• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

4-H Fair

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
Montana Cowgurl and her NILE Merit heifer:

MandyandOakley.jpg

She won Grand in Beef Showmanship, Grand in Round Robin, Grand in Breeding Heifer less than 2 years.

Montana Cowgurl and her steer:

Mandyssteer-reserveChampion.jpg

Reserve Champion steer, Grand Champion Beef Herdsman

Montana Cowgurl had to go out her last year in 4-H with a bang, she showed a pig (she's the one against the panel)
:roll:

Swineshowmanship.jpg

and got Grand Champion Swine Showmanship with him

Only got a red ribbon for her pig, but she kicked butt everywhere else.

ShowingHarry.jpg

congratulations to montana cowgurl :!: Riley goes to fair on the 10th and while he has a very nice pig, he is going to have to be really fast on his feet to do well in showmanship! Hope all is well with you guys

Great Job Montana Cowgirl!!!!! And great job to Hanta and sw for being such supportive parents. She's had a lot of great experiences thru the years....learned invaluable lessons that will carry her thru the rest of her life. That 'last fair' is always a happy time...but a sad at the same time. But she'll do just fine in anything she plans for the future. Go Get 'Em MC!!!!

Great job kids. I really like the way the youth are dressed and presenting themselves and their animals. Everything looks real clean and sharp great job for the parents and leaders.

We live in a totally differnt part of the US. Most county fairs have barns and indoor show rings. Older swine showman tell these kids if they use a cane to show in with the hookend facing down next to the hogs face. Some just use black plastic water pipe. However everyone wears somethnig differnt when the show and do not look as good as these kids do. Kids here do not comb their hair and some wear old T shirts to show.
At least you do not have to cope for the once in a while deal where a parent goes out and buys a show ring ready animal just before the fair starts.

Again great job everyone. I really enjoyed looking at these photos

ok the sky is falling, I am going to post on Ranchers. This fair was very special to us, not only MCG's maybe last one(she can still show next year) but our fairgrounds were destroyed by flooding. They are officially closed due to unsafe conditions, trees falling over, garbage everywhere and sink holes. The fences are all gone, only lost one old barn. So, as president of 4-H council we had to make some decisions. I talked to other counties to see if our kids could go to their fair with some success. Then the owners of Currant Creek Angus offered the use of their sale barn and their facilities to hold our fair there. With some modification of pens so they would hold hogs, we pulled it off. I have been involved with this fair for 18 years and this was the first time I had parents and leaders coming together to help make it happen. Kids were asking me what needed to be done and by golly we pulled it all off. I we cook the sale day lunch which is free to buyers, and I planned on 200 people. 350 showed up, we managed but pretty much ran out of everything.
As far as the kids wearing black and white, that is what 4-H used to be but now being PC if you do not provide the clothes you cannot make requirements of apparel as some claim they cannot afford it. I made my kids wear the black and white, others thought it great, especially parents, and it has grown over the years to now everyone is wearing it!! I love it. Another thing that we introduced, I bought a kids pig in another county 20 years ago and he brought me a hand written thank you and a plate of cookies. His mom had to drive him 50 miles but I thought it great. Guess what, my kids were then required to do the same thing. Now it is the common practice and kids will announce at the sale that they will bake a chocolate cake or an apple pie for the buyer.
If I did not have to put up with some 4-H/FFA moms, this ain't a bad gig. I now have one of my 4-H kids as my ag banker, my insurance salesman, my FSA officer and kids will come up to me and thank me for helping them years later.

I need to add one more thing. A first year beef showman was coming into the ring with a semi greasy ball cap on in beginner showmanship. Our judge grabbed it off of him and threw it on the ground and lectured him about appearance in the ring. Every kid there heard that and we saw no more ball caps for the rest of the day!! MSU does teach ethics and responsibility, the judge went to MSU also!!

Congratulations, Montana Cowgurl! And to her parents for raising a youngster who cares enough to put out the effort it takes to enter! The winning is the icing on the cake.

sw, that's pretty neat about the long-term effect of your stand for dressing up to show stock. Kudos to you.

Congratulations Montana Cowgurl!

Congratulations also sw, there should be far more of your style of leadership for our youth, regardless of activity. :tiphat:

Just finished our 4-H fair today. All the kids here wore black and white and cowboy hats or went bare headed. Older daughter had a horse, steer, dog and a pig. Younger daughter had a horse and a steer. Both did very well bringing home a bunch of ribbons. Both were in the round robin in the junior division. The dog was a tie-breaker in the round robin so here dog got to help determine the grand and reserve in the senior division. All the kids did very well and are a great group of kids.

It's wonderful when a community pulls together to accomplish a big job. Congratulations to all of you for your parts in having a very successful fair.

When I was in 4-H back in the Stone Age, we had a County Agent who could have been a drill sargent in another life. He was and is a great guy, but as a kid I was quite intimidated by his presence. The moment we got out of the vehicle at the fairgrounds, we were required to have on our white 4-H caps. Being an aspiring young cowpoke who wanted to wear a western hat, this took much of the fun out of the deal right off the bat. During the showing of our animals, a white shirt and nice blue jeans were compulsory along with the dorky white caps with no bill. The sun was always in a kid's eyes, and our only recourse was to squint. One of the happiest moments in my young life was a couple years later when someone invented green 4-H armbands. It then became legal to wear a western hat as long as the armband was in place on a white shirt. The discipline was good for us kids, but sometimes it seemed a bit harsh. :wink: :)

Cedarcreek said:
Just finished our 4-H fair today. All the kids here wore black and white and cowboy hats or went bare headed. Older daughter had a horse, steer, dog and a pig. Younger daughter had a horse and a steer. Both did very well bringing home a bunch of ribbons. Both were in the round robin in the junior division. The dog was a tie-breaker in the round robin so here dog got to help determine the grand and reserve in the senior division. All the kids did very well and are a great group of kids.

Please post pics! I love watching kids showing their animals with pride...you can tell the difference between the kids who want the money only (no pride) and those who love their animals and are proud of them. Cedarcreek, whereabouts are you in E Montana????

Latest posts