• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

2's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
June 2nd. Found 2nd cow killed by lightening in 2 days at 2 diiferent places. 2 orphans, one now has a surrogate mother. The other is an older calf from a cow we just bought that will survive on forage and pellets if a mother doesn't materialize.
Both had hair singed between the hind legs from bag to bung, no other marks. We have never lost an animal to lightening before that we know of.
Guess there's a 2nd time for anything but being born. (I have heard of people being brought back from the dead!) :?

On the bright side, it is also the 2nd day without significant rain. There is actually dust on the road in tonight.

When I was younger trying to get started I had two different sets of cattle get killed within 20 yds of each other (different years. It really is an awful thing walking up on one that's been struck much less several. Hopefully that's the end of your troubles.

Losing cattle to lightning is common around here. Most of the ones I have seen have all the hide and hair off their face. Look at it this way, the wolves and grizzlies can eat them for a couple days and not kill one :???:

A few years back I had a bunch of cattle piled in a fence corner and lightning struck and killed one. Makes a guy think about what could happen if it hit a fence when several were touching it.

Tough luck, but Mother Nature does what she pleases.

Doug Thorson said:
Losing cattle to lightning is common around here. Most of the ones I have seen have all the hide and hair off their face. Look at it this way, the wolves and grizzlies can eat them for a couple days and not kill one :???:

A few years back I had a bunch of cattle piled in a fence corner and lightning struck and killed one. Makes a guy think about what could happen if it hit a fence when several were touching it.

Tough luck, but Mother Nature does what she pleases.

She sure does.

Where possible, we bury the deads here as we find them. No sense in training any puppies or bears that beef is good, they usually find out on their own soon enough.

Several years ago I found 11 dead under a beach tree - - - took the backhoe and burried after the insurance adjuster left.

Sure sorry to hear of this gcreek.
We lost 5 cows and 4 calves that were struck by lightening
under a tree in SW Montana. And they
weren't pairs. :cry: We started smelling them and rode out looking
for them and found them under this tree down on the creek. It
was a mess. A stinky mess. And so disheartening.

Latest posts