• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Certain Satisfaction

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
This came to me today while I watched a momma sorting out her grafted-on twin from the group of young hellions that were tearing around the pasture and then standing there quietly while it filled its tummy from her udder.

She couldn't seem to forget her own dead baby and after trying for a couple of weeks to get her to let it suck, I had almost given up on her taking it. She didn't take kindly to being put into the crate and made a statement with her hooves. All of a sudden one day the switch seemed to flip and they have never looked back since . . .

There's a Certain Satisfaction

There's a certain satisfaction that rewards the one who's tried
to help a calf get going, it's something more than pride.

There's a certain satisfaction that soothes the bruised shin
still bearing blue reminders of the hoof-prints on the skin.

There's a certain satisfaction that rewards the beaten hand,
kicked and crushed and aching trying to meet the calf's demand.

There's a certain satisfaction that rewards the furrowed brow
creased and lined from worry, but it isn't always "now".

There's a certain satisfaction from looking in the momma's eye
knowing that the fight's forgotten and now we even wonder why!

There's a certain satisfaction - it lasts much longer than today
cuz it gives resolve to try again if necessity should say.

There's a certain satisfaction creeps across the work-week's end
it allows the soul to soften and the weary back unbend.

JES, 08/06/2011

Big Muddy rancher said:
If you leave right now Gcreek might let you get back to Maple Creek for the poetry gathering in the middle of September. :D :D

That was a good one. :D :D

I figure you could stay until the cowboy Gathering in Kamloops next March. You could them hit all the social events across Canada on your way home.

On the other hand, if you were gone that long you would likely be writing some words about being homeless.

Very good Burnt. :D

Burnt maybe Mrs. Burnt would like to come along for support on your cross country legacy. (lunacy?) She of course could speed things up by being able to run a baler or rake and help you with your diction and spelling etc. 8)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Luv it Burnt !!!!!!!

Maybe that is why after each calving season is over after the heartbreaks, the sleepless nights, the backaches/headaches ,we do it all over again the next year . The good definitely outweighs the bad :wink:

Latest posts