• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

4 team playoff finalized

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
WASHINGTON -- The long, slow march toward a major college football playoff is over. It has been approved.

Conference commissioners met with an oversight committee of university presidents and chancellors in Washington Tuesday to approve the four-team seeded playoff, consisting of two semifinal games in bowls and a national championship game that will be put up for bid.

Commissioners presented the plan for 30 minutes then took questions from the presidents, who then deliberated for about three hours before announcing their approval.

"A four-team playoff doesn't go to far," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger, chair of the presidential oversight committee. "It goes just the right amount."

The 14-year reign of the Bowl Championship Series -- and the persistent criticism that accompanied it â€" is finally near its send. The near deal will go for 12 years.

"This was timely, had to be done," former Big 12 acting commissioner Chuck Neinas said before Tuesday's meetings began. "(It was in) response to the public, response to the interest in college football. The BCS has done a great deal in helping promote college football, and there's a general feeling we need to do something better to determine a national champion."

The presidents also endorsed the concept of the semifinals rotating among six bowls.

"We do not know the rotation yet," said BCS executive director Bill Hancock. "That's still to be determined."

And they endorsed the idea of a selection committee for the playoff teams, which would end the combination of computer and human polls that have been lightening rods for criticism since the BCS began.

Current BCS contracts run through the 2013 season, so the playoff would go into effect after the 2014 season.

"I'm glad to see it, quite frankly," said former Georgia coach and athletic director Vince Dooley at the national athletic directors convention in Dallas. "It's something that needs to be done. The BCS has had, I think, too much controversy. You can always have some controversy, but this was a lot of controversy â€" Auburn being a classic example (finishing unbeaten and shut out of the national championship game in 2004). I think this will help to solve a lot of it, and also be productive economically to a lot of schools."

I just hope that Notre Lame does NOT get special treatment in the deal....

College football has become NOTHING BUT special treatment for a few schools. That's what the BCS was and this will be no different! A "special committee" to choose the final 4? What, actually calling it "People with agendas and conflicts of interest who will always pick big money schools they are being bought off by" wasn't slick enough for ya? :roll: Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Bama and every other team in the "power conferences" are all the problem. They want the money and the NCAA stands there with zero credibility or testicles and lets them screw every other smaller school (AND THE KIDS WHO PLAY THERE). It's semi-pro football and nothing else. Until everyone gets treated the same, it's all BS to me. :D Sorry for the rant! Life aint fair and neither are sports! :wink:

I think its great. There will always be controversy. I believe this puts more empahsis on the regular season, just because you lose one game dont mean you have no chance at national title. And with some of the schedules the where teams play a number of top ten teams this will still give a reason to play even after a loss. Fans might get the worst part, if your team makes it do you go to the playoff game or just book the championship game and hope they win.

now, instead of the #3 team being pissed, the #5 team will do all the complaining.... no one will ever develope a plan that makes everyone happy,. until they get the bowl money clear out of the system, it will be corrupt. teams like Boisie will never get the fair shake that teams with tradition will... Notre Lame and Texas and Nebraska, former powers, have not been relevant for ten years, will carry more weight than an up and coming team...that is BS........ teams like KSU, who schedule soft non con games, but play the SAME TEAMS that other teams play, will be deducted due to "schedule" even like last year, we beat Miami IN miami....all you hear was cupcake schedule..... typical media bias will not allow this system to flourish

jigs said:
now, instead of the #3 team being p****d, the #5 team will do all the complaining.... no one will ever develope a plan that makes everyone happy,. until they get the bowl money clear out of the system, it will be corrupt. teams like Boisie will never get the fair shake that teams with tradition will... Notre Lame and Texas and Nebraska, former powers, have not been relevant for ten years, will carry more weight than an up and coming team...that is BS........ teams like KSU, who schedule soft non con games, but play the SAME TEAMS that other teams play, will be deducted due to "schedule" even like last year, we beat Miami IN miami....all you hear was cupcake schedule..... typical media bias will not allow this system to flourish

Good Gawd! It won't go into effect 'til 2014 and Jiggsy is ALREADY whining! :wink: :roll:

better get your crying ready Loomix...NU will be passed over....no way the big ten will let the new kid get the bid over a perrennial team.....

2 of the 4 teams will probably be SEC teams.

Ya'll can fight over which other two are in the mix. :wink:

Funny jigs is complaining already about the new system and somthing about nebraska and others. And you mention kstate beat miami, WOW. Miami finished 6 and 6 last year.

eatbeef said:
Funny jigs is complaining already about the new system and somthing about nebraska and others. And you mention kstate beat miami, WOW. Miami finished 6 and 6 last year.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jiggsy would biatch if he was hung with a new rope. :roll:

Jiggsy, we beat Miami IN Miami, too. That was when they were good and we brought home a nice trophy that said "National Champion" on it.

that is history Sandy...what relevant victory does NU have???

point is, the teams that are deserving with out a "tradition" will be over looked by biased old farts who are unwilling to let go of the old guard..... Boisie, TCU, Hawaii, are a few that pop into mind in recent years.... sure they may not play in a power league, but give them a shot!! Boisie took it to OU, and in 2003 OU was all over ESPN as the "greatest team to EVER play the game" KSU tok it to them in a 35-7 romp in the title game... on the flip side, you have Texas, who has more money, better facilities, and produces very little with it... BUT they will be trumped up like the best option with two losses over a one loss mid major.

do I love KSU? yes ...do I hate Nubraskuh ? hell yes... but I can put my opinions aside and choose a fair 4 teams for the play off....
with this system, I am betting there may have not even been an SEC team in the title game last year.

Mike said:
I am betting there may have not even been an SEC team in the title game last year.

Earth to Jigs!!!! There were two SEC teams in the title game last year.

had the system been in place Okie light beats Bama, and Stanford beats LSU...... all fans with a full set of teeth (non - SEC fans) would love it..only ESPN and cousin lovers ( SEC Fans) would be pissed

jigs said:
Mike said:
I am betting there may have not even been an SEC team in the title game last year.

Earth to Jigs!!!! There were two SEC teams in the title game last year.

had the system been in place Okie light beats Bama, and Stanford beats LSU...... all fans with a full set of teeth (non - SEC fans) would love it..only ESPN and cousin lovers ( SEC Fans) would be p****d

That's very easy for you to say! Don't you wish you could back it up?

It might be time for the title to go North or West. It's been down here for what seems forever.

Too bad this wasn't in effect prior to 2014.

Not just because I'm an OSU fan, but as a fan of college football in general, I think we all lost out not seeing some great offense/defense match ups.

Latest posts