• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

54 years of Math

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
54 Years of Math

Fifty-Four Years of Math 1957 - 2011 In America

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In The 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In The 1960s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In The 1970s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In The 1980s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20...
5. Teaching Math In The 1990s
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers and, if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching Math In The 2000s
If you have special needs or just feel you need assistance because of race, color, religion, sex, age, childhood memories, criminal background, then don't answer and the correct answer will be provided for you. There are no wrong answers.

7. Teaching Math In 2011
Un hachero vende una carrtada de Madera para 100 pesos. El costo de la producciones es 80 pesos. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

an old fellow once told me that all anyone needs to know is how to add and subtract, add the money coming in and subtract the money going out. everything else is immaterial. to bad the politicians couldn't figure this out

Somewhere along the teaching profession "dumbing down" got out of whack.
I know while I was teaching I would start with what I wanted the students to learn then broke it down to the simplest level and gradually got back up to the concept bring the students along. YES there were student who needed another road to get the place BUT that was MY JOB to find it and lead them. It meant ALOT of work at home and extra effort during class to keep all involved. The pay off was the epiphany moment of each child.
Todays teacher have to "teach the test" the "programs" the school systems use takes all teaching out and turns teachers into readers.
Anyone who has any sense can tell if a teacher is teaching students to learn or the test.
When we get back to teaching students to learn they will also learn what they need to pass each standard.

I will get off my soapbox

Today I got 10 bags of supplement, the cost was 13.95 per back. By the time he found the calculator and figured the bill I had the check wrote. :???:

Rambo said:
Today I got 10 bags of supplement, the cost was 13.95 per back. By the time he found the calculator and figured the bill I had the check wrote. :???:

Oh boy, are they not teaching English grammar either? :oops: :shock:

Latest posts