• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

9 days late

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Circle M

Reaction score
I have a few cows that were due feb 20th and still have not had their calfs yet but some of the others had theirs on monday is it to soon to worry or not ? :???: They all seem to be eating well drinking water and none seem to be in discomfort all are third calfvers black and red angus average weight 1250 lbs

Circle M said:
the vet preg checked them at the salebarn ??? i know this probly does not mean much though :(

Nope- some vets are pretty good- others are off by months...Have patience- good chance they'll be along soon...

I've got some AI heifers that are not supposed to calve until March 15th- that we're going to bring in tomorrow as several are looking like any day...Neighbor bred to same bull- same time- and had one yesterday- so it sounds like this bull may have a shorter gestational period....

Calves kind of like babies, tho- come when they are ready...

Even with Artificial Insemination dates when a rancher knows the date the deed happened they still don't come when a person thinks they will.

Turned my bulls out last spring May 20th to start calving today Mar 1 and had my first calf on 2/24 and five since then. :D

When it's time it's time.

My first 5 AI calves and 12 NS calves are due beginning March 27th and I have to be away from the farm from the 18th - 20th, so I'm sure some of them are going to arrive early. Makes me nervous, I hate leaving them with farmhands that tip tractors over and get cars cars stuck in the cattle fencing. :(

The only time a vet can be really accurate predicting a calving is if he/she preg checks very early in the pregnancy. I mean very early. :shock:

Checking later is just a guess. There's a time frame where you can't even feel the calf, just that the uterus is being stretched down. Later, you can feel the calf, but there's no difference between a small calf due next week and a big calf with three weeks to go. They are the same size.

We bought some bred cows in December, and the vet warned that one in particular was really going to calf soon and we should watch her. Our calving season started six weeks later, and she has calf number 76. :roll:

So much for accuracy. :D :D :D :D

When my vet checks he states he can tell the date by counting the pulse on the umbilical cord. Last year he got everyone in order but I kept telling him the bull was not in that early.

They started when I thought but it was 30 days behind his date - - - but he did have them all in order and I was amased at that.

He only showed two as open and I shipped them so I don't know for sure on them but they probably went to hamburger any way

I remember a year ago at a Bred cow sale after the cows were preg check a few of them aborted. That would have been quite a surprise to buy a bred cow that was empty :roll:

Latest posts