• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

4-9wt calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jedstivers

Reaction score
Who all here starts and runs calves?
That's all I want to do anymore is them. Really enjoy doing that.

Edit, I wasn't very clear.
I start them at 4 or 5, run them till 9 and send to OKC.

I found a local feed lot here that buys 300# up runs them to 900 and then sends them to OKC. They run 1500 head. The check came from an outfit in Texas

Friend here has gone to high 2's and 3's. Takes them to 9.
Likes them cause he starts them less often cause he's keeping longer.

We used to only run grass cattle. Bought unweaned calves all fall and then some all winter into the spring. Sold yearlings off the grass, even ran some strs to 2 yr olds. Cost too much now.
I started a cow herd but kept my calves over and ran on grass. This year feed is short so sold a bunch of the strs. Still have the light end of strs and all the hfrs. Wondering if I still kept to many. Grass cattle should be a good price here in the spring and most everybody sold all their calves this fall.

Mine are all on feed and hay.
I used to run them on wheat planted in cotton or corn fields but I cost so much to put up and take down wire and get the fields back in shape for the next crop I can feed corn/ddg or gluten cheaper than all that. I do sow wheat or ryegrass in the small places they are running on but it doesn't last long.

jedstivers said:
Who all here starts and runs calves?
That's all I want to do anymore is them. Really enjoy doing that.

Edit, I wasn't very clear.
I start them at 4 or 5, run them till 9 and send to OKC.
I do a little of that. I like to start little cattle.

We have all of our steer calves and 1/2 of the heifers yet. We are going to feed them until mid march. Corn silage,wet potatoes, DDG, ground hay,some ground corn and a mineral mix. My son is graduating high school this spring and I think a feedlot is the only thing that will keep him here as far as money goes as we can purchase all the feed, pasture and hay ground are to hard to find in my area.

Latest posts