• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A few photos from the week, November 15, 2007

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Treesontheskyline.jpg

Trees on the skyline
Oldestsonandhisprize.jpg

Oldest son and his prize
Thebuckstopshere.jpg

The buck stops here
ItsillegaltoshootfromtheroadbutIdid.jpg

It's illegal to shoot from the road but I did
KosmoKidfixingtheagitatorrodonawind.jpg

Kosmos Kid fixing the agitator rod on a windmill
Ascaryplace--theyareabouttostarttel.jpg

A scary place--they are about to start telling goat stories
Sunsetsilhouette.jpg

Sunset silhouette
Thecastironcowboy.jpg

The cast iron cowboy
MydadscattlebrandtheRafterM.jpg

My dad's cattle brand--the Rafter M
Colorinthesky.jpg

Color in the sky

Nice Buck! You got a nice sunset when you shot from the road too. Kosmos is riding the wind (mill). Scares me, just seeing the picture-- where is the platform?. Nice pictures, Soapweed.

TTB, when you read this, and I'm sure you will, I saw Brice & Phyllis today. Your dad was telling me of a Rydberg horse you had bought at an auction that worked out real well for you. I have a nice gelding out of Jack's stud. We did the CCA midwinter convention today. Been a big day & trying to let down a little before I get a nap.

Nice pictures but i do have a question on the goat pic.. Do they ever scrub down the sales ring? I would be embarrassed to own a sales ring that dirty and sell anything threw it.

Did you get a new camera? I noticed with the last set of pics how clear and bright your pics are.They're really beautiful.

I showed my 24 yr old daughter your pics,she liked the deer ones esp. and I think it was the dear in the pic more then the deer :wink:

YIKES,you've got us all doing it now...... :D

Great pics!
I'm guessing by the windmill pic, you didn't get the wind we got that day.
Nice buck

Shortgrass, are you talking about Jack Rydberg? He trained horses in NE Wyoming for awhile. I knew of him, and have talked to him, but didn't know him well. He has to be getting a little grey in the temples, now.

Does he live close to you and how are his horses bred?

My horse is out of a Doc O Lena horse of Jack's. Last I knew they had a new stallion called Smart Little Lena, so guess how they are bred. They trained cutting horses. Jack ran the Horsemanship program at Lamar Junior College and developed an outstanding program. The last I heard, Jack was in ill health, and his son, JJ, was running the Horsemanship program. Lamar is about 120 miles SE of us. Jack and Bobbi lived around Wiley.

I just re-read this, and his older horse was called Pep O Lena. I couldn't remember earlier. Old people spend half thrir time trying to remember names, so I must be getting there!

Shortgrass said:
TTB, when you read this, and I'm sure you will, I saw Brice & Phyllis today. Your dad was telling me of a Rydberg horse you had bought at an auction that worked out real well for you. I have a nice gelding out of Jack's stud. We did the CCA midwinter convention today. Been a big day & trying to let down a little before I get a nap.

Hey Shortgrass....

Sorry slow in responding...been very busy.

My folks enjoyed visiting with you. CCA is their social and professional network. It is a great organization, one I am proud my family is so active in.

About my Rydberg caballo...his name was Irish Patrick...born on St. Patrick's Day. He was just the best little horse a person could ever ask for. I was lucky enough to buy him at the CCA ranchhorse sale at the Colorado State Fair in 1988, on my 14th birthday. He was pretty much the talk event before the sale. I clearly remember my Dad telling me that I should not get my hopes up because he was going to sell for far more than I could ever pay for a horse.

They posted the sale order and he was the first horse in the ring. Again, my Dad said you'll probably not get him bought, and instructed me that even though it was my money, I couldn't go over budget. I don't know what happened at the sale...whether they started early, whether all his interest didn't see the order, or what, but he came in and I got him bought for $1100! Then it dawned on me that Mr. Rydberg probably had him floored for far more than that $1100.

Mr. Rydberg was obviously disappointed because he was easily a six or seven thousand dollar horse, but still honored the sale. That integrity impressed the heck out of me, and in turn he made me the happiest kid in the world. I remember leading Pat back to his stall, and Gary Shoun, Chief Brand Inspector asked if I'd like a permanent inspection card.

That was a special day, and Pat was sure a special horse. After the sale that day I had no less than 10 people ask if I'd sell Pat, and the answer was no. I probably had more requests from good horse people to buy that horse than I'll ever have for anything I own. He was that good. Anyone could ride him anywhere, and he was as cowy and catty as they come. And, he had all of this talent, was really well bred, and, still really liked people and was a beautiful horse-sorrel (dark in winter, lighter in summer) with a flaxen mane and tail, and three white stockings, and a star, stripe and snip.

There were only two downfalls to Pat. The worst was he didn't like to get his feet wet or cross water. In our experience this is a trait of horses coming out of SE Colorado. They just don't have as much live water, creeks, or pond to cross was we do in the mountains. The longer we had him, the better he got, but he still didn't like water.

His second fault was you could not keep him with cattle, because he would sort types; bulls from cows, cows from calves. The worst was one time we had him in a pasture of first calve heifer pairs...he sorted all the calves off the cows and would not let them suck. We never held this against Pat--it was all his cowy instinct.

We lost Pat last fall. It was very hard on all of us. He has been the go to horse at our place for nearly 20 years. Lazy Ace has started a two and three year old for me, both of which remind me a lot of ol' Pat, but he'll never be replaced.

Sorry to hijack your post Soap...and sorry this is so long. Shortgrass, you got me to reminiscing about the good ol' days with Pat.

Pat, may you rest in peace, you ol' joker.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Beautiful as always :) Especially like the ones with your ranch sign!

Mrs.Greg, you are too funny.

TTB-that is a neat story about your horse, sounds like he was a dandy!!

That was a good story, TTB. Sounds like Pat was quite a horse. Those kind only come along about once in a person's lifetime, if even that often. You were a lucky girl. Thanks for telling us.

Latest posts