• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

6" of snow and still coming down!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ranchwife

Reaction score
good morning, all!! good thing we got the cows preg-checked yesterday and the babies shipped while the weather was half-way agreeable!! It started snowing early last evening and has been coming down heavier since then! Took the kids to school this morning and the roads were flat out UGLY (does not help that we are still over loaded with outta state hunters who have NO idea how to drive in this white stuff :roll: )!! Weather forecast says temps to be down into the low teens tonight and snow to taper off by tomorrow!! Welcome home, Old Man Winter!! :wink:

He just got here about 8:30, started with rain, went to dollar sized flakes, now it is a horizontal white out. Only about 2-3 inches deep, very heavy wet stuff that is trying to melt as fast as it is coming down. Guess it is a good day to stay in the house and play with the babies mother :wink:

Went for a load of hay this morning. Got 25 miles up the road and hit the snow. I made it to the fieild and loaded, Barely. The fellow i am buying the hay from showed up in his company truck and offered his own 4x4 for me to get home. I make it down the gravel to a narrow hiway with packed snow and get back to the main road which in the mean time has cleared off and had clear sailing home. Now I have to go back for my truck when the other road melts off.
Some areas to the north East are to get a foot of snow but it is to be quite warm here on thursday.

We just got a dusting which melted as fast as it came down- Cold west wind blowing about 40 mph out of the west.....Just out checking the calves and didn't have to go far- most just laying around the windbreaks...

This hot and cold sure hasn't been good for weaning heifers-- Last weeks snow left me doctoring some this week....

you can keep that stuff up there. We don't need snow for a while yet. Cows aren't even out on stalks yet.

Had the following e-mailed to me from a friend telling me of the drastic situation you northern guys are in.......

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here in the Northern Plains we just recovered
from a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather
Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic
blizzard of up to 24" inches of snow and winds to 50
MPH that broke trees in half, stranded hundreds of
motorists in lethal snow banks, closed all roads,
isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's
of thousands.

George Bush did not come....

FEMA staged nothing....

No one howled for the government...

No one even uttered an expletive on TV...

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.....

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House....

No news anchors moved in.

We just melted snow for water, sent out caravans
to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars, fired up
wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Aladdin
lamps and put on an extra layer of clothes.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale
has never fallen this early...we know it can happen
and how to deal with it ourselves.

Everybody is fine.

I got that email too, cute and true :!: :p Today was beautiful, 40's and clear blue sky. Had and inch of rain in the last week :D :D We're weaning the hiefers on thurs and hauling the rest and cull cows to the sale that day too. The corral could dry out a tad bit before then :?

I feel for you guys in 24 " of snow. Hard to believe.

Mr. nr was raking and seeding grass today bare from the waist up which looked sort of strange for Nov. even in our area, but it has been unusually warm.

I kinda miss the snow. I know that probably sounds rediculous to everyone up north. But I would trade a blizzard for a hurricane anyday. It wasnt pretty coming home 2 and a half weeks ago to no roof on my barn and all of my fences down. And then we got about 10" of rain on the inside of our house. I am really from Northern Idaho and if Hubby would allow would be back there now. I miss fireplaces and cold weather food as crazy as that sounds :wink:

Copper1272 said:
I kinda miss the snow. I know that probably sounds rediculous to everyone up north. But I would trade a blizzard for a hurricane anyday. It wasnt pretty coming home 2 and a half weeks ago to no roof on my barn and all of my fences down. And then we got about 10" of rain on the inside of our house. I am really from Northern Idaho and if Hubby would allow would be back there now. I miss fireplaces and cold weather food as crazy as that sounds :wink:

So sorry to hear about all of your home destruction, Copper1272. It must be overwhelming. Have you been able to move back in and start rebuilding?

Yes, we moved back in a couple of days after the storm. We just got our electricity back about 4 days ago. Thank goodness I was running a rut in our front pasture toteing water around for our horses from the pond. It makes you appreciate modern convieniences (spelling) like toilets :!: We have to replace the entire barn. Our house roof is pretty shot so it will have to be replaced. Our horses were plantin their butts in the ground even after the storm everytime the wind puffed. I dont think next year we will be staying around for any hurricanes headed toward us, we had four come over us last year and this big one this year. I think even my husband's thinking the cold is looking better than the storm's :)

Oh and we didn't see these things either:

George Bush did not come....

FEMA staged nothing....

No one howled for the government...

No one even uttered an expletive on TV...

Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.....

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House....

No news anchors moved in.

But you can bet the areas that had no damage did :wink:

We live in a small town so we figured it out for ourselves too......

pond + bucket = running water

Cooler + ice = refrigerator

barbque grill + hamburger = gourmet dinner :lol:

(didnt mean to highjack the thread with this hurricane bussines sorry)

Copper..missin winter doesn't sound crazy to me don't like winter when its here but would miss the snow if it didn't come 8) I do know I couldn't drive my sleigh in the Florida sand 8)

When I was in college we used to drive over the pass from Post falls, Id over to Montana to the $50,0000 silver saloon. It probably isnt called that anymore but we would drive over there in the middle of winter to get chili, provided the pass was open. I knew I was there when I would get out of the truck and breath in and my lungs felt like they froze instantly. My southern friends just laugh at me when I tell them that I wish it was chili weather. They dont get it of course. But I miss that feeling. Hope ya'll get a break from the snow soon though. Its kind of like candy a little is really good but too much can really give you a stomache ache. You can send some of it this way if ya want to. We still have the a/c running down here.

weather forecast is calling for 30% chance of snow today, increasing to 80% tomorrow...the nights are already down into the single digits....brrrr! hope all of you are bundling up and staying warm and healthy!!! take care! :D

Latest posts