• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

6 p.m. USDA WEBCAST NOW!!!! UPDATE ON COW

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Murgen

Reaction score
Hope it's not Haymaker's cow, dug up from Buzzard Hollow, wasn't that the cow with "hobbles" Haymaker?

reader (the Second) said:
12 years old
3D / 4D pet food plant
plant was in Waco
they won't say where the cow was from
they are investigating offspring / cohorts
FDA is investigating feed records

cow was incinerated
cow was born and raised on the ranch

So, I would assume that if there are no other cohorts that have BSE when checked that then the USDA might look at other factors other than feed, etc. right?

Maybe environmental?

Dang, this might just be the test case we have all been looking for, the sporatic case!

Oldtimer said:
12 years old
3D / 4D pet food plant
plant was in Waco

cow was incinerated

I tried to listen but there was to many listening and it asked to try again later. Which is right was she made into pet food at the Waco plant or was she incinerated. In the US that makes a big difference as you still have the loophole of feeding condemned pet food back to your cattle. In the rules it does say if the test result comes back negitive the carcass can be processed. After seven months I doubt you will find any pet food left to recall.

This isn't a nice thought, but how many on welfare in the US injest pet food as a source of cheap grocercies? Canned mostly I would think!

Must be some stats somewhere. Reader, do you know?

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
12 years old
3D / 4D pet food plant
plant was in Waco

cow was incinerated

I tried to listen but there was to many listening and it asked to try again later. Which is right was she made into pet food at the Waco plant or was she incinerated. In the US that makes a big difference as you still have the loophole of feeding condemned pet food back to your cattle. In the rules it does say if the test result comes back negitive the carcass can be processed. After seven months I doubt you will find any pet food left to recall.

The cow in question and the other 4 (?) in the trailer load were all incinerated is what I understood.....

PORKER

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:43 pm Post subject: Rumor MILL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rumor has it from TX. is the cow is from south of Waco.Probable that she didn't have a tag but should have had a HOT BRAND for an Premises ID.

HEY PORKER ,Question?????HOW Did YOU KNOW On Monday the Location of the COW?????????????????????????????

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
cow was incinerated

The cow in question and the other 4 (?) in the trailer load were all incinerated is what I understood.....

Why would they incinerate 5 cows if the test came back inconclusive and then negitive on one. Did they have a reason to suspect the others had a problem too. This makes no sense to me when by their own rules if an animal is targeted for testing the the test comes back negitive the carcass can be released for processing. Why incinerate 5 cattle for no reason?

Statement by USDA Chief Veterinarian John Clifford Regarding the Epidemiological Investigation Into the Recently Confirmed BSE Case

June 29, 2005

"DNA test results have confirmed that we have identified the source herd of the animal determined last week to be positive for BSE. Based on information we have received from the owner, the cow was born and raised in a herd in Texas and was approximately 12 years old. It was sent to a 3D/4D pet food plant in Texas and was selected for sampling on arrival.

"The source herd is now under a hold order as we identify animals of interest within the herd. Consistent with OIE guidelines, animals of interest would include any other animals that were born the same year as this animal, as well as any born the year before and the year after. If the age of the animal cannot be pinpointed, then we may expand our inquiry to include all animals in this herd before the feed ban went into place in 1997. We are also interested in any of this animal's offspring that were born within the last 2 years.

"Experience worldwide has shown us that it is highly unusual to find BSE in more than one animal in a herd or in an affected animal's offspring. Nevertheless, all animals of interest will be tested for BSE.

"We are also working with the Food and Drug Administration in an effort to determine the feed history in this herd. Given the animal's age, we believe it was most likely infected by consuming feed prior to the implementation of the ruminant-to-ruminant feed ban in 1997.

"I emphasize that this animal did not enter the human food chain. The plant at which this animal was sampled is a 3D/4D pet food plant that does not handle animals for human consumption and, in this case, did not use the animal in the production of pet food. The animal remains were incinerated.

"The testing and traceback efforts may yield further information as to how this animal became infected. The safety of our food supply is not in question. I am very confident that our interlocking safeguards are effective, and this case is evidence of that. USDA bans non-ambulatory cattle from the food supply. USDA bans animal parts that could carry BSE from the food supply. USDA bans slaughter techniques that could introduce BSE into the food supply. These safeguards ensure that American beef is among the safest in the world."

