• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

6 More Weeks of Winter

Help Support Ranchers.net:

EmptyPockets

Reaction score
Just took a photo of "Prairie Dog Paul" Looks like at least 6 more weeks of winter. Of course Sometimes our winters are easier then the springs:wink:

DSC02384.jpg
[/img] :wink:

Prairie Dog Paul would have to use a pick to do any digging around here for the next 6 weeks :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK,I'm giggling....Just how long did you sit waiting for that little stinker to pop up :D

Some of our snow drifts are six feet high,poor little praire dog that decieded to come up through one of those drifts.

Now if you'd taken the pic from the other side you'd not have had a shadow!!!

I like our groundhogs better then yours :p

Ontario's Wiarton Willie, Nova Scotia's Shubenacadie Sam and Alberta's Balzac Billy -- who is actually a stuffed gopher, not a live groundhog -- all failed to see their shadows after being roused by their handlers this morning, paving the way for an early spring.

Sam was the first to weigh in, waddling into the rain at the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park, an hour north of Halifax, on Saturday morning at sunrise.

Willie emerged with his handlers shortly after 8 a.m. ET, and after being held up to face fans' flashbulbs, indicated that he agreed with Sam on the winter issue.

"Dignitaries, me lads and ladies," town crier Bruce Kruger told those gathered in the Bruce Peninsula town: "Get your shorts and T-shirts too, Wiarton Willie's annual task is through. Now the town crier proudly rings, Willie predicts it's an early spring."

Balzac Billy -- located north of Calgary, where gophers are plentiful -- followed afterwards.

However, it seems the country's revered rodents did not confer with their counterpart across the border before making their predictions, as Pennsylvania's Punxsutawney Phil indicated to thousands gathered at Gobbler's Knob to hunker down for six more weeks of chilly temperatures.

If you used a different tool to shoot the gopher other than a camera then it would never see its shadow. :)

These little buggars have been out winter this year except for a couple of the really cold days when we never got above zero. We haven't had much snow so far maybe a couple inches total and then we get warm snaps and it melts off.

I usually have the Chuck wagon (cake pickup) and take a shot when I go by the towns. I had the tractor today and was putting a couple bales out for the bulls when I snapped this shot. He let me drive around to the other side so I could get the shadow shot. They obviously can tell the difference between the tractor and pickup. :wink:

I guess it's time to start carrying the gun in the tractor! :roll: :wink:

They are pretty cute, and since we don't have very many of them and don't see them until March or April, they are a happy sign of spring. We have the big mountain gophers, which come out later than the Richardsons ground squirrel. Not too many of the Richardson, but some thirteen striped gophers. All make good target practice.

Latest posts