• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

6.9 Ford

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Does anyone know anythign about these trucks? I havent heard a whole lot really, I'm not too sure if its a good or a bad thing. Any good experiences? any bad?

6.9s were made from 83 thru 88 or 89. Then they were up dated to the 7.3. Both motors were Navistar engines. Buy your parts from the Navistar or IH truck dealer. Good engines, but not much power compared to what is available now days. Both of the ones I had would get close to 20 MPG in 1 ton 4X4, but they were both "Nickized"

LazyWP said:
6.9s were made from 83 thru 88 or 89. Then they were up dated to the 7.3. Both motors were Navistar engines. Buy your parts from the Navistar or IH truck dealer. Good engines, but not much power compared to what is available now days. Both of the ones I had would get close to 20 MPG in 1 ton 4X4, but they were both "Nickized"

And what might "Nickized" mean? Was the drivetrain good? How did they hold up?

Built til 87. Then they did the odd ball diesels til 94 when the 7.3 came out.
Had an ATIS turbo system around 93 1/2.

Hubby has a 6.9 that he bought new back 85 has over 100000 miles on it and it still fires up fine in winter.

The fast start glowplug system had trouble due to the connector that plugged into the controller, hubby solved that problem by coating the connector with silicone dialect compound.

He got that diesel to fire up when he was in college up at Havre, MT and the temp was 30 below zero and it was only plugged in for an hour. As long as they were regularly serviced they are good trucks.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Built til 87. Then they did the odd ball diesels til 94 when the 7.3 came out.
Had an ATIS turbo system around 93 1/2.

Hubby has a 6.9 that he bought new back 85 has over 100000 miles on it and it still fires up fine in winter.

The fast start glowplug system had trouble due to the connector that plugged into the controller, hubby solved that problem by coating the connector with silicone dialect compound.

He got that diesel to fire up when he was in college up at Havre, MT and the temp was 30 below zero and it was only plugged in for an hour. As long as they were regularly serviced they are good trucks.

7.3 were out by at least '90---on 94 and a 'half' they went to direct injection, called it 'powerstroke'

pre powerstroke, inj and glow plugs were easy to get to---and whole set of inj cost maybe $100---powerstrokes don't really have an inj pump, got hi pressure oil pump kinda hydraullicallly fires each inj===which are under valve covers, which very cleverly have glow plug wires and inj wiring plugged into both sides of valve cover gaskets---actually kinda fun to tinker on, if you are in a patient mood. the old 6.9 weren't a powerhouse, but tough and ran a jillion miles.

on the 6.9, early 7.3 it seems if one glow plug went bad, it made the others burn out quiker---easy to check, if they got continuity, they work---check power to them as well.

WARNING---if you ever pull inj on powerstroke, take out the glow plugs---oil and diesel will run into cylinder, you can wreck something if it don't got someplace to go when you turn it over

We have an 86 with the 6.9 in it that has 590k on it. Never had a wrench on the engine. It has lost a lot of power in the last 50k or so though.

Angus Cattle Shower said:
LazyWP said:

And what might "Nickized" mean? Was the drivetrain good? How did they hold up?

First thing that came off was the muffler. On my 91, which was the 7.3 no Turbo, or non Power Stroke, I really bumped the pump up. PM me and I will explain how. On the 83, I turned the pump up some, but mainly just drove it like I stole it. The 91 had well over 400,000 miles on it, the 83s odometer was broke when I got it, but last I heard it was still going strong.
Don't baby them, they don't like it!!!!!

My brother-in-law has a dandy 84 model that he's had to weld the cab back together, and install a flatbed, but that 6.9 has still got the nuts...

Latest posts