• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2021 Ute Stampede

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We had a great time in Nephi Utah last night. Great rodeo and the committee did a wonderful job putting on the show. Started with the flag parachuted into the arena. Seen it many times and always makes my heart sing
D4E9B71D-89CE-488F-A610-FBE081E6EC01.jpeg

The national guard was there to get it gathered up almost as quick as it touched down.
807B0D16-D35B-48EF-86D9-CB330EB01BC3.jpeg

Some pretty good names were there. Some rode better than others. Only six bareback riders. Kinda sad to see that sport not have a bunch of guys like the old days

1CB3983F-BB5D-408F-849C-B996DDB3F288.jpeg

D6909B58-6C2C-4A1D-86E1-621F2241FEFA.jpeg

Steer wrestlers had a pen of big rangy steers. They struggled. But made for fun watching
F680A8CA-3533-40D0-90BF-6675C6CAC6A7.jpeg

C0A5101F-421D-43A6-AD7F-7DA600B31EA8.jpeg

Saddle broncs had Ryder and Rusty Wright. Did ok on very average horses. I thought their score reflected the name and not the ride. But judges do that sometimes
FF8DFBD9-875E-4900-BDFA-18480440C297.jpeg
49450FF7-D11E-4706-A20B-1FF56327AA36.jpeg
358A24FE-5B55-4261-A002-C2CE9DD9507D.jpeg
49450FF7-D11E-4706-A20B-1FF56327AA36.jpeg

I can only attach ten pictures so that'll have to do ya. Bulls were good. The ladies put on a show in break away roping and barrels. The ropers were there too but nobody seemed to care 😁
And after the rodeo, two crazy guys did motocross jumps including backflips. We had a fine night
8B1BE35A-5E28-46F8-BA8C-A2F4C1427FD9.jpeg

I remember one year at Grand Coulee there was 72 bareback riders. That was probably 1974 or 75. I was talking to someone about this recently. Our thinking was back in the 50's and 60's how many little 50-100 cows middle of nowhere ranches were there. All those baby boomer kids were raise with no TV, video games, etc. They played and worked outside. They rode horses both for work and play. The result is more young men who think they can ride bucking horses. A bareback rigging is or was cheaper than a bronc saddle.

I remember one year at Grand Coulee there was 72 bareback riders. That was probably 1974 or 75. I was talking to someone about this recently. Our thinking was back in the 50's and 60's how many little 50-100 cows middle of nowhere ranches were there. All those baby boomer kids were raise with no TV, video games, etc. They played and worked outside. They rode horses both for work and play. The result is more young men who think they can ride bucking horses. A bareback rigging is or was cheaper than a bronc saddle.
Hutterites and corporate outfits is the way its going. If you drive through it still looks like small outfits but they are really just acreages. Most dont know their neighbor's. No community.

We had a great time in Nephi Utah last night. Great rodeo and the committee did a wonderful job putting on the show. Started with the flag parachuted into the arena. Seen it many times and always makes my heart sing
View attachment 1172
The national guard was there to get it gathered up almost as quick as it touched down.
View attachment 1173
Some pretty good names were there. Some rode better than others. Only six bareback riders. Kinda sad to see that sport not have a bunch of guys like the old days

View attachment 1174
View attachment 1175
Steer wrestlers had a pen of big rangy steers. They struggled. But made for fun watching
View attachment 1176
View attachment 1177
Saddle broncs had Ryder and Rusty Wright. Did ok on very average horses. I thought their score reflected the name and not the ride. But judges do that sometimes
View attachment 1178View attachment 1180View attachment 1179View attachment 1180
I can only attach ten pictures so that'll have to do ya. Bulls were good. The ladies put on a show in break away roping and barrels. The ropers were there too but nobody seemed to care 😁
And after the rodeo, two crazy guys did motocross jumps including backflips. We had a fine nightView attachment 1181
Beautiful family Leanin! Lovely smiles. The flag photo was very touching. I have seen that done a couple of times and never get tired of watching it.

Beautiful family Leanin! Lovely smiles. The flag photo was very touching. I have seen that done a couple of times and never get tired of watching it.
You are lucky he wasn't in the photo. His friends quit taking him squirrel hunting because when he uglied them to death he tore them up too bad.

We been sitting behind the bucking chutes for over forty years. Love the view and can't beat the action.
I haven't gone to very many rodeos since I hung it up. I have noticed the seats you pay admission for are not nearly as good as the ones you have when you pay entry fees. The view is better from the chutes, it is not as crowded, and not nearly as many drunken idiots. Not saying there are no drunken idiots behind the chutes, just not as many of them.

I haven't gone to very many rodeos since I hung it up. I have noticed the seats you pay admission for are not nearly as good as the ones you have when you pay entry fees. The view is better from the chutes, it is not as crowded, and not nearly as many drunken idiots. Not saying there are no drunken idiots behind the chutes, just not as many of them.
I agree. Since I stopped competing it's just not the same. But this is one of the few rodeos I try not to miss.

Drunken idiot behind the chutes story. This was 1975 fourth of July weekend at a rodeo on the Colville Indian Reservation. Cleatis Lacy was the flank man. A true gentleman but one triple tough man and no one to mess with. As Cleatis moved from chute to chute there was a drunk Indian who kept following him and leaning over his shoulder. Finally in the middle of the bull riding Cleatis had just had enough. He tosses an elbow under this guys chin knocking him off the platform to the ground behind the chutes. Cleatis had one those old silver hot shots. The kind where you pushed on the handle to deliver the charge. And those things were hot. Cleatis stepped off the chute and stuck the hot shot in the guys rear. And held it there basically lifting the guy while he climbed over the fence into a pen of bulls back there. The cowboys all went dead silent. Cleatis smiled and said, "well I don't think he will be back." The place erupted with laughter.

Latest posts