• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2nd Cutting 6/21/2021

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
Here is the 2nd cutting, 5 weeks from the first cutting.

IMG_5559.JPG

Using a topographical map, I figure this field at 18 acres and estimate about 100 tons. That figures out to 5.5 tons per acres.

IMG_5560.JPG

Last edited:
NICE! Where will this hat go?
Not sure but probably to a dairy. I haven't seen anybody around lately that knows anything. It could be headed to Japan. Rumor was it was spoken for at $250 a ton or current market price, whichever is higher, but I don't know for sure. Most of the info I got from ag students was incorrect. It may be stored somewhere covered and held till fall.

What a sweet meadow, I like how it lays.
That field has about half of my irrigated ground. Those trees in the picture are along the river. The other half of the irrigated is on the other side of the river. That ditch in the lower left corner of the picture supplies water to 5 of us on the north side of the river. The Banks ditch runs along the base of the hill. It irrigates something like 600-700 acres on the south side of the river. There is a line across the face of the hill. That is the old Oxman ditch. It hasn't run for about 100 years.
It is amazing all the ditches around here that were dug by hand 100-150 years ago. Mostly by Chinese labor. The Eldorado ditch which started over by Unity was 137 miles long. It was 5 feet wide in the bottom and 7 feet on top and 4 feet deep. It dropped 4 feet per mile. It was first surveyed in 1863 and completed in 1878. An amazing feat to be done by hand back in the day of no power equipment.

I'm also in complete awe of the old timers and their ability to run a ditch, most without even being surveyed!!!!! There is one out here called Charlie's ditch. I swear it runs uphill. But the water in it proves I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Really pretty place Webfoot. And the meadow hay looks fantastic

Latest posts