• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A bit of what the Check Off is doing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
http://www.beefretail.org/americanheartassociationcertificationprogram.aspx

Have you seen the Heart-Check mark on beef labels at your local grocery store? Research shows that consumers feel better about choosing beef when they see the American Heart Association's Heart-Check mark, so the checkoff works with retailers to participate in the Trade Association Certification Program to put this label on all approved fresh beef packages.
Its just another way your checkoff is working with retailers to sell more beef.

TERRIBLE.........

Why in the world would the Checkoff folks partner with and pay extortion to any organization who makes it a priority to try and get folks to eat LESS beef?

Meet the Certified Beef Cuts

Nine fresh beef cuts are certified to display the coveted Heart-Check mark, signifying they meet the American Heart Association's® criteria for heart-healthy foods as part of an overall healthy dietary pattern:

• Extra Lean Ground Beef (96% lean, 4% fat)
• Bottom Round Steak (USDA Select grade)
• Sirloin Steak (Solution Added)
• Sirloin Tip Steak (USDA Select grade)
• Top Sirloin Petite Roast, Boneless (USDA Select grade)
• Top Sirloin Strips (USDA Select grade)
• Top Sirloin Filet (USDA Select grade)
• Top Sirloin Kabob (USDA Select grade)
• Top Sirloin Steak, Boneless, Center Cut (USDA Select grade)

Thanks FH! and Mike for sharing the information.

graybull, how about some detail? While I don't like that the AHA sells their approval of products to use the symbol, I realize the power that group CURRENTLY enjoys. The Beef CheckOff groups do not have that kind of power or the money to fight it. And it is irksome that so called charitable organizations like AHA seem so power and dollar greedy!

Isn't it a fact that beef may be the only food of those quasi-regulated for amount consumed is currently eaten at LESS than recommended amounts? Therefore, encouraging more consumers to increase their beef consumption UP to the recommended amount will INCREASE beef sales!

My guess, based on past 'talk' at some related meetings, is that the symbol IS increasing beef sales of what sometimes are less popular cuts, being considered not top of the line. And that doesn't mean the leaner cuts are of less quality, but imo, Sirloin and others on the list sure are tops for flavor and with proper preparation and cooking methods advised by CheckOff programs, are some of the most flavorful. They can rate right up with the highest priced, fattier cuts for flavor and tenderness.

I believe that as more research proves the nutritional benefits we know beef has, but don't have approved research of proof, we will have stronger bargaining points with groups such as AHA, or will find greater benefit in ignoring their dictates.

mrj

OK........let me see IF I can understand. AHA has the power so we pay them.......while the entire organization trumpets Anti-Beef ideas.......we can pay them to "bless"certain beef products but not all beef.

To answer your question.......YES.....beef is very much under-consumed even by the VERY flawed USDA/AMA/ADA/AHA guidelines. So are any of these "authority" organizations telling consumers to eat MORE beef? NO.......they all say to eat LES S beef.

In my simple way of thinking......what good are they to our industry and WHY would we pay them to spout untruths?

That brings me to my next question......

How do our "wise" checkoff folks know who to pay off? Do you pay off AHA or HSUS or which anti beef organization? How is that decided? Maybe Hillary can help the checkoff folks in determining WHO to pay off.

Court Limits National Cattlemen's Beef Association's Role in Federal Records Case

http://competitivemarkets.com/

It has never been a secret that some people, many of whom were against the Beef CheckOff from before it became law, continue to do everything they can think of to destroy it.

These people incorrectly have convinced themselves that the destruction can be accomplished by destroying or eliminating NCBA as a cattle producer organization. That hasn't worked yet. They haven't yet proven ANY criminal activity against the Beef CheckOff by NCBA.

So to fund their current lawsuit against NCBA, they resort to partnering with HSUS (that organization which fools people into funding their activities by claiming to care for pets that have been ill-treated, so soft hearted people will generously fund their real activity: generous salaries and perks for their top people). Meanwhile, HSUS works diligently to follow their founding mothers' determination that everyone must eliminate ALL uses of ALL animals for ANY reason. It may be a newsflash to some, but that does include cattle! Even those cattle that are raised on very small farms!!!

So, do you guys supporting this attempt to kill the Beef CheckOff and NCBA realize you are working to put yourselves out of business, too? Do you know that your state Beef Councils are comprised of cattle producers from ALL organizations, NOT just NCBA members?

mrj

Latest posts