• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

26 days........

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Justin said:
Soapweed said:
98% done in 80 days. :wink:

so has the slow part began yet? :wink:

We thought we were about done, but plans changed. :)

Yesterday afternoon at 4 p.m., I took off on my trusty Polaris Ranger to check the "fall calvers," and possibly bring them home out of the hills to someday preg check them. There were 97 head in the bunch, and they have been surviving this past winter on left-over summer pasture, soapweeds, salt, mineral, water, and intermittent sunshine. A month ago they were a bit on the "green" side, but they have really come around since a little new grass has been appearing. Three and a half hours, 26 miles (on the Ranger), and a few thousand acres later, I had them in a nearby pasture.

When we preg check starting in early October, I always tell the official that if there is any doubt to consider them open. That way we can throw bulls back with the young cows in hopes of getting them pregnant to have calves the following fall. There are generally a few "surprise" late calves that show up this time of year. Like many other ranchers, I will never turn down a new calf or a rain, anytime either one of them wants to happen.

When I gathered them last evening, they were scattered far and wide. I left back five cows that had new calves too young to travel, and brought home 91 cows plus three calves that were able to keep up. One cow is still unaccounted for, and hopefully she is hidden out with a new calf. This morning we corralled the cows, and sorted off 19 more that will calve soon. A vet was able to come on short notice. He proclaimed 52 head that will start calving in mid August, along with 17 opens to either try again for spring calving next year, or to use as a way of generating more immediate cash flow.

Even though we are not quite done, those of us who calve in May don't have to worry about a thing. The weather is always mild (even though a possible four inches of snow could fall tonight and tomorrow), and the cows just do it all themselves. Life is good. :)

I'm may calveing I just sent a cow north in the butchers truck and brought home about 120#s of bull calf now I have a bumb. I did have a cow lose a calf about 3 days ago so I'll see whats up with her. I'm 60% done 18 days after they were due.

Soapweed said:
Justin said:
Soapweed said:
98% done in 80 days. :wink:

so has the slow part began yet? :wink:

We thought we were about done, but plans changed. :)

Yesterday afternoon at 4 p.m., I took off on my trusty Polaris Ranger to check the "fall calvers," and possibly bring them home out of the hills to someday preg check them. There were 97 head in the bunch, and they have been surviving this past winter on left-over summer pasture, soapweeds, salt, mineral, water, and intermittent sunshine. A month ago they were a bit on the "green" side, but they have really come around since a little new grass has been appearing. Three and a half hours, 26 miles (on the Ranger), and a few thousand acres later, I had them in a nearby pasture.

When we preg check starting in early October, I always tell the official that if there is any doubt to consider them open. That way we can throw bulls back with the young cows in hopes of getting them pregnant to have calves the following fall. There are generally a few "surprise" late calves that show up this time of year. Like many other ranchers, I will never turn down a new calf or a rain, anytime either one of them wants to happen.

When I gathered them last evening, they were scattered far and wide. I left back five cows that had new calves too young to travel, and brought home 91 cows plus three calves that were able to keep up. One cow is still unaccounted for, and hopefully she is hidden out with a new calf. This morning we corralled the cows, and sorted off 19 more that will calve soon. A vet was able to come on short notice. He proclaimed 52 head that will start

calving in mid August, along with 17 opens to either try again for spring calving next year, or to use as a way of generating more immediate cash flow.

Even though we are not quite done, those of us who calve in May don't have to worry about a thing. The weather is always mild (even though a possible four inches of snow could fall tonight and tomorrow), and the cows just do it all themselves. Life is good. :)

I knew you would eventually see the light Soap! No wonder you have time to play golf, lazy May calver. :lol:

83 days Start to finish. Had one of the worst years we've had. 90% live calves on bred cows and only 80% vs exposed female on the spring calvers. Had a bull pinch a nerve in his back last year, must have effected his breeding before it was bad enough to be noticeable, as we had far more opens than normal and majority came out of his group. They did bring a good amount as fall bred cows this spring.

Latest posts