#
USDA News
[email protected].

The source herd is now under a hold order as we identify animals of interest within the herd. Consistent with OIE guidelines, animals of interest would include any other animals that were born the same year as this animal, as well as any born the year before and the year after. If the age of the animal cannot be pinpointed, then we may expand our inquiry to include all animals in this herd before the feed ban went into place in 1997. We are also interested in any of this animal's offspring that were born within the last 2 years

RCALF should be demanding that they test all of them, just to check to see that the feed ban was functioning as expected. If you believe the USDA was not doing their jobs, don't you worry that they were not enforcing the feed ban?

Well I think I will file this press release away with the one that said the Washington Cow was a downer and she was therefore kept out of the food chain. In a couple of months we will see if a plant employee steps forward and tells us that the rules say if the animals test results are negitive we could and did process her into pet food. :wink: That is the problem with credibility if you abuse it when you need it is not there.

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

Why would they incinerate 5 cows if the test came back inconclusive and then negitive on one. Did they have a reason to suspect the others had a problem too. This makes no sense to me when by their own rules if an animal is targeted for testing the the test comes back negitive the carcass can be released for processing. Why incinerate 5 cattle for no reason?

{Tam, why not ask officials why the cow(s) were incinerated before jumping to conclusions? It seems obvious to me that if they have an incinerator, they must use it more often than when there is a "suspect BSE case". This is the stuff that makes rumors which, in my humble opinion do more harm to the cattle/beef industry than the worst-case scenario will.

MRJ}

MRJ, so you are against the Rumour mill right? Verified facts are what you are looking for? Look no further than RCALF, they have all the truths! Even way back when they were calling Canadian meat tainted. Is the US supply now "tainted" I think in conjunction with lying and deception, it is on the world stage!

And unsafe on the RCALF stage! But that's what it is , a drama, a production of fiction.

As US producers you should now stand up for the truth, expose RCALF for what they are!

Tell the workd that North American beef is safe.

MRJ said:
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:

{Tam, why not ask officials why the cow(s) were incinerated before jumping to conclusions? It seems obvious to me that if they have an incinerator, they must use it more often than when there is a "suspect BSE case". This is the stuff that makes rumors which, in my humble opinion do more harm to the cattle/beef industry than the worst-case scenario will.

MRJ}
Sorry MRJ but the press release said nothing about 4 other cows OLDTIMER did so I was asking him. You seem to be a little testy now that BSE shoe is on your foot.

Was there any mention what breed this latest positive cow was?

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

QUESTION: I'm from the Seattle Times. Can you tell us why this animal was selected for testing and why the carcass was incinerated?

DR. CLIFFORD: "This animal was presented at 3D/4D facility, and at that time actually there were five animals presented that fit the categories for us. This animal was listed by the facility as a downer. And the animal was incinerated because of the inconclusive results. And based on those inconclusive results, we not only incinerated this animal; we incinerated the entire group of all five animals."

full transcript at www.usda.gov/2005/06/0235.xml

Will the OIE send a team to investigate the traceouts and the review of what went on as they did in May 2003 in Canada and Dec. 23 in Washington St.? I doubt it as the trail is pretty cold on this one and not much has changed since Dec. 23/03.

Not much has changed because the truth was found out then! Where's the truth now?

Must be sporatic!

Murgen said:
This isn't a nice thought, but how many on welfare in the US injest pet food as a source of cheap grocercies? Canned mostly I would think!

Must be some stats somewhere. Reader, do you know?

No, I hadn't thought of that for years. My step-father told me when he was young and very poor, he ate pet food. I'll ask the Consumer's Union people next time I see them if they have thought of this.

Reader the Second- I had never thought of that either--And you know who over the years I have seen eating pet food out of the dog or cat dishs many many times- toddlers and little children... :cry: :mad: :shock:

The poor eating dog food was used as an excuse for not letting Canadian meat into the US , even as dog food in May 2003, dang maybe it's true now of the US pet food manufactureers too!

Latest posts