• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

40 Days and 40 Nights

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Well actually we have been dealing with our flooding problems longer than that...Started the last week of March- and had water over the roads- or tore up washed out roads since April 4th....And now the water is over the road again/still and the river is 4 1/2 feet above flood stage--its raining- and the Weather folks are predicting 1-3 inches of rain thru Tuesday....
Are we having fun yet? :???:

The weather site here on ranchers says we are in a flood warning from this evening until Tuesday night. I think it was only one little squall here today and the clouds seem to have lifted. Sure green out there. :D

Oldtimer said:
Well actually we have been dealing with our flooding problems longer than that...Started the last week of March- and had water over the roads- or tore up washed out roads since April 4th....And now the water is over the road again/still and the river is 4 1/2 feet above flood stage--its raining- and the Weather folks are predicting 1-3 inches of rain thru Tuesday....
Are we having fun yet? :???:

At one time I could count 40 days and 40 nights....between rains....now it's closer to 60........

Having fun? actually...with very little to do I'm learning....

We picked up .35" between 8PM last night and 6AM this morning--but they still keep saying the heavy stuff will be today and tonight as the storm moves into southern SK and northwest ND...

Right now with the flooding and few crops in- even a little is too much....

Flooding has taken the Weather Service radar at Glasgow out of commission...

US National Weather Service Glasgow Montana
Major fiber optic line east of Hardin is flooded, causing a significant communication outage at NWS Glasgow. Please put any rainfall reports and your location on our Facebook page. We are monitoring it... via Verizon cards on laptops. Local calls are getting in to us, but long distance ones are not working. We are still getting forecasts and flood products out through NWS Billings and Great Falls.

You folks are flooded, folks in the mid, southern plains droughted, in the midwest others have had everything they owned, and sometimes members of their family and friends taken away in the blink of an eye - the eye of a tornado. I guess all we can do is hang on and trust God. Maybe that is what it is all about.

You're not alone OT. Raining again here today. Flyers say the ice isn't even off the creeks in the mountains. Our snow flush is pretty well gone but the folks on Anahim and Nimpo Lakes and the Dean River are flooded out now with a lot of snow water to hit them yet. We have buds coming on the brush but usually have full leaf by June 1, oh well, it will be something else next year.
As Shortgrass said, the Lord has a reason. Trust in Him.

OT---WHEN I LEFT THE MADISON VALLEY SATURDAY MORNING (DESTINATION, DEER LODGE FOR HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION), WE HAD APPROXIMATELY 4" HEAVY, WET SNOW ON THE GROUND...SINCE THEN, IT HAS RAINED STEADY....MORE WATER HEADED YOUR WAY, I AM AFRAID!!! PUT THE PONTOONS ON THE HOUSE AND CALL US WHEN YOU FIND LAND!!! :wink: SENDING PRAYERS!!

We're up to 1.25" now at 9PM... Still raining and predicted to do so all night... With the ground so saturated already- everything is standing water...River rose several inches during the day- and will probably really rise tomorrow here when Willow Creek water hits it....

Fort Peck Lake raised 2 feet last week (thats a lotta water) and the Corps is going to start dumping big time to make room for the snow melt coming from Kris's way....

This is not going to help all the Missouri flooding they are already having in the Dakotas....

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GLASGOW MT 451 PM MDT MON MAY 30 2011 ...

FLOODING POSSIBLE ON THE MISSOURI RIVER NEXT WEEK...

THE ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE RELEASES THIS WEEK FROM FORT PECK RESERVOIR. THE RELEASES WILL INCREASE TO 50000 CFS BY JUNE 6. THE MISSOURI RIVER EAST OF FORT PECK WILL BEGIN TO RISE SIGNIFICANTLY THIS WEEK.

AT WOLF POINT...THE MISSOURI RIVER IS FORECASTED TO RISE FROM THE CURRENT LEVEL OF 7.5 FEET ON MAY 30 TO BETWEEN 11 AND 12 FEET ON JUNE 4 OR 5 AND REACH THE FLOOD STAGE OF 13 FEET AROUND JUNE 6 OR 7. A PEAK WATER LEVEL OF 14 TO 15 FEET IS POSSIBLE SOMETIME NEXT WEEK DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH ADDITIONAL WATER FLOW FROM THE MILK RIVER CONTRIBUTES TO THE MISSOURI RIVER FLOW AT WOLF POINT.

AT CULBERTSON...THE MISSOURI RIVER IS FORECASTED TO RISE FROM THE CURRENT LEVEL OF 9.2 FEET ON MAY 30 TO NEAR 13 FEET ON JUNE 4 OR 5. A PEAK WATER LEVEL BETWEEN 16 AND 17 FEET IS POSSIBLE SOMETIME NEXT WEEK. FLOOD STAGE AT CULBERTSON IS 19 FEET. THE WATER LEVEL IS DEPENDENT ON HOW MUCH WATER TRIBUTARIES TO THE MISSOURI RIVER INCLUDING THE MILK RIVER ...RED WATER RIVER... POPLAR RIVER AND BIG MUDDY CREEK CONTRIBUTE TO THE MISSOURI RIVER FLOW AT CULBERTSON.

LOWLAND FLOODING IS LIKELY NEAR THE MISSOURI RIVER WITH THE UPCOMING HIGH WATER. PERSONS LIVING ALONG THE MISSOURI RIVER SHOULD START PREPARING TO PROTECT PROPERTY THAT MAY FLOOD AND TO MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND.

1/8" is still our big rain of the spring. You folks could send some over sometime before haying and you'd have my thanks.

Silver said:
1/8" is still our big rain of the spring. You folks could send some over sometime before haying and you'd have my thanks.

Trade ya. Straight up, just leave some groceries in the cupboard and we'll do the same.

It's wet, wet wet out there tonight. :shock:

I just came in from putting the dogs in the tack room and checked on a couple hfrs. I had put the last few in the corral to calve and let the little calving pasture have a rest. Well wouldn't you know 2 calves born in the mud today that got a ride to the barn and I just put the next 2 hfrs in the barn "Just in case". :D

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GLASGOW MT 451 PM MDT MON MAY 30 2011 ...

FLOODING POSSIBLE ON THE MISSOURI RIVER NEXT WEEK...

THE ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE RELEASES THIS WEEK FROM FORT PECK RESERVOIR. THE RELEASES WILL INCREASE TO 50000 CFS BY JUNE 6. THE MISSOURI RIVER EAST OF FORT PECK WILL BEGIN TO RISE SIGNIFICANTLY THIS WEEK.

50,000 CFS!! Wow that is a lot of water if my calculations are accurate, 375,000 gallon/sec, or enough to flood close to 70 acres 1 foot deep every minute, or over 4000 acres 1 foot deep every hour. We were out to the spillway on Fort Peck a day or so ago and it is full to the top of the gates on the spillway so they don't have any other option but to dump the water downstream, on top of that the Milk is back up flooding still. 70 miles east of Glasgow where we farm and ranch we have had all time record snowfall this winter by 1.5 times the old record and now have had 9 inches of rain in May and June is starting out wet. Hay meadows flooded so many times the Alfalfa is about all done and virtually no dryland crops in my area have gotten seeded! And probably won't get put in the ground this year. But hopefully everyone hangs in there because we know before long we will be back in a drought!!

Latest posts