 15 in each event competing against the best stock in the world from many different stock contractors. But I prefer Cheyenne. You prefer what you choose.
Side note- I've been outside the arena doing ranch work with some pretty good rodeo cowboys. Some are just too hands. And some couldn't catch a cold unless it was in a smooth harrowed arena and running in a straight line. A sixty foot ranch rope in the hands of a top hand is a sight to behold. And this is on a sage brush flat with rocks and wash outs and 200 head of cattle in the way. It's every bit as impressive as anything Trevor Brazilie Or Fred Whitfield every did in an arena. To each their own.

Mr Cody rodeo started because of ranching. It's roots come directly from a couple guys wanting to see who could rope a calf better or faster, or two bronc riders who wanted to see who was best. Never discount that!!! Rodeo doesn't exist without ranching. Some of us hate to see become watered down and changed from its roots. But that doesn't mean we don't love watching athletes, human and animal, compete at all different levels. To me, I could do without the rock concert atmosphere. Fireworks are fun and glitz and glimmer have their place. I just like the man VS animal competition that takes place. I guess it may help attract folks who aren't hardcore western. It's all good. I've been to the National Finals. I much prefer Cheyenne Frontier days. The times event calves are all fresh and have never run before. Some actually walk out of the chute. It's much truer to tradition. The NFR is awesome because it's the best 15 in each event competing against the best stock in the world from many different stock contractors. But I prefer Cheyenne. You prefer what you choose.
Side note- I've been outside the arena doing ranch work with some pretty good rodeo cowboys. Some are just too hands. And some couldn't catch a cold unless it was in a smooth harrowed arena and running in a straight line. A sixty foot ranch rope in the hands of a top hand is a sight to behold. And this is on a sage brush flat with rocks and wash outs and 200 head of cattle in the way. It's every bit as impressive as anything Trevor Brazilie Or Fred Whitfield every did in an arena. To each their own.
Yes, I know where it came from. We have the movie, The Great American Cowboy, and the starting of rodeo is documented in the movie.

We've been to both, CFD (Cheyenne Frontier Days) rodeo and the NFR in Vegas. The CFD rodeo is just too long of a performance, for us. We do like walking around to the Chuckwagon area, Indian Village and other places. But, at the NFR in Vegas, we love going to Cowboy Christmas, the autograph sessions, Christmas decor and, of course, the gambling. Don't spend a lot, but enough. And, get a nice discount on our room from our subscription to Pro Rodeo Sports News. Every time we go (fly in out of DIA) we have a great time! Most of the rodeo fans in hats, Wrangler or Cinch jeans and so on. Absolutely LOVE it!! We have our cowboy hats on on the airlines and some other passengers do as well. Pretty much all of the passengers know where we are going, since the flight is direct from DIA to Vegas.

Actually, the guy that hosted the Roping School I went to, lived in Montana for a long time, before moving to So California/Norco.

And, being that PRCA Stock Contractors take care of their own livestock, they are ranchers also.

Yes, I know where it came from. We have the movie, The Great American Cowboy, and the starting of rodeo is documented in the movie.

We've been to both, CFD (Cheyenne Frontier Days) rodeo and the NFR in Vegas. The CFD rodeo is just too long of a performance, for us. We do like walking around to the Chuckwagon area, Indian Village and other places. But, at the NFR in Vegas, we love going to Cowboy Christmas, the autograph sessions, Christmas decor and, of course, the gambling. Don't spend a lot, but enough. And, get a nice discount on our room from our subscription to Pro Rodeo Sports News. Every time we go (fly in out of DIA) we have a great time! Most of the rodeo fans in hats, Wrangler or Cinch jeans and so on. Absolutely LOVE it!! We have our cowboy hats on on the airlines and some other passengers do as well. Pretty much all of the passengers know where we are going, since the flight is direct from DIA to Vegas.

Actually, the guy that hosted the Roping School I went to, lived in Montana for a long time, before moving to So California/Norco.

And, being that PRCA Stock Contractors take care of their own livestock, they are ranchers also.
Wondering whose roping school did you go to?

Wondering whose roping school did you go to?
Part of my schooling came from The Horse Camp in Norco, California. It is no longer there, but when it was, a weekend roping school was there that I attended, with my horse. Another part of my schooling came from ground work on a dummy and using a Lap-n-Tap Roper.

Once I got good with the dummy and using the Lap-n-Tap, I went to The Horse Camp and got in some real arena action.

Part of my schooling came from The Horse Camp in Norco, California. It is no longer there, but when it was, a weekend roping school was there that I attended, with my horse. Another part of my schooling came from ground work on a dummy and using a Lap-n-Tap Roper.

Once I got good with the dummy and using the Lap-n-Tap, I went to The Horse Camp and got in some real arena action.
I was wondering who the instructor was that was from Montana. You posted, "Actually, the guy that hosted the Roping School I went to, lived in Montana for a long time, before moving to So California/Norco."

How many horses did you have to head on? Tell us about them.

I was wondering who the instructor was that was from Montana. You posted, "Actually, the guy that hosted the Roping School I went to, lived in Montana for a long time, before moving to So California/Norco."

How many horses did you have to head on? Tell us about them.
His name was Jim Brooks. He is a black dude and has a Lifetime Membership with PRCA as a calf and team roper. He showed up a some So. California rodeos, but the rodeo that knew him the best was at Norco, because that's where he lived and had The Horse Camp, at the time. This was back in the 80's. He no longer competes. He married a white lady, named Connie, which wasn't a very popular thing to do back then. He knew how to "ranch rope" and both him and Connie always wore the large "Montana" crease hats. Numerous team ropers liked his place (The Horse Camp), but then someone opened up another roping arena next to a horse auction in Riverside/Mira Loma area.

Don't remember what the name of the steers were, but, at Jim's place, plastic wrap-around horns were put on his roping steers. The new arena that opened, used Corriente steers for roping and Jim lost ropers due to that. They'd rather rope real horns than the kind that are fake plastic that are strapped to the steers head/neck.

Basically, I only had one horse to head on. He was a red roan gelding that was a registered quarter horse. After buying him, I became a member of AQHA.
Other horse was primarily a trail horse and sort of spooked when forming and/or swinging a loop around him.

Latest posts