• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A few bull pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nice bulls, Doug. How soon will you be taking off the hornweights on the bull in the first picture? The horns already look a little lower than my pappy would let them get before taking off the weights. His method was to just get them slightly lower than level, and then time would make a nice gentle curl after that. His reasoning was that if they got too low, they could keep turning and eventually grow back into the bull (or cow's) head.

Ed Belsky had Pioneer Herefords of Merriman, Nebraska and he was one of the premier Hereford breeders in the whole nation back in the '30's, 40's, and 50's. His nephew, Gene Belsky, was a good cattleman and was preparing to take over the reins from Ed. One of Ed's friends was having a Hereford dispersal in Colorado, so Ed sent Gene to help with the sale. Gene was used to Ed's gentle old cows, but the Colorado cows weren't quite as docile. One old girl had a horn curved around and nearly growing into her head. She made a run at Gene, so he jumped for the top plank of the corral. As he did, he kicked at the cow. Unfortunately, his foot got stuck in the curl of the cow's horn, and she mauled him around for awhile before his foot came loose. Gene suffered back problems enough that he had to give up ranching and became a banker. He is a fine gentleman, and just retired about a year ago. Had it not been for the unfortunate horn incident, he may have very well continued on with the Belsky Pioneer Hereford dream.

I took them off yesterday. I weighted him as a yearling and must have got them off too quick as they really only went to straight. I put them back on in September. His would be too far if he was a yearling but now he is about right in my book.

Thanks for the comments.

Local Hereford breeder here dehorns their horned Hereford bulls to allow customers to use them in the same pasture as their Angus bulls. Also a safety issue in that the mixed Angus/Hereford bulls compete evenly for space. Good move in my opinion.

Back to your bulls....they look really nice. One thing i like about most herefords is that they don't suffer from the high tail heads like a lot of my angus do. I can speak from experience when you get that trait going it is hard to get rid of it. :cry:

Hope you have a good sale this year.

I really like 757.... thick, with a dark color, and lots of curl.

Latest posts