• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

a few fall pics/start of weaning

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A

Reaction score
a few daily happenings..... cutting thorn trees, putting out mineral, building new fence, started weaning....

Thanks for looking.....gotta go dig some post holes

11fall-12345.jpg

11fall-1234.jpg

11fall-1233.jpg

11fall-155.jpg

11fall-1551.jpg

11fall-123.jpg

11fall-122.jpg

11fall-12.jpg

11fall-1.jpg

11fall-.jpg

11weaning4.jpg

11weaning3.jpg

11weaning2.jpg

11weaning1.jpg

11weaning.jpg

Faster horses said:
Yep. I'd say they were ready to be weaned.

The cattle around here would sure like to have some of your
green grass.

Love your dogs!! Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks, Faster horses! Thanks for all your help!

Weaning early is really going to help this groups moms! The calves won't quit eating long enough to shrink :D .....and are really taking to what I'm doing, I think. Heck, I've been in with them so much, I can scratch all of them on the head now.

Yeah, never a dull moment with 5 heelers. :D .....gotta rule them with a iron fist....lol.

looks good I was once told the if the calf is the same size as the cow it is time to wean I wish we had green grass like that cattle look good and I am glad to see someone else has more dogs that me :lol:

per said:
Nice calves RA. You got things under control.

Thanks, per! I'm pecking away at every thing here. My calves are probably half the size of your big red calves.

cure said:
looks good I was once told the if the calf is the same size as the cow it is time to wean I wish we had green grass like that cattle look good and I am glad to see someone else has more dogs that me :lol:

Thanks, cure! A few of my cows probably would have died if the calf was left on until 6 or 7 months old like I wanted to.....it was getting kind of sad....lol. I feel lucky to have not ran out of grass this year....a few timely rains and being way under stocked helped. I had 7 dogs to run with last year, so only having 5 seems like I don't have any hardly :D

I appreciate every one not raking me over the coals on here with the quality of my stock....too kind. I love looking at every one's pictures on here and learn a ton from every picture I see, so I figured I'd do the same. I'm no where near where I want to be on quality of cows, calves and bull. The longer I am at this, I don't know if I've made a good purchase yet. :D I think it will be fun to look back at these pictures,when I only had 20 cows, and see where I have got to.

Soapweed said:
Nice calves, R A. They will probably get by just fine without their mommies. :wink:

Thanks, Soapweed! I'll hopefully have calves like your bunch someday. I moved these calves out of the fence line weaning pen, to a different, bigger pen, farther away from the cows this morning.....to get the weaning pen ready for the next few. Put the pony in the weaning pen to help clean up loose, uneaten hay :)

Justin said:
calves look good, nice work :)

Thanks, Justin! I seen some people worried about ya on here.....glad to see you posting.

I love horned hereford bulls...and will probably always have them on bougthen angus cows around here.

I wasn't going to ask this, because their can be so many answers like a lot of things in beef raising, but, if anybody see's this.... what would a good cross be on these baldy heifers I'm keeping? I'm a little fuzzy on which way to go with them?????

maybe it matters on wanting a stricly terminal cross????? or a possible cross where good steers and possible replacement heifers can be had????

I know I want good steers for sure out of this cross....not sure on needing replacements out of this cross

I know there are bad bulls in all breeds that are out there, but trying to decide on a breed......Gelbvieh, Brangus, Beefmaster,..... would going back to Angus lose any thing?

I have old and current ranching footage from Texas to either the Gang ranch or the Douglas Lake Cattle Co. in Canada, where Charolais bulls were used on baldy cows and they look good.

I guess I need to see what might sell the best around here maybe?

Please disreguard. :D Just thinking out load....lol....or chime in when the smoke clears:D

edited to add: Would going back to another horned hereford on these baldy heifers be a waste? anybody ever do that?

Good looking pictures RA. One thing I have to take issue with or suggest is the yellow electric fence insulators on the fence. I have used these and have had 0 luck with them. Also what gauge wire is that offset electric. I have converted mine to all 12.5 wire and different offsets and get along much better.

Once again things are looking good.

I wouldn't advise going back on your baldie heifers with a hereford bull.
You'll get a lot of white plus some other undesirable Hereford
traits. (please, don't jump on me, Hereford folks....I do like Herefords,
just not crossed on baldy heifers.) The Char cross works well, but
not if you want consistent replacment heifers. I'd go with smaller framed
black simmental or back to black angus. You can get good heifers
and good steers with that cross. FWIW

A Hereford man from our area told me once (he actually was
Hereford Man of the Year once) that the first cross of Hereford
and Angus was dynamite and it was downhill from there...people
love the F1 cross, but after that, you have to scratch your head
on what to do next, just like you are doing. :D

I'm old enough that the KISS system works for me.
Keep It Simple, Stupid. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

4Diamond said:
Good looking pictures RA. One thing I have to take issue with or suggest is the yellow electric fence insulators on the fence. I have used these and have had 0 luck with them. Also what gauge wire is that offset electric. I have converted mine to all 12.5 wire and different offsets and get along much better.

Once again things are looking good.

