• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A few pics while makin rounds, added more pics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Yesterday we finally got to start cuttin hay after it bein too wet for 2 weeks. Wouldn't ya know it, I left hubby in the field cuttin while I went ridin lookin at the cows, and he broke a drive shaft and had to quite.

What he got accomplished before drive shaft broke
8-24-05-Cuttin-hay-broke-dr.jpg

My Brangus bull was bein a lil camera shy, had to move his ear outta the way
Emory-me-holdin-ear-back.jpg

This is a lil bull calf that is goin in our freezer. The mornin we found him fresh born there was a pack of neighbor dogs tryin to kill him. The mama was doin her best to fight off about 6 dogs. They chewed him up fairly good. His ears were too far gone and this is what he has left. I feel sorry for the lil feller but know he'll not bring much at the sale lookin like that. So...the freezer it is.
No-ear-bullcalf-8-24-05.jpg

This is "Perdy Girl" and her calf. She always raises a nice calf.
Perty-girl-n-calf-8-24-05.jpg

HaHa after hitting submit and lookin at the pics...I noticed perdy girl done lost her ear tag.

Mmmmmmmm, Nice pictures!! How old is the calf on the cow? That is a good looking pair!! As for the guy with the chewed off ear (nice looking calf), we get shorter ears up here when it gets just a little too cold in calving season. We wouldn't get docked too bad for ears trimmed just that little bit, but then again, our buyers are used to seeing some pretty short ears!!

Randi
Saskatchewan, Canada
My Website
www.geocities.com/randiliana2000
My Favorite Canadian Gardening group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CdnRRandSeedexch/
My Favorite Canadian Ranching Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canadianfoodanimals

That bull is way to gentle Lilly,that's the kind that hurt you,what are yall cutting that looks native?...............good luck

Randi, calf on cow is a early november calf last year. TIME TO WEAN!!! When we pen in a couple weeks she'll be in the weanin lot for a couple weeks or so.

Haymaker,
That bull is one I raised from a two month old calf. Yes he's gentle, and yes I spose he could hurt ya..but I never put myself in a position where he can, now that he's full grown. When I put out bags of cubes I always put em out from the bed of the truck. He has a tendancy to want ya to hurry it up. I was in the truck when I took the picture. This is the bull that broke his leg a couple years ago and I just couldn't put him down. He was easy to treat because of bein' so gentle...but all the bawlin' n cryin' I done while thinkin' I's gonna hafta put my "baby" down....I swore I'd never get attached to a bull like that ever again. He's 4 1/2 years old now. I don't even wanna think about the day I hafta get rid of him. :cry2:
What we are cutting is a field that has mostly coastal and johnson grass in it. But bein' on a roadway there's alot of other types of grasses mixed in. It's a field we don't do a whole lot to other than fertilize. Because the highway dept. on occasion has come thru mowing the highways and will take half our hayfield, when all the rest gets one shreader wide. Can't afford to do too much improvement on it knowin that someone my just come along and cut it for ya. First cuttin this year we got 25 rounds offa this lil 4 1/2 acre feild....then no rain to amount to anything for a while. 2nd cuttin we got 6 bales :?
Was worried that we wouldn't be cuttin' anymore hay this year. But since we have had rains it looks like it'll be a good cuttin'. Will let ya'll know how many bales when we get done.

jersey just a thought I had while reading ..you couldnt bring your self to put the bull down with a broken leg but you have no problem eating him??? :p

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Randi, calf on cow is a early november calf last year. TIME TO WEAN!!! When we pen in a couple weeks she'll be in the weanin lot for a couple weeks or so.

Haymaker,
That bull is one I raised from a two month old calf. Yes he's gentle, and yes I spose he could hurt ya..but I never put myself in a position where he can, now that he's full grown. When I put out bags of cubes I always put em out from the bed of the truck. He has a tendancy to want ya to hurry it up. I was in the truck when I took the picture. This is the bull that broke his leg a couple years ago and I just couldn't put him down. He was easy to treat because of bein' so gentle...but all the bawlin' n cryin' I done while thinkin' I's gonna hafta put my "baby" down....I swore I'd never get attached to a bull like that ever again. He's 4 1/2 years old now. I don't even wanna think about the day I hafta get rid of him. :cry2:
What we are cutting is a field that has mostly coastal and johnson grass in it. But bein' on a roadway there's alot of other types of grasses mixed in. It's a field we don't do a whole lot to other than fertilize. Because the highway dept. on occasion has come thru mowing the highways and will take half our hayfield, when all the rest gets one shreader wide. Can't afford to do too much improvement on it knowin that someone my just come along and cut it for ya. First cuttin this year we got 25 rounds offa this lil 4 1/2 acre feild....then no rain to amount to anything for a while. 2nd cuttin we got 6 bales :?
Was worried that we wouldn't be cuttin' anymore hay this year. But since we have had rains it looks like it'll be a good cuttin'. Will let ya'll know how many bales when we get done.

well keep cuttin you cant have to much hay :D ...........good luck

got the drive shaft fixed this afternoon and at it again this evenin.

2005-08-25-cuttin-hay.jpg

Just wish it wasn't so tall, but we'll take what we can get.

2005-08-25-Layin-it-down.jpg

Layin it down
Got it all down this evenin, now let it lay a couple days n hope it don't rain.

2005-08-25-end-of-the-day.jpg

Time to head home n fix some supper.

Lilly,you are gettin plumb good with that camera,that sun down photo is as good as it gets................good luck

Stray dogs and coydogs used to be a major problem here but I devided my pastures into small lots for rotating and I have a hot wire at 15" and one at 30" with the hottest charger that TSC sells and I have not had a stray of any kind on the property in a couple of years. I had problems with the coon hunters at first as they claim the right to run their dogs on my property and one of them even sued me for ruining his dogs as they will not go over a fence not ( I have a hot wire 1/2 way up each woven wire fence to protect it and provide power to other fences) But over the years they have decided to run thier dogs elseware ( I won the suit)

We started balin yesterday, and I thought I'd finish out the pictures. After getting about half the field baled we had to stop. Hay was cloggin up in the baler and the belts all decided they wanted to change positions. Was a real mess.
We didn't get finished until this afternoon after church. 24 bales yahhhhhh!!!(may sound measly to some..but last cuttin we got 6, I was sweatin bullets wonderin how we's gonna feed this winter) I put these into my photo program and shrank the Pixels. let me know if they load faster for ya.

Time to get to work.
2005-08-27-004.jpg

Doin this'll put a crick in yer neck.
2005-08-27-006.jpg

I'm winnin I'm winnin..gonna get finished before you do! lol
2005-08-27-007.jpg

Lookin down a windrow.
2005-08-27-010.jpg

Windrows
2005-08-27-012.jpg

Cussin n Discussin why it's not workin right.
2005-08-27-013.jpg

Following hubby back after things went wrong.
2005-08-27-014.jpg

Baler Belts
2005-08-27-016.jpg

say Lilly,those belts look like they have seen better days :D :D ...........good luck ps looking at that storm in the gulf,I bet you get some rain off it.

Cussing and discussing picture looked more like he was...uh....putting some early water down, LOL,

PPRM

Yes the belts have seen better days....I kid hubby all the time for buyin equipment that was previously owned by "Noah" . I don't know if we'll limp on thru the rest of this year with what we've got or replace.
But then again, it's all paid for, and parts are tax deductable.
If we get rain off katrina we might oughta shoulda woulda thank about buyin some new belts, cuz we'll be cuttin somemore. Just had it tuned to the weather channel for an update....if we do get rain off of it, it'll at least not be the bad end of the deal. (we hope)

Yes the belts have seen better days....I kid hubby all the time for buyin equipment that was previously owned by "Noah" . I don't know if we'll limp on thru the rest of this year with what we've got or replace.
But then again, it's all paid for, and parts are tax deductable.
If we get rain off katrina we might oughta shoulda woulda thank about buyin some new belts, cuz we'll be cuttin somemore. Just had it tuned to the weather channel for an update....if we do get rain off of it, it'll at least not be the bad end of the deal. (we hope)

And Im just kidding you,belts are pretty pricey,and if they will bale ,keep on baleing,I do some custom work and work a small crew,really cant afford to be down in the peak............good luck PS ten dollars for the weiner dog ?

Good pictures, jersey lilly. Beautiful sunset. Looks like you folks are having about as much fun haying as we are trying to bale our swamps. Like they say, "it sure beats eating a snowdrift." Keep a clickin' the camera.

May be a piece of Sh*t to you, but at least I dont hafta pay someone to come bale my hay, or have a big bank note payin off equipment. I"m not low rating anyone for having new equipment. It's kinda like yer bulls...you buy what you can afford and hope it's an improvement over what you were doing before. The way I see it. In the past we've had to pay someone $18 to $20 a bale to come do it for us, and that was usually showin up 6 weeks or so after it needed layed down. that's a whole cuttin missed just because they didnt have time to get to us. So if that means I hafta git out there n sweat raking hay while hubby bales it..so be it...As long as it makes a roll and the cows get fed...that's my goal. Not once in all the years we've been feedin cows have I had one walk away cuz we put out a ugly bale of hay.

May be a piece of Sh*t to you, but at least I dont hafta pay someone to come bale my hay, or have a big bank note payin off equipment. I"m not low rating anyone for having new equipment. It's kinda like yer bulls...you buy what you can afford and hope it's an improvement over what you were doing before. The way I see it. In the past we've had to pay someone $18 to $20 a bale to come do it for us, and that was usually showin up 6 weeks or so after it needed layed down. that's a whole cuttin missed just because they didnt have time to get to us. So if that means I hafta git out there n sweat raking hay while hubby bales it..so be it...As long as it makes a roll and the cows get fed...that's my goal. Not once in all the years we've been feedin cows have I had one walk away cuz we put out a ugly bale of hay.

Good attitude! There are too many out there who think that if someone is doing anything different than they are, they are wrong. Well, they ain't! We all use what we want and can afford and if someone else don't like it, ts! I had the next size smaller baler and when I kept it in good shape, it worked well. They sure havbe lots better ones now, but they didn't have any then thaty I could afford. And I can't afford any now! Give 'em hell Jersey! :lol:

Jinglebob said:

Good attitude! There are too many out there who think that if someone is doing anything different than they are, they are wrong. Well, they ain't! We all use what we want and can afford and if someone else don't like it, ts! I had the next size smaller baler and when I kept it in good shape, it worked well. They sure havbe lots better ones now, but they didn't have any then thaty I could afford. And I can't afford any now! Give 'em hell Jersey! :lol:

I agree- My favorite make and model of all equipment is C.H.E.A.P. :wink: :lol:

Latest posts