• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

4020 ?- for Soapweed or others.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
Soapweed, Have you ever had trouble with hydraulic system "chatter" on your 4020's?
I'm having trouble with mine and can't seem to pinpoint the problem. It's driving me crazy(short trip!). :lol:
Anybody have any idea's??

We only use the 4020 hydraulic systems to raise and lower the mower bars on one tractor, and to raise and lower the bale bed and loading arm with the other. In other words, the hydraulics aren't being worked full time. Seems like there are always drips and leaks, but even the Space Shuttles suffer those problems.

When Dad first bought one of these 4020's new, in 1968, a few years later he used it to rake with a Vermeer hydraulic-driven rake. At that time, with the hydraulics in constant use, it seems like it would take a new hydraulic motor about once per year. At the time, $200 seemed to cover the expense. That much money probably wouldn't anywhere near be enough to solve the problem today.

Don't know what to tell you, TimH, except that the hydraulics might be a weak spot on 4020's. They are good old tractors otherwise.

My guess would be that you have a small leak somewhere inside the HYd. system. I have a 4020 that has a whistling sound after the Hydraulic oil gets warmed up. Had a Mecanic out once, he couldn't find it. I don't use that tractor much anymore as it has a noise in the engine that I don't like. Hasn't that many hours on it since an overhaul so don't think it is to serious but I am afraid to send it to the shop to find out, might cost more than the tractor is worth. hydraulic systems are wonderful, but leaks seem to go along with them. As for I hydraulic system being their weak spot, I don't know. Always seemed to me that John Deere was always a little ahead of the others there.

My hydraulic system gets a lot of use. It runs the loader plus the FWA is hydraulic. I put a new main pump in it about 3 yrs ago and if I remember right it cost about $2200.00!! :shock:
We are rained out today so I can spend they day in the shop ckecking it out. I just hope that pump isn't gone again. :shock: :cry: :cry:

Ya Know I sat here readin about all them lil Noises yer talkin bout...pops, squeaks, bangs, hums, whistlin........all these years I been made fun of when somethin makes a weird noise..I come in doin sound affects so hubby knows what the noise is....I bet ya'll can make them sound affects too!!!!

Was using a 4020 yesterday to move some round bales with a 3pl spike
the ground is a bit wet after 8" of soaking rain so this tractor made a sort of a squishy,gurgling sound as the front wheels slowly sank into the ground as it sat idling......now it makes very little noise at all..just sits there ..................can't complain though its still better than dust.

Tully :?

Well not being a dink but have you changed all your filters-even that long skinny one just under the cab. Anytime I had mine do that it was usually a dirty filter or just low on oil.

Check the plastic couplers between the engine and the pump. . .there is a clamp over two plastic bushings. . .over time the bushings get hard and wear. . . the result will be quite a lot of "chatter" from the front of the engine compartment. . .when replacing with new bushings after about 20 hours of use retighten the clamp. . .if the rest of your hydralic system is working . . .i would look here first.

Northern Rancher- "Well not being a dink but have you changed all your filters-even that long skinny one just under the cab. Anytime I had mine do that it was usually a dirty filter or just low on oil."

Ha ha ha! That would be better than being a turd!!! :lol:

I "get" you completely. Sometimes people tend to overlook the simple ,small stuff and suspect the worst right away. Myself included. :oops:

I've changed the filter and cleaned the transmission pump intake screen. Lotsa' oil in it.
It acts just like the main pump is starving,though. I suspect there is something wrong with the transmission pump. I've also checked the input shaft coupler up front and it is OK(Thanks Iowa).

I have this trouble on a similar era John Deere but it is a 2020 and not the 4020. However, the hydraulics work similar.
The hydraulics for the 3-point hitch are leaking inside the tractor and it makes the hitch "hunt." I mean it has trouble staying in one place. There must be quite a lot of flow involved with keeping a leaking hitch in place thus causing chatter when using the loader. If you operate the loader slowly, it works much better. This winter the top will come off the transition the lift cylinders will be rebuilt. I need to put a lot more hours on that 1968 model 2020 raking and fluffing hay.

Is the "volume" related to engine RPM'S; Those 20 (origional) series tractors sorta were like that. If you haven't had a problem with the hydraulic functions, and the oil and filters are O.K.; install a louid radio, and be glad the "SOB' ain't electonic!!!

Seriously!! Buy some good ear protection and wind her up! I didn't know "Big John" ever built a 20 series without HUGE pump noise. I've only driven about 26 loader tractor's of that vintage, and they all "clatter, or chatter". 2520's thru 4620's, if they don't have more hydraulic noise than engine noise, better check the hydraulic oil! Or the muffler.

The best thing about that 2020 is that the only thing you need electricty for is to start the it. And if you park it on a hill you don't even need that.
My 6300 on the other hand won't do anything without electricty. I supose i will have to trade it when it starts to act up.

I sure would like to get my hands on another 4020 one day, we used to have a couple and they are fantastic old work horses. One of ours was a powershift, really nice transmission. Only thing I did cuss was the electrical system (as little as there was of it). The way I remember it, it was positive ground. And electricity confuses me enough when it's negative ground. :?
The price on 4020's now is about what they were practically brand new, maybe more. Around here $14,000 is about what it would take to get one thats half decent, no loader.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I think I might have it whipped!!
It was a problem with oil bypassing the solenoid valves which control the front wheel assist.This bypass was eating up all the oil flow from the pump.
I just disconnected the FWA and capped the lines. I won't need the front wheels until next winter so I'll probably end up fixing it when it is 20 below!!! :lol:

Silver, 4020's are cheaper here. I paid 15g's for mine about 4 years ago and that was with a 158 loader on it plus it is a factory FWA.I see a lot of them advertised for between $8500 to about $11000. :) Your 4020 was probably a 24 volt system and not negative ground.They went to 12 volt in '67 or 68(I think). :)

I don't know what the shipping would be from central Indiana but I bought a really prime 4020 diesel for $6,500 US and could probably find a couple more if yhr shipping did not eat up the differance. I would be glad to scout around and see what is available if there was interest

George said:
I don't know what the shipping would be from central Indiana but I bought a really prime 4020 diesel for $6,500 US and could probably find a couple more if yhr shipping did not eat up the differance. I would be glad to scout around and see what is available if there was interest

George you need a holiday . You could drive it up to Silver,I bet he would buy you a bus ticket home. :wink:

Latest posts