• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A FAIR QUESTION

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Is it fair play for the canadians to push their beef/live cattle on the american cattle man createing a slump in demand and prices ,before we regain our export market that the canadian cattle man caused us to lose?Not only did the canadian cattle man cause american cattle men to lose their export markets ,the canadians are working hard to regain these markets for themselves.what does this tell you about the canadian cattle man?...............good luck

It was American order buyers coming to our auctions and feedlots in Canada that got our cattle inventories up so high in the first place. They also brought those big American dollars up here and used them to outcompete our local packing plants. That's the whole reason we have a glut right now. It is an American made problem.

HAY MAKER said:
Is it fair play for the canadians to push their beef/live cattle on the american cattle man createing a slump in demand and prices ,before we regain our export market that the canadian cattle man caused us to lose?Not only did the canadian cattle man cause american cattle men to lose their export markets ,the canadians are working hard to regain these markets for themselves.what does this tell you about the canadian cattle man?...............good luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Haymaker, you used the term "Canadian cattle MAN" 3 times. You are quite a gentleman for leaving out the "Canadian cattle WOMAN".
I am impressed with your diplomacy. :wink:

:D Typical Rcalf attitude Oldtimer. This is not about cattlemen/or cattlewomen, on either side of the border. Keep chirpin about it though, makes for great entertainment for those calling the shots.

I have a fair question too. How many Canadian cattlemen/cattlewomen have taken their calves across the border to a livestock auction to sell them compared to how many have sold their calves to US cattle buyers in a Canadian livestock auction? When those Canadian born calves cross the border who will own them Canadian ranchers or US cattle buyers?

I only get to the auction where I market my calves once a year (long haul), so quite honestly have no idea who the buyers represent that buy my calves. Once the liners leave the ranch, the rest seems to be up to fate, although I do follow them down to the mart just to make sure they unload safely and are penned and fed decently.

Nice to watch your yearly paycheck selling through the ring. Well, it used to be nicer a couple of years back, but still it's a matter of pride to see your calves sell well.

When we had a local auction barn I used to stop in there regularly on town days to watch the cattle sell, and I knew the buyers - but still I believe the information of whom they were filling orders for is not known publically. Oh, I know who "Lakeside" and "XL" are, but names describing buyer's pens called "Red Heifer", "Wayne Baby", "RB", etc don't give much detail to go on.

Guess what I'm saying is that to my knowledge, my calves are sold to Canadian buyers. What or who the buyers represent is beyond my power to control.

Doesn't it work that way in auction markets across Canada and the U.S.?

That's why I'm left wondering at how I, as a Canadian cattle producer, am to blame if my calves have or will end up under US ownership...

Way back when the border was open, if a US buyer representing a Canadian feeder bought a liner load of steers from an auction in the US to finish, would the rancher that originally owned those cattle be deemed as doing something untoward?

Would he be responsible for who bought his cattle?

Sorry for rambling. Fire at will.

Take care.

:) Where do you market your Cattle - Annie? Kosick's market in Dawson burnt down and I know Mike is struggling with the insurance company to re build. Poor old Joe (a very good friend) had to go into the H last week. Hope he's doing okay, he's not near a phone.

I'm sorry to hear that Poppa Joe is in the hospital, Randy. Very sad. What with his wife passing away, PCLA burnt to the ground, it's been a tough year for that family.

That old auction market building was a tinderbox...not suprised the insurance company is giving them grief..especially after the way business had been failing for them before the fire. I guess that would arouse suspiciouns of the investigators.

Been sending the calves to Clyde. I'm thinking of going with Olds next year.

What about you?

Take care.

HAY MAKER said:

This is double talk..If we don,t try and export..your.. :mad: because we are supposebly relying on the U.S market too much.

If we do try and develop markets as has been suggested to us by U.S ranchers...then your :mad: because their your customers..

Make up your mind...will ya

Latest posts