• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

3rd Cutting Alfalfa 7/22/2021

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
Exactly a month from the second and it looks just as heavy if not heavier. I will try to get a photo tomorrow. The second cutting stack is still there. Not sure why, but I won't speculate or repeat rumors because I am always wrong hahaha.

I see no reason they shouldn't get at least 3 tons per acre on a 4th cutting. If this dryness keeps up and late frost is expected, they may get even a higher yield by cutting the middle of the month in September. That would give 6 weeks of growth.

Along the ditch
Ditch road C.JPG
Ditch road C.JPG

Last edited:
From 5 mile rural walk this morning

Attachments

• Old Hay 2020.JPG
    Old Hay 2020.JPG
    965.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Hayfield Road.JPG
    Hayfield Road.JPG
    951.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 3rd cutting A.JPG
    3rd cutting A.JPG
    937.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 3rd cutting B.JPG
    3rd cutting B.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • View of 2nd cut stack & 3rd cut.JPG
    View of 2nd cut stack & 3rd cut.JPG
    835.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Ditch Road Haystacks.JPG
    Ditch Road Haystacks.JPG
    907 KB · Views: 42
  • Ditch road a.JPG
    Ditch road a.JPG
    668 KB · Views: 43
  • Ditch Culvert.JPG
    Ditch Culvert.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • Pasture.JPG
    Pasture.JPG
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Pasture a.JPG
    Pasture a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
The cool mornings (low 60s) and moderate days (high 80s) call for raking to shorten drying time.
The shorter the drying time, the quicker they can get water back on the field, and the less chance of mold.
The blazing hot sun with over 100 degree days during the 2nd cutting, eliminated this step.
3rd cut rake 2.JPG

Haystacks on this morning's walk.

GR haystack.JPG
GR Haystack 2.JPG

Last edited:
I sell a product called "Hay Defender" that is a preservative and hay can be baled at higher moisture.
The result is awesome hay that is very green with lots of leaves. It isn't caustic on machinery and we have found
that the applicator works best on the swather. It would be perfect for those raising a lot of hay. I bet these
people in your area know about it, or something similar. Most of the others are caustic, though.

Latest posts