• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

.22 rifle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

txbobcat

Reaction score
I am planning to get my daughter a .22 rifle for Christmas. She is 10 yrs old and has been attending 4-H shooting sports for the the past several months.

Any suggestions on a good .22 rifle for her?

Yes, I would like to have something she can handle now, but can also shoot when she becomes and adult. Just looking for a good, reliable, accurate .22 that would fit a child, and that adult would be happy shooting as well.

She has shot the little Cricket guns at practice, but I thought they were a little bit too small.

I have a lever action Henry...one of the best shooting little 22 I have ever played around with. open sights make you a better shot I think.

Try the pawn shops etc around.

You'd be surprised what you can find there right now while people are strapped for cash.

I have a Winchester Model 9422 lever action that I got for Christmas when I was ten, 17 LR tube magazine.
It has been an extremely dependable and accurate gun.

Nothing with a hammer would be a good start, bolt action, clip fed would be my choice. Marlin, Remington, winchester, Savage, Ruger......... Kola had a good point, some darn good used a little guns out there. I remember the Chistmas I got my first gun, It was 34 years ago and I was 5, I will never forget the feeling. I did not sleep for two nights!
It will be a great gift reguardless of what brand you choose, Merry Christmas, Shawn

My first gun was a single shot steven's 22 I got it for my 9th birthday it is a very accurate rifle.My dad bought it at a farm sale for $20.I gave it to my son last week for his 9th birthday he's pretty proud of it and a good shot to boot.A single shot will teach them to aim first shoot second instead of just pulling the trigger which makes it easy to be careless.I've never needed alot of ammo in my life time as my dad would only let us take 3 shotgun shells with a single shot to go hunting. And if you did'nt get anything with your 3 shells you did'nt get more without earning them.

My son is 9 and I've been looking for either a 20 gage or a .22. He shows good gun safty with his BB gun so he could move up. Problem is the "starter" guns I've looked at don't apreciate the significance of a first gun. I won't buy a softwood stock for a "first gun." For a .22 I want a bolt with an open hammer - like the old Stevens. The industry equates bolt .22 with cheap, but to me its safe. I'm about the stingiest er I mean most frugal guy but first gun for only son is no place to scrimp. I got several ideas to look at from this thread so thanks.

I have had a Remington Model 572 since 1969. It has never failed me, and probably shot over 10,000 rounds thru it at everything from gophers to badgers. It just stays sighted in. It is a pump action, tube feed. About five years ago starting collecting them for my grandkids, gave out the first one to an eight year old(with parents permission). He uses it regularly and enjoys it to no end. I know there are probably cheaper models out there, but this one has lasted me nearly a lifetime with virtually no maintenance except an occasional cleaning.

Shoer just got me a Ruger 10-22 semi auto and I LOVE it. I have short arms and its easy for me to shot. He also got me 2 ~25shot banana clips wwwhhoooo Just make sure you dont get hollow points they will jam up in the clip.
I have a bolt action Remington .17 but I really love my 22
If she has shot before she will have a ball shoting the 10-22 either plinking or varmits.

I would stay away from the 10-22 for safety concerns. Make them cock it manually for a few years.
I would also reccomend something with a hammer, a visual aid to know when it is cocked. I started with a single shot and a hammer, both my brothers had pump action with hammers and we are all still lead free.

Denny said:
My first gun was a single shot steven's 22 I got it for my 9th birthday it is a very accurate rifle.My dad bought it at a farm sale for $20.I gave it to my son last week for his 9th birthday he's pretty proud of it and a good shot to boot.A single shot will teach them to aim first shoot second instead of just pulling the trigger which makes it easy to be careless.I've never needed alot of ammo in my life time as my dad would only let us take 3 shotgun shells with a single shot to go hunting. And if you did'nt get anything with your 3 shells you did'nt get more without earning them.

Sounds like your dad and my dad went to dad school together. My first .22 (and still my only) was / is a single shot Cooey. Times were tough so shells were a precious commodity and I learned to make them count. When I was 9 yrs old I was shooting squirrles, skinning and stretching them myself and selling them using my grandfather's trapping license number. Of course, proceeds from this endeavor went to resupplying the ammunition stocks and what was left I would spend on whatever.
I still think a single shot is the best possible gun to teach a kid responsibility, and a meagre supply of ammunition is a great way to teach a little frugality, patience, marksmanship, and a host of other traits that will serve a child well in the future.
Of course, a semi-auto, a couple of fifty shot clips, an automatic reloader and a buddy to keep your clips full has it's own set or merits as well :wink:

I agree with the single shot idea,thats how i learned,matter of fact my favorite deer rifle is an old single shot Ruger................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
I agree with the single shot idea,thats how i learned,matter of fact my favorite deer rifle is an old single shot Ruger................good luck

No one else on here is old enough to have learned to shoot with a flint-lock. 8) :lol:

Latest posts