Thanks, 4Diamond! I'm getting my fence ready for pasture rotating two herds here next year without them getting together all the time. I don't even know what gauge of wire the electric fence is, I guess. I'm pecking away at putting in the barb wire fence every where a one wire electric fence has been.....and just popping the wire up on the new fence from where it was on the electric fence rod deals. I have had electric fence wire on the perimeter fence the last few years on those yellow deals without problems. I don't know? What problems do they cause? ...or what have you had happen? I know I've accidently touched it once and don't want to do it again......lol. I water the 3 ground rods every day like trees on that fencer.

Faster horses said:
I wouldn't advise going back on your baldie heifers with a hereford bull.
You'll get a lot of white plus some other undesirable Hereford
traits. (please, don't jump on me, Hereford folks....I do like Herefords,
just not crossed on baldy heifers.) The Char cross works well, but
not if you want consistent replacment heifers. I'd go with smaller framed
black simmental or back to black angus. You can get good heifers
and good steers with that cross. FWIW

A Hereford man from our area told me once (he actually was
Hereford Man of the Year once) that the first cross of Hereford
and Angus was dynamite and it was downhill from there...people
love the F1 cross, but after that, you have to scratch your head
on what to do next, just like you are doing. :D

I'm old enough that the KISS system works for me.
Keep It Simple, Stupid. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

This is exactly the stuff I've been looking for! Thanks, Faster horses! I need to put you on the pay roll :D very much appreciated!

The scratching of head is right! Been doing that for a year now. I'm really trying to make better purchasing choices.

There's a sign for Angus bulls south of me and a sign for simmentals north of me....I might go check them out. Maybe try and find something in those that will throw a tiny calf and grow well. The bull I have now throws calves the size of a squirrel....I really liked that while calving this year.

Nice.....
We use the insulators for our electric fence like that on a mile of fence and get along great... Matter of fact the neighbor said he accidently touched it and it felt like it took his arm off.. LOL But what the heck do I know???

katrina said:
Nice.....
We use the insulators for our electric fence like that on a mile of fence and get along great... Matter of fact the neighbor said he accidently touched it and it felt like it took his arm off.. LOL But what the heck do I know???

Thanks, katrina! That's a funny story. :D What I remember most about touching mine, was the noice I made. When it grabbed me, I didn't cuss or go ouch, yikes, oh, eh, ahhh.....it was more of a long drawn out hhhhhhaaaarrrrrrfffffffffff.....lol.

I have had bad luck with the yellow insulators getting flipped off the posts and after time wears on the plastic gets very brittle. I use these:http://www.powerflexfence.com/?page_id=2390 or a variation and really enjoy them.

4Diamond said:
I have had bad luck with the yellow insulators getting flipped off the posts and after time wears on the plastic gets very brittle. I use these:http://www.powerflexfence.com/?page_id=2390 or a variation and really enjoy them.

Boy that site has a lot of info in it. I found it interesting that they don't promote using t-posts with electric fencing. I don't know much about electric fencing....thanks for the link. Heck, I lived outside of Marshfield for a couple years and have been through Seymour a bunch....just never went up the street they are located on.

R A said:
I love horned hereford bulls...and will probably always have them on bougthen angus cows around here.

I wasn't going to ask this, because their can be so many answers like a lot of things in beef raising, but, if anybody see's this.... what would a good cross be on these baldy heifers I'm keeping? I'm a little fuzzy on which way to go with them?????

maybe it matters on wanting a stricly terminal cross????? or a possible cross where good steers and possible replacement heifers can be had????

I know I want good steers for sure out of this cross....not sure on needing replacements out of this cross

I know there are bad bulls in all breeds that are out there, but trying to decide on a breed......Gelbvieh, Brangus, Beefmaster,..... would going back to Angus lose any thing?

I have old and current ranching footage from Texas to either the Gang ranch or the Douglas Lake Cattle Co. in Canada, where Charolais bulls were used on baldy cows and they look good.

I guess I need to see what might sell the best around here maybe?

Please disreguard. :D Just thinking out load....lol....or chime in when the smoke clears:D

edited to add: Would going back to another horned hereford on these baldy heifers be a waste? anybody ever do that?

It definitely depends on which direction you want to go. If you want to use Hereford and Angus in a two breed rotation to produce your females and then use a terminal sire, like charolais, then going back and forth between the two breeds will give you an average cross of 5/8 original breed of sire and 3/8 breed of dam with 67% heterosis--using a terminal sire then gets you 100% of potential heterosis in those terminal calves. Using a third breed in the rotation gets you up to about 87% heterosis in your females but you don't maximize it in your terminal animals unless you use a fourth terminal breed. Six of one--half a dozen of another. Going back to one of the parent breeds drops you back to 46% heterosis, so personally I wouldn't do it unless I was developing a rotational system to makes replacements. Depends on your numbers and infrastructure which system works best for you...oh, and if you believe in the effect of heterosis! Good luck! Your calves look good!

R A said:
4Diamond said:

Boy that site has a lot of info in it. I found it interesting that they don't promote using t-posts with electric fencing. I don't know much about electric fencing....thanks for the link. Heck, I lived outside of Marshfield for a couple years and have been through Seymour a bunch....just never went up the street they are located on.

Wow what a small world I use to work in Marshfield (06-08). I don't live far away from there now. I use t post and get along fine, a lot dont like them as they feel the wire will eventually short out on the post.

Latest posts