• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Few Photos From Today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

randiliana

Reaction score
Saturday was a big day here. We sorted about 250 pair, about 7 or 8 different ways. It was a long day, but things went quite well. Today we went out and found that a gate had been broken down and 2 of the larger sorted bunches will have to be resorted..... That will probably be tomorrow's job...

Here are a few photos that I took this morning.

First, I need a bit of help with this one.... Recently this stuff has been showing up in the pastures, Need advice, is this something to worry about and what should I do with it!!! :banana:
IMG_1222800x639_zpsf01ad4a5.jpg

The biggest bunch of cows, now out to pasture.
IMG_1256800x639_zps3495139b.jpg

IMG_1255800x641_zps5ad8f4b1.jpg

Some calves
IMG_1254800x641_zps2acaed40.jpg

IMG_1253800x640_zps5ba365b9.jpg

Where's my mama....
IMG_1252800x616_zps82aa9533.jpg

Yearling Heifers
IMG_1229800x641_zpsf099a034.jpg

IMG_1228800x640_zps7a681d1c.jpg

IMG_1225800x640_zps5845f8a3.jpg

Some of the cow's we've been custom feeding and calving.
IMG_1245800x640_zps87097149.jpg

IMG_1243800x639_zps86c5af82.jpg

IMG_1240800x639_zps07299b63.jpg

A shot that I think is kinda cool
IMG_1239800x639_zpsf21adb06.jpg

That stuff showing up in your pasture? Well if you don't know what to do with it, don't worry yourself about it too much.

Just put some cows in there in a week or two and they'll know what to do with it. :)

Looks good over there. I really like those heifers, they're going to make some good cows.
We had some of that green stuff showing up here too, but thankfully it's all covered up with about 8" of pretty white stuff today :roll:
My guess is that it's Quack, seems to me there are folks on here that are in the market for that stuff, you may be in the chips! :D

Really nice pictures Randi! Those are some nice looking calves.

I agree, the pic of the fence through the water is kinda neat.

~K

I think that is Quack Grass too, and I'd love to have some!! Cattle really like
it and it's very hardy.

Your red 112 heifer has the prettiest little feminine face!!

Most calves seem to have more hair this year, I think it's cuz it's been
so doggone cold. Will be great to see them shine up on green grass!

I actually think that the grass is Crested Wheat Grass. But, it could be Quack grass or (I hope not) Downy Brome.....

Those calves are all 1/2 Shorthorn, that sure seems to add the hair to them! I love that #112 heifer, she is a sweet heart.

The heifers are all looking pretty good. White tag #'s 203 and up are ones we bought this spring, the rest were mostly raised here. They have seen pretty minimal grain this winter, and I am very happy with how they've grown out.

Downy Brome won't move in, unless you have a bare spot. It doesn't like competition, but it does make good feed, before it heads out.

Thanks for the pictures

That pasture is one we just rented. Hasn't had cattle in it for 2 or 3 years. But, we had a lot of rain last year, and the pastures are in pretty good shape.

LazyWP, the stuff we call downy brome around here is pretty invasive, it will take over just about anything, alfalfa, crop land, tame grass land.

Faster horses said:
Here cheat grass comes in the spring following a wet fall. Otherwise we
don't see much of it. Cattle do like it before it heads out.

I think it might be a much finer grass than what you showed here.
(finer, not meant as better :wink: ).

Not sure but I think Cheat grass is what we call Downy Brome or vicey versa. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Faster horses said:

:nod:

And at times we have Japanese Brome as well. Lucky us. :cry:

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Faster horses said:

:nod:

And at times we have Japanese Brome as well. Lucky us. :cry:

That's called "Chleet glass" :wink: :lol: :lol:

randiliana said:
That pasture is one we just rented. Hasn't had cattle in it for 2 or 3 years. But, we had a lot of rain last year, and the pastures are in pretty good shape.

LazyWP, the stuff we call downy brome around here is pretty invasive, it will take over just about anything, alfalfa, crop land, tame grass land.

Yes, Downy Brome is invasive, but with proper grazing management, you can push it out. It can't handle the competition of Native grasses. Graze it as hard as you can, early, pull out, let your native grasses come in, and usually a couple year you can clean it up.

I see this is on top again, so i will just put in my 2 cents worth' I believe the grass you pictured is just old Smooth Brome. Now that the snow is off I see some here that looks a lot like that. It is just coming through the old growth.
Smooth Brome is an introduced grass but it is getting to be an invader. I remember back in the 1930's Chan Gurney was promoting Brome grass on WNAX radio. He called it Bromus Grass.

I think what she was refering to is after months of snow cover there's a green color pokeing thru. I bet she did'nt care what type of grass it was.

Latest posts