• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Cat Eyed Calf?... Pics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

JF Ranch

Reaction score
A few days ago, I noticed a calf that looked like he had real bad pinkeye in both eyes. Upon closer inspection, I found the eyes to be OK, but a blue-ish white in color with pupil slits sort of like a cat's eyes, except that these slits are horizontal instead of verticle.

We branded him today and I was able to get some pictures:

_tCIMG2443.jpg

_tCIMG2438.jpg

Here's a closer view. I appologize for the poor focus of my camera, but I think you'll get the idea:

_tCIMG2458.jpg

_tCIMG2459.jpg

_tCIMG2457.jpg

I don't ever remember seeing anything like this before. My question for you all is has anyone else has seen such a thing?

yeap we had a blue eyed heifer calf last year, think I can find a picture of her.....................all cows have horizontal pupils, just when they are dark eyes you don't notice it as much.
Blueeyed-calf.jpg

Also somethin else..this calf of ours didnt stay blue eyed, they gradually changed and are now brown/black.

I've seen a few yellowish eyed cat eyed cattle in the feedlot and always intended to get some pics, but never did. They look pretty cool, and their eye sight is fine too.

Looks like you've got a little bit of goat in there you guys!

:p Leave my ears alone hehe

Horses and other grazing animals such as goats, sheep, and cattle, all have horizontal pupils to see sideways, in front of them, and behind them, while eating from the ground. It's a safety feature....lol

When this one was a calf, and we were talkin about it. An older fella told us that the blue eye goes back to longhorn somewhere in the woodpile.(like wayyyyy back) I don't know how true that is or not, never found anything to back that theory up. But never found anything to disprove it either.

I have a registered Angus heifer calf (born 2.26.07) with the same condition. . maybe we should start a new breed :)

Latest posts