• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

7420 John Deere Good, Bad, and the Ugly

Help Support Ranchers.net:

xhangn7

Reaction score
looking at trading off the 6400 on a 7420 10,000hrs I know there are a few on here that have one. Any information would be appreciated Thanks

Which one has the 10,000 hours?

I have a 7420 and a 7400. I almost like the 7400 better but the reverser is nice. I have the Non self leveling loaders on both and I think the old 740 breaks out more weight then the newer one altho the new one has way heavier pins and cylinders. Other then having fuel lines needing a change can't think of much problems.

7420 has 10000 hrs, 6400 has 20000+hrs

How does it start when its really cold?
Do you do any farming with it?
How many hrs are on your machines?
Have you had any major repairs?

Thanks

I have just the block heater connected as the cord burnt out going to the other heater.
Let the preheater work and it starts good.
I don't do any farming but have pulled a 14 heavy offset dick working down some old grader ridges on some old roads on the ranch. it pull pretty good and it's my mowing and raking tractor. I bale with the 7400 as it has the monitor in it.
I think i'm at 2500 and 6000 hrs on my tractors.

I had front end bushings ect on the 7400 but nothing major on the 7420.

I run a 7410 and love it. I have heard the 20 series tractors have some electrical grimlins that will aggravate you at times. 00-20 series tractors are in high demand currently because of the high price of new ones and it costs so much more to get into a 6cyl than days gone by. That's a lot of hours in my opinion but each to their own. If you don't mind what are the asking? 741 loader?

I'm close to Great Falls.

741 loader
$44,000.00

Its a lot of hours but 10,000 less than what the 6400 has I cant afford the same tractor with less hours price goes way up. They are giving me a decent trade trying to talk them into letting me demo it over the weekend then I will make my decision.

The biggest concern I have is it starting in the cold weather. The 6400 wont even think about starting under 0 even if plugged in.

xhangn7 said:
The biggest concern I have is it starting in the cold weather. The 6400 wont even think about starting under 0 even if plugged in.

Get a good "Tune up" and your diesels will start even if cold, most of the time the problem is either timing being close but not quite right - - - injectors not popping at the correct pressure or low compression - - - I have found many injectors popping at a very low pressure which puts out "drops" of fuel instead of a mist. They will start and run when warm but not as they should.

If that is the case you will recupe the cost of the tune up in increased fuel efficiency in a very few hours as well as making your life seem easier with not worrying about starting problems.

I know of many tractors who have never been thourley checked from time of purchase till they are sold.

Latest posts