• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A few pictures from February 6th

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
GreydayatGooseLake.jpg

Gray day at Goose Lake
CowsbyGooseLake.jpg

Cows by Goose Lake
Hornaboutreadytogrowintothecowshead.jpg

Horn about ready to grow into the cows head. I cut it off with
obstetrical wire on two handles
Whentheeveningshadowsgrowlong.jpg

When the evening shadows grow long
Wheneveningshadowsfall.jpg

Evening shadows fall
Heifersatsundown.jpg

Heifers at sundown
Wesurelikeourprettyyellowtags.jpg

Pretty yellow ear tags
SundownontheRickettMeadow.jpg

Sundown on the Rickett Meadow
Comingacrossthemeadow.jpg

Coming across the meadow
Cowsatdusk.jpg

Cows at dusk

Great pics soapweed, as always.

We have a couple cows that have horns that look like that but they are floppy, what we call banana horns. Not very long, curl under against their head, but they flop, so we dont worry bout cuttin em off. Did however hafta cut off one on a hereford cow this past summer. she only has one horn, and it was gettin close to her eye, broke the other one off when we moved em in the trailer one time. Broke the wooden handles out of the horn shears and just happened to have a pair of bolt cutters in the truck so we used them.

Soapweed---as always, great pix!! Thank you for taking the time to share with the rest of us...your place looks so PEACEFUL that it would surely fill the heads of city-folk with sweet dreams! :D

Great photos, Soapweed.

We use yellow eartags on all our cows. Husband is so color blind he can't see the other colors. That can get real interesting when he helps someone sort in an alley by eartag color!

And we've used wire to dehorn when we had Herfords. It works great. No blood to speak of. Seems to kind of cauterize as it goes through.

4th one down from the top gets blue ribbon , soap.
You grouped the darks, have different shapes, different textures and the blue sky complements the gold so well. Makes me want to start painting again.

We had to cut 2 ingrown horns off a couple of cross bred cows this year. One cow we used the recipocating saw and it worked slick the other we used OB wire which worked good also. just one of those regular maintenence jobs that come up. We are getting more straight bred angus cows in the herd every year so those horn issuses will soon disappear.

Nice of you to share pictures of your place. However, you may be revealing the beauty of the sandhills to too many people. We don't want anymore people to move in on us. :D

Your cows look ta be in good shape soapweed,I never have used that obstetrical wire to cut horns with seems like a good idea,be easy to carry in a vet box,where did you get it ?I carry a small ratchet type cable cutter that electricians use it makes short work of cutting & tipping horns............good luck

Great pictures.

I have a silly question - - - when we worked calves this fall one hiefer had horns and we dehorned her. Now I have two steers with horns ( this is about 4 months later) - - - - I'm sure they did not have horns when we worked them last fall - - - Am I crazy or can they sprout later???? I'm going to feed them out and as such if they don't cause trouble I doubt I will dehorn now but I have never had this before. It is not unusual for me to have a couple of calves with horns but I have always cut them at the fall work.

Latest posts