• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

-28 here this morning

Help Support Ranchers.net:

greg

Reaction score
636701dd.jpg

BBBBBRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way toooo cold for a red necked Texan,hope you got a fire going.................good luck

Its cold but we get way colder then that, ya the fires going,vehicals plugged in.carharts,gloves and hat out....thats Alta,not even feeding cattle yet thier still scrongin,will have to start this week though. Used to use a team of horses hayrack and square bales.... too old for that now round bales and heated bale truck for me now

We got a little warmup during the night- Started snowing and went from -17 to up to 0 when I started chores...Just got 2 bales rolled out and noticed I had a leaking hydraulic hose on the Besler- guess the cold finally got to it....Luckily the Besler boys have lots of parts in stock and we had a new hose on in about an hour - got 2 more bales rolled out, but now the old girls aren't eating much-- wind is creating about a -25 chill factor and they'd rather stay behind the windbreaks.....

Haymaker- while I was at the shop this morning they were waiting for some Texans to deliver some trailers-They'd called from Miles City and were not too impressed with our weather or roads...Wish I could have stayed around to hear their comments when they arrived :lol: ...

Yup,no tellin what they said,us red necks aint us'ta that kinda weather,I dont see how yall get around in some of that stuff,I know one thing if I was to be ranching that country,I would sure keep firewood and canned goods & maybe a lil whiskey :wink: ..........good luck
PS tell them damn canuckle heads ta close the door. :D

Oldtimer said:
We got a little warmup during the night- Started snowing and went from -17 to up to 0 when I started chores...Just got 2 bales rolled out and noticed I had a leaking hydraulic hose on the Besler- guess the cold finally got to it....Luckily the Besler boys have lots of parts in stock and we had a new hose on in about an hour - got 2 more bales rolled out, but now the old girls aren't eating much-- wind is creating about a -25 chill factor and they'd rather stay behind the windbreaks.....

Hey OT, what kinda cows you raisin' won't come out to eat when the chill factor is only -25? They not hair over down there? I don't even plug stuff in when it's that warm.....

Silver, are you Panhandle Phillips re-incarnation? That sounds about like something he would have said. Yep, everything is easy, nothin to it. lol.

We stayed at -5 all night and only warmed up to zero or so here today, but had a stiff breeze all day and it made it cold. Our cows are still grazing, so I hope that they went out some today. :wink: We cake 'em every other day, so as not to gather them unless needed. They graze better that way.[/quote]

Silver said:
Oldtimer said:

Hey OT, what kinda cows you raisin' won't come out to eat when the chill factor is only -25? They not hair over down there? I don't even plug stuff in when it's that warm.....

I'm starting to think now it was because they weren't that hungry to eat hay- still grazing, but with the continued cold and about 5 inches snow, I thought I'd give them a little to help them out- looked out later and they were back out on the riverbottom grazing- which is plumb fine with me....

Temp is dropping again tonite- -16 already- they're saying tonite could be the coldest of all with some areas in the minus 30"s- but still supposed to begin warming on Thursday--Pacific air moving in to push this cold east and south- supposed to warm up into the plus 30's by Friday...

Shoot...
28 below?
When we were in ND, that was still warm enough I'd go jogging in the mornings. With two layers of pants, wool socks, two turtlenecks, fleece jacket, windbreaker with hood up over my ear muffs and my good Goretex gloves.

It was more of a shuffle by that point... :D

(I greatly prefer it down here in the tropics...hehe)

Oldtimer said:
Silver said:
Oldtimer said:

I'm starting to think now it was because they weren't that hungry to eat hay- still grazing, but with the continued cold and about 5 inches snow, I thought I'd give them a little to help them out- looked out later and they were back out on the riverbottom grazing- which is plumb fine with me....

Temp is dropping again tonite- -16 already- they're saying tonite could be the coldest of all with some areas in the minus 30"s- but still supposed to begin warming on Thursday--Pacific air moving in to push this cold east and south- supposed to warm up into the plus 30's by Friday...

Ya, it's climbing here right now. Started the night at -28C, this morning its up to -18 already. Weatherman claims it's gonna climb above freezing the next few days, and that tears me up. Last thing we need. Oh well, we takes what we gets and deals with it 'cause.... uh..... "everything is easy!" lol

Silver said:
Oldtimer said:
Silver said:

Ya, it's climbing here right now. Started the night at -28C, this morning its up to -18 already. Weatherman claims it's gonna climb above freezing the next few days, and that tears me up. Last thing we need. Oh well, we takes what we gets and deals with it 'cause.... uh..... "everything is easy!" lol

Well it hasn't got here yet-- 23 Below this morning- still and clear....I think its supposed to get close to 0 today and then the heat wave hits tomorrow with a prediction of a low of -6 tonite and a high of +18 :D :) :)

weather people are saying 21 here tonite with frozen precipitation,plenty cold enough for me ...................good luck

Try -30 C, that's what it is here this morning. Cold, cold day to bring cows home. Usually trail them, but this year we're gonna spoil them. Trailer rides for all!

Shelly said:
Try -30 C, that's what it is here this morning. Cold, cold day to bring cows home. Usually trail them, but this year we're gonna spoil them. Trailer rides for all!

How far are you hauling em shelly,why are'nt you trailing them,weather?..........good luck

I wonder if ranchwife is froze up this morning-- I see not far from her at West Yellowstone they set a new record low with -45....Now thats getting a wee bit on the chilly side....

We didn't have much of a fun night last night. My dad's away workin' and my mom's stayin' in their fancy fifth wheel RV in our yard until their new house is finished.( We moved into their house two weeks ago) At 3am she phoned me - the trailer had run outa propane and she woke up with frost on her eyelashes and the dog crawlin under the sheets. Luckily we're good friends with the guy in town, and he met me at his tanks at about 3:15am to fill their 100lb bottle. We got it hooked up and the furnace going w/o a hitch, but it was some cold in there for a while.

On the good side, there wasn't much sense in goin back to bed by the time it was rigged up, so I had chores done, ice chopped for cows and into work half an hour early. :D Had time to clean up a few things 'fore the boss got in from his days off. :wink:

Latest